1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grt Lakes Grand good or bad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Newport 90T, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Newport 90T

Newport 90T TS Member

What was your opinion of this years Great Lakes Grand.

Thought it ran quite well on Wednesday.

One thing I noticed, quite a few of the option money was refunded due to lack of entries!

Will this keep the Big Name shooters from attending?

Can they continue to advertise as the World's Best Place To Shoot?

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I thought the shoot went very well. Squads called in good time and pulling and scoring very good. not many people attending. Weather good. A bunch of short squads 3 man and 4 man. i saw the payoff sheets and seems not many played the purse. Even the lewis class was not played by most people. Check the payoff sheets and I agree that some of the options were refunded. Targets were perfect. motordoc

3. JGS

JGS Member

Great people running the shoot, great background (There aren't any bad banks), and the targets were well set. A great place to shoot, although we could do with a few less mosquitos in the early morning.

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

It was a good shoot. First two flights were about half empty for most events until later in the week. I don't know about Sunday, but I don't think they had more than about 80 squads all week, which was disappointing. Got a little warm late in the week, but the targets were great for the most part.

Just looked at Presquad for Michigan State. Almost nobody has squadded yet.

I don't get it. Mason is a terrific place to shoot, and it's one of my favorites.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's a great facility.

Well run shoot with the great improvements by Liz and Jerry.

The economy has devastated Michigan and it's reflected by attendance and people not buying.

Jim

6. cl3

cl3 TS Member

The economy can never rebound or be robust until the price of oil gets back to the $40 range. This means that shoots will continue to be low in attendance and options will not be played. Nick Bare

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

As I look back at all the places I have shot at, Mason is my favorite. That goes back a lot of years and a lot of states

8. Lord Maker

Lord Maker Member

It felt like less people than last year.

Still waiting on my payoff check.

Really could use less of the PA system while people are shooting. Seemed like the trailer cherry herding announcement went on forever.

9. Mike

Mike Member

Things generally good. We got lucky with the weather again this year. It is time to get rid of the PA system and the loud announcements just as you call for a target. I can't beleive there's speakers behind the benches pointing at the fields! The best system is FM radio, every car and RV has reception.

10. BigM-Perazzi

LM, I'd be sure and call Jerry and tell him you haven't received your payoff check yet.

After all, the final scores were posted Sunday nite, and it's already Wednesday!!

You did ask for direct deposit, right???

11. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Great shoot. Can't understand why more from close by states don't attend. I've been going for about ten years and I always tell everyone it's as good a place to shoot as there is.

Mark Zauhar

12. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I'm very proud of the facility we have at Mason. Great campgrounds, excellent targets, and how many places that nice allow you to shoot practice targets at only $4.00 a round? People who don't attend Masons shoots are really missing out. I've shot in at least a dozen other states and by far Mason has the nicest facility's, (ok, maybe the Cardinal is nicer but I don't care for the larger trap houses).Try it, you'll like it!!!!

13. alf174

alf174 Member

Many big name shooters come for the All American points; because it can't be the payouts.

14. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had a GREAT time! Everything was FANTASTIC. Shot every event, every day and loved every minute of it. I commend the Staff of the MTA for a Great Job!
    Thank You,
    Mark S. Goss

15. savageo1

savageo1 Member

This is the shoot that really got me hooked on trapshooting. I love Mason and I will always try to make it to the GLG. Even if it is only for a day or two to shoot. Attendance seemed fairly good to me. It is harder for me to make this shoot on the 4th of July. Other things just conflict. Family activities, town festivals, etc. I sure wish it was still held on Memorial Day weekend. I know it rains. It rains on a lot of other shoots too. That's why we have rain gear. I think if the economy gets better and this shoot was moved back to the original week in May, things could get back to normal. Mason is a top notch shoot in my book!

16. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

From what I understand we have one more year with the GLG over the 4th of July.But we must also tell the ATA this year if we want it to stay the 4th or go back to the original date.(Memorial weekend)We need to let our Directors know what we the shooters would like. Let your voices be heard. I say go back & move the State shoot back where it has alwise been. JMO Jim

17. 3357

3357 Member

I second Jim's motion. Jess

18. BigM-Perazzi

19. brad patterson

brad patterson Active Member

It will be interesting to see if WI bids on the GLG now that they have a new homegrounds.

20. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

I was unaware that their was a bid process for the GLG Is their.