1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grrrr...3 shot spills...11 shells...Mec 650

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

My Mec 650 progressive loader is not dropping shot as it should. Everything is perfectly adjusted I believe...BUT?

I'm loading 28 gauge with #8 shot...and have had three shot spills after I have rotated the turrent, while loading only 11 shells..

The shot falls out when I rotate the turrent, instead of when I pull the lever (which is supposed to push the wad down and deposit the shot).

Always when time is short and you just want to load a couple of boxes quickly. Naturally...I've spent all the available time cleaning up the mess..grrr!

Can anyone tell me how to prevent the shot from hanging up in the drop tube..?

Thanks..Stan

2. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Are you using reclaimed shot?

3. StansCustoms

No sir..brand new mag shot...

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will have better luck using #9 shot in the 28. Also you can take the drop tube and with a round file open it up a little. HMB

5. StansCustoms

Thanks..HMB..

Filing the tube is a common practice..?

None of the shooters around here use #9 shot...many even use 7.5's for sporting clays..

6. djldb6

djldb6 Member

You have an odd problem, particularly with new shot. I load almost exclusively #8 in 410 on a MEC progressive hydraulic with no bridging issues at all. 7.5's will choke it up something fierce but not #8. Something must be off if you are getting bridging in 28ga.

Definitely take the shot tube out and make sure a little chunk of shot bag or such isn't hiding down there. The suggestion to file the inside of the tip of the tube is a good one since perhaps there is a little burr on the edge grabbing the shot.

Finally, maybe you got an "off" bag of new shot that is either oxidized or not graphited too well or mislabled.

Good luck,
    Dan

7. StansCustoms

Thanks Dan..

I was thinking I might spray some dry silicone down the tube and try it again.

But I will give the filing a try that HMB suggest...after I inspect the tube for an obstruction.

I have a couple other loaders...if the tubes are the same (20 ga., .410), I guess I could just try another tube too..?

Thanks..Stan

8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Stan,

I have a 650 and a 9000 in 28ga. Have probably loaded 10-15 thousand shells on each one in the last several years. I have never had the problem you describe on any of my MEC presses for that matter. I would suggest that you check the drop tube for any obstructions ---like a bug caccoon if the press has sat for a long time. By the way all of my presses have steel drop tubes. If yours is one of the plastic ones, you might check the inside of that tube for molding flash. i.e. Burrs left by the plastic injection machines that the tube was manufactured on. Third you can slow down your stroke on the press handle and listen to make sure that the shot drops. I always stop at the bottom of the stroke for a second or two to listen and notice that everything is going correctly. If you dont have a manual for that machine, you should download one from the MEC website. A 9000G manual might also be helpful as it has a troubleshooting section that can answer most questions. Both those loaders operate the same except the 9000 automatically indexes. If none of those suggestions help----call MEC

Chuck

9. Bridger

Bridger Member

I had the problem years ago with a .410 that hung up. The problem almost certainly is a burr in the shot tube. It might look fine but a small burr is about all it takes. Use some emory paper or other fine abrasive to smooth it out. If all else fails, call MEC for a new tube.

10. WJN

WJN TS Member

If it isn't the tube - watch the charging bar and it's movement. Make sure it is moving when it is supposed to and isn't hanging up. Make sure the springs and catches are all functioning properly.

Jim

11. StansCustoms

Well..I just finished with a very small half round fine file...really didn't feel anything but spent some time on it anyway. Also took some emory cloth and rolled it up in a tube and worked the inside of the tube with that as well.

Then I thoroughly cleaned the tube with a heavy thick patch soaked with dry silicone spray...then chased it with several clean dry patches.

Everything seems to be working now...loaded two boxes without incident.

...then ran out of wads...thought I had another bag, wrong!!...hrummph, still no loading for a day or two...LOL.!

Thanks for all the suggestions fellows...much appreciated.

Stan...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.