1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grudges

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

To keep this in the shooting discussion thread

I have had some hard feelings with some about shooting from the different yardage---Some will challenge your shooting ability and how you post on TSs depending how well you shoot---I don't judge a person on ability---I judge on the persons character.I know some that can't shoot beyond the 21 yd line but I'll put them against any with no character from the 27 yd line---It's what's in the heart that counts---Did you ever hear of the educated derelict?
    Well I know of some that pride themselves on TSs by their average.In this sport we need all---From the 16yd line on up to the 27 and all AA27AA and below.---I shoot along side of some of the best and at the end of the day they break the same bread---Our sport is dwindling----27yd liners should adjust to respect all----Without the all there will be none----I had my reason to post this but read and beware----JMO----George@SJB

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In the restricted arenas of "How to shoot" or "What choke should I use for long-yardage handicap?" it's probably not "What's in the heart" that counts. In contrast, things like "Do you shoot with even reasonable skill" or "Have you ever actually shot from the 27 in ATA events?" are probably more important in terms of taking the forthcoming advice seriously.

Over the years I have known all kinds of people with good hearts but no understanding of shooting at all and though I might ask them about a lot of things, I'm never going to ask them how to shoot. Nor, unfortunately, does it seem that they will ever ask me.

I recall a very nice lady from the West - with a heart in exactly the right place - who posted "What chokes do you use for doubles?" I emailed her - based on what I was reading for replies - that she should have added "And what's your average?" for the reasons I cited above.

She replied that she didn't care; she just wanted to know what they use. Now that's what I call "non-judgemental acceptance" to the point of craziness.

She's not here any more.

And how about the guys who advocate more difficult targets who either don't shoot or when they do can't break anything? It is off limits to point that they can't hit them now? The thing is, there is a big audience here and since many don't know the players, it's sometimes important to point out who have earned their right to hold the bullhorn, who haven't. After all, George, this _is_ trapshooters.com, not eHarmony.

Neil

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I think George is refering to the ones who belittles others with lower averages and shorter yardages as useless no nothings to the game of trapshooting.

As George stated, we are all in this together but without each other we are no one. Good truthful post.

Bill

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Reality.. What a concept. Jeff

A wise Uncle once told me that the only thing average people can teach you is how to be average. Harsh? Maybe but all in all pretty true. Jeff

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

You can be above average but humble----I think it was Reagan who said that---
    George@SJB

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Jeff---who said anything about teaching average---Average is top of the bottom and bottom of the top----There's nothing about average in my thread----George

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"A wise Uncle once told me that the only thing average people can teach you is how to be average. Harsh? Maybe but all in all pretty true. Jeff"

Jeff, That's not necessarily true. A good coach who is only a average player in the game knows how to bring out the best in his players taking them to levels higher than he can achieve himself..

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Many coaches who ever played the game(football,basketball,baseball)were average @ best----Just egotist think that way in my opinion---SJB

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I was just agreeing with Neil. Lots of experts out there that know nothing. It's nice to get advice from somebody who has been there. I personally have never witnessed 27 yard guys being rude to short yardage/low average guys because of that.

I have witnessed every average group of shooters be rude to every other average at one time or another.

I have also witnessed guys in Million dollar motor homes not say high to the passing shooter who says high to them.

Is it because the guy is a dick or a long yardage shooter? I do not know but I do know that that is just life.

Life is hard friend. It ain't all peaches and cream. Jeff

10. Neil Winston

If you want to see how far this ecumenism can be taken, drop over to the friendliest site. In the trap section there are several really good shots who could,if they were not muzzled by the friendliness dictum, really help a certain kind of struggling shooter. But instead they follow the mantra of "positive affirmations" and never tell people what they need to hear: "You are going to have to get serious and try to figure out why you hit some now and then, but usually you don't" would be a start. Instead the poor guy only hears "Well, if you can hit five you can hit them all" and nonsense like that.

Just recently Z3 decided his gun didn't shoot straight and rather than test it, gave it to "an experienced shooter" who was going to tell him, I suppose, whether he was right. No one, all of them good shots as I said, pointed out that this is just crazy. Now he's buying a new gun!

There is a point at which you just have to tell it as you see it. There are people here who know more than some of the other people here. Are they just supposed of give their advice and not cite their credentials? What results is a bunch of readers who, because they don't know who to trust, go away thinking "Well, I guess there are two sides to it." But there aren't two _equal_ sides, often there is a right side and a wrong side.

So, in order to get readers to recognize your side as the "right" one you sometimes have to contrast your credentials against those of the proponent on the other side. They can post their own credentials and let the readers decide. But why would anyone think that the fact that they don't know anything should somehow be a defense against having that pointed out?

Neil

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks ctreay---I can't go past a day---Tomorrow is too important---Hope more read your post----Forgive and forget----George@SJB

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Neil---I'll have to go over that a few times but what did you say? George

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well.. likes-to-shoot. You are right in one thing.

What I said is not not necessarily true.

You keep searching through the cow pies looking for a gold nugget.

I will just take my lessons from the expeert who is also an excellent coach.

Maybe it can be done but I will not spend my time looking for an average shooter to teach me how to be above avarge.

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Jeff---How did we ever start talking about avarge----George

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

A very accomplished target shooter - state champion several times - once gave me some advice when I was down in the dumps about how poorly I was shooting:

Ed, remember: if you are shooting poor scores, no one cares. If you are shooting good scores, they care even less. A good reality check.

Regards, Ed

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Ed---I hope everyone shoots good scores---To me everyday is a good score---even if it's average----I know some that would wish to have an average day---
    George

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

George, yes, I agree...my story was just relating some of the "sage" advice heard around the club house...all said in good humor. Regards, Ed

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Regards to you to Ed----Talk again later---George

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've only been shooting trap for about 55 years and have never, even once, heard an accomplished shooter disparage any shooter for her/his average or ability.

I have, however, heard this old saw about top shooters "disrespectin'" the good ol' boys for as long as I've been in the sport and I have to call BS. I think that some folks just think that people are being watched them and talked about because they aren't as good as they like to be. I think it's a function of an inferiority complex more than anything real.

If those of you who have these feelings will just go up to a top shooter at your club and introduce yourself and ask to pick their brain or ask for some help, you will, almost without exception, begin a conversation that could very well make you a better shooter.

What I like about trapshooting is that it can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of their ability. That's why we have classes and handicap yardage ...... and you can shoot until you physically can't anymore. What a wonderful sport trapshooting is.

20. Neil Winston

George,if that was too complicated,try this: We are not in elementary school anymore; not everyone gets a gold star.

Knowledge is hard-won and often time-comsuming and expensive. Why let someone try to bluff his way to contest what someone has learned the hard way, the honest way? After all, the worst of the paper-hangers here are just typing; how much can their "feelings" be involved? What good is served by not making them defend their positions when they are just telling stories, or repeating some guff they heard at the club as fact, or simply making it up?

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.