1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing the ATA Membership

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

Of the options listed below, which option would have the better chance of increasing the number of ATA shooters and the number of ATA targets thrown?

Option#1: Take all the money and trophies out of ATA registered shooting. Eliminate class assignments for singles and doubles. Eliminate yardage assignments for handicap; everyone shoots from the same handicap yardage. You leave with only a piece of paper showing a complete listing of names and scores for each event sorted in descending sequence starting with the highest score. Entry fees would be significantly lower.

Option #2: Replace all the money and trophies in the current system with a mandatory money pot for each event. Every shooter would be required to put X number of dollars in a pot for each event they shoot. The money in each pot would then be distributed to the shooters who shot the complete event based on a random drawing system. There would be multiple winners for each pot but each name that was drawn would receive the same amount of money. Eliminate class assignments for singles and doubles; everyone shoots from the same handicap yardage.

Option #3 - option 1 or 2 will not increase ATA membership and the number of ATA targets thrown.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

3. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

4. 548

548 Guest

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Agree with above. #3

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

3, the ATA is dieing a slow death. Failure to adapt to changing demographics will be the end of them.

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Definitely option 3

8. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Oh I am not sure about a slow death, we just built a new club 2 years ago and have doubled our ATA membership from 4 to 9 in Pondera county, that is a lot more than you would think and I am guessing we will get 2 to 3 more this coming year. Scott

9. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

10. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

We could DOUBLE the ATA membership in one year if everyone who shoots now would take a buddy to the club and introduce them to the sport, AND sharing the travel expenses with another cuts the cost in half for both.

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

trapwife,

With all due respect, I could not disagree more.

Jon Reitz

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

The best way to make this sport grow is for all of us to get someone on the trap line and show them how much fun this sport can be.

We all were introduced to this sport by someone.

13. yakimaman

A lot of people start this "sport" shooting in local non-ATA trap leagues and really, really enjoy it only to be driven away by the ATA experience. I see no growth for ATA; they've nothing at all to offer new shooters.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

trapwife,

nothing wrong with your logic but as you already know Trapshooting is not the social sport it was years ago. Heck, even the favorite restaurants during shoot weeks are seldom full. Trap is getting much closer to Skeet-no money-plenty of trinkets and less socializing. ATA Trap is dieing a slow death.

#3-without a doubt!!

15. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yakimann - could not agree more. I LOVE trap - but I hate ATA events because of the length and down time in them. It is simply impossible to go to an event and shoot all 3 events and get out of there before the next morning. Sorry, but I do not enjoy an 8 hour day with just 3 hours of shooting. I have urged that events not only pre-squad, but also run the events concurrently so you could, if you wished, get in and out in 4 hours (or less). It works for sporting clays - why not trap?

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wolfman,

Sounds like you need to find some better organized and run ATA shoots. A properly run shoot can push through a healthy amount of shooters through all (3) events and be done by early early afternoon even at some small 6 traps and less clubs. I agree that nobody likes to drive home in the dark from a small Saturday/Sunday shoot. There are some local clubs in my area I refuse to attend for this very reason.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

yakimaman, you're right about leagues. Our local Trap league has over 370 shooters on Sundays in Winter. We actually experienced some growth this year while ATA shoots suck. We've got great people in charge with more shooters already pledged for next year. ATA shoots have simply become expensive practice and with free reductions no need to support the small clubs.

I can tell you how not to get more ATA members. Just tell a prospective member after joining he will now have the ability to pay $33/100 targets and a chance at winning a belt buckle or crystal trinket. That oughta pull 'em in!!

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Shooting doubles first in the program is problematic for those that don't shoot them. Doubles need to be last.

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

As I am winding down my trap shooting at age 78, I often wonder why I shot so many registered targets? The shooting games have always been much more fun and not so serious. I feel the registered shooting is an expensive practice? I am nearing 75,000 handicap targets and wonder if it is really that important. I look forward to the games. Registered just a ho-hummer. Half of our Club shooters are non ATA.
    Clyde

20. yakimaman

And that "doubles first" thing is an absolute PITA! Only local (and that's 45 miles one way) club I can use to get ATA targets does that - 100s or Big 50 - get there early to squad, sit all morning while the regulars shoot doubles and get warmed up, then sit for more time while they eat, then singles and finally handicap - only place I can get targets in so I'm done with ATA - will shoot two leagues instead and if I want to shoot at a registered shoot I will just take the penalty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.