1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

growing tomatoes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by robervl, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robervl

robervl TS Member

What is the secret to growing health plants that produce?

2. twostraight

twostraight Member

Plant em deep, at least 3/4 of the tomato set in the ground. Don't water much, 1 to 2 X per week. Fertilize biweekly

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

My tomato plant is allmost 10 feet tall with lots of tomatos. The key is lots of water.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with smsnyder on this one. I used to raise over an acre of tomatos and two acres of peppers. The peppers need to be watered only when they start to droop but the tomato needs water

5. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

My Father used to put Epsom salts around the base of the plant. I have no idea why and I never asked him. But he always kept a wooden barrel filled with a mixture of water and manure that he watered the plants with time to time. He always had a great garden.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Dont use miriacl grow.. you will have giant plants and no tomatoes.. I had 500 plants one year.. I guess I have the right soil for them,, never watered or fertilized them.. this year I only have 2.. they will produce more than 2 faimlys can eat..

7. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

epsom salts were for blossom rot(dark rotten spots on the bottom of tomato's due to calcium deficiency). powdered milk wokrs well also.

i_shoot

8. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you don't have the area for a real garden, consider an Earth Box. Self contained, water reserve, cannot over water, no nematodes. Can use on apartment balcony or around the pool. We have nine of them and they are fool proof. Ace Hardware sells the kits. Go to earthbox.com
    Mike Battista

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Use fish emulsion and bone meal. Best kept tomato fertilizer secret. The water is the other secret. Lots of water.

10. twostraight

twostraight Member

Rub the leaves with castor oil and spray the flowers with turpentine everytime you water.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that I use gunpowder for fertilizer

12. ctreay

ctreay Member

I use gunpowder on the critters that get in my garden!

ctreay

13. avery53

avery53 Member

Fish emulsion works great, just don't get any on you.
    Wife doesn't care for the smell. LOL

14. porky

porky TS Member

Fish emulsion works well, liquid fertilizer works also. Blossom end rot is caused by the lack of magnesium in the soil. Epsom salts has it in it. People also put a bit of milk in the hole to give the plant some calcium. Plants need about an inch of water a week. Keep area around plants free of weeds. It helps to mulch the area because the roots will run 3-4 feet away from the plant as a minimum just below th surface, so you can't hoe or run a tiller around the plants to eliminate the weeds after they start growing. Break off the bottom branches up to a foot from the ground and hill the tomato plants up the stalk about a foot and then additional roots will grow there. It will pay to stake the plants on a trellis because walking around the plants that are laying on the ground will eventually damage them because you will step on them, plus the tomatoes themselves will ripen more evenly and be a lot cleaner.

15. robervl

robervl TS Member

Thanks for all your advise i will give it a whirl.
    Thanks Vance

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have good luck with miracle grow. More tomatoes from 2 plant than we could eat.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Miracle Gro Tomato works as long as you follow the directions and don't get carried away. I like the fish emulsion more. There is some stink that goes with it but it ain't that bad.

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I believe that end rot meaning lots of flowers and hardly any tomatoes is from extremely wet conditions which causes a calcium deficiency, not a magnesium deficiency.

I like FERTILOME Tomato plant spray. It works if one has end rot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.