1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GROW TRAPSHOOTING, IT IS OVERDUE! REWARDING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Primedust, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Do you want your club, your state associations and your shooting base to grow and prosper making our sport stronger and healthier for the next generations? It is not hard! But it takes some work, determination, and action by everyone of us! The answers are simple. Get involved.

One of the best ways is to start a AIM/SCTP program within your club. Get one or two members certified through a coachs course and have at it. If you can shoot and communicate with others you can teach kids to shoot. It is extremly rewarding. It is pretty simple for one coach and 3 or 4 others to teach 30 youths ages 12-23 to shoot ATA registered targets. When that light bulb turns on Watch out!

Another way, get your state association to host part or all of the costs for youth shooters at your state shoot! Minnesota Trapshooters Association pays for targets and shells on the youth day at the State Shoot and it brings over 175 youths to the shoot. AIM or SCTP is shot the following week end.

Another way, host a womens only trapshooting day. Pay for the rounds and shells. Teach them a crash gun safety course, show them how to shoot trap and feed them for free. We have to turn shooters away at my club. Women bring their daughters over the age of 12 and eventually the whole family starts shooting because mom loves it! By the way the local hockey, football, baseball, basketball, and golf coachs won't like you to much, but hey who cares!

A very good way, research the trap clubs that used to throw registered targets in your state, but don't anymore. Find out who they are. Approach them on throwing registered youth only and or new signup ATA members at their club grounds. This works great! Clubs are now coming to us and asking if they can host these shoots. We get more shooters at one of these shoots than most of the other shoots. No peer pressure form the elite. Same rules as ATA with the same prices. We provide trophies for 1st and 2nd places for each of the 4 classes. ATA and association fees are added, and we always throw in a special prize as a raffle type item, such as a gun or 5 cases of shells. etc. Lewis classes can be added also. Do this shoot as a chain shoot with 3 or 4 clubs involved. Youths must shoot 3 clubs to be eligible for the high over all trophy, but all shooters are eligible for the special prizes drawn at the last shoot of the chain. Be ready to sign on allot of new ATA members! This is a great way to bring back those clubs that have faded away due to poor or no attendance. It can also be done with registered clubs still throwing targets too! This kind of shoot,for new shooters,gets the whole family shooting on that day. Provide a meal and drinks, or ask for donations or sponsors for your event and trophy costs. This is an excellent opportunity to teach them how to squad, sign up for a shoot, cashier, find a field,and how to score and record there scores! No peer pressure, no long lines with crabby veterans, and happy shooters whom will come back time after time and bring friends and family back with them.

Instead of looking at the same 15 to 25 shooters, grow your sport! Be active!
    I teach on Tuesdays and Fridays for AIM. I assist anyone else on Wednesday, Thursdays, or the weekends that need or ask for assistance. Any time I am at a club I try to help someone shoot better. The smiles and rewards are endless.

Another way, ever see that stranger who pulls into your club lot, looking around, but too shy to talk to anyone, and leaves. Approach them, welcome them to the club. Ask them if they have any questions or can we assist you in shooting today? Offer them the use of your gun or a club gun. Buy their 1st round. Help them! Your club will grow.

Welcome every one that comes to your club personally! Thank them for coming. Assist them to have a great time. Become useful to others! This is a fantastic sport! Share it with others. Host a community program, a blood drive, a food shelf benifit, a disabled or ill benifit for a fellow trap shooter or person whom just plain needs it. Do the fund raising as a denomination per target hit. You will be surprised! The rewards are endless!

Post your scores in the paper every week. Post special accomplishments in the paper too! Thank the sponsors for the donations personally and in the local papers. Post your community involvement in the papers also. Get noticed, get to be a town name!

WE can all do better. Join me! Lets grow this sport. WE are a minority but don't have to be.

Thanks
    Primedust
    Mark Stevens
    ATA/NRA/SCTP/AIM Coach
    Buffalo, MN.

2. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Ohio gal, you've got me. The mind set with some of these clubs is off the wall. In some cases we have more shooters at a youth only event than the big clubs do, and our target prices are the same. With $23.00 targets we are looking at a gross profit of around 39% for the club. (Costs are around $14.00 per round per shooter with labor on 100 targets) Figured on 5 shooters.or $45.00 per squad. If the gun club is not open, what did they make? -0-. The gun clubs insurance, mortgage, loans or notes, power, water and wear and tear continue every day. Shooting or not! Not many business's get that kind of margin. With donations for youth targets etc. the profits climb in a hurry.

The too much liability doesn't hold water as if they are a gun club already, the liability insurance had better be there. The shooting sports don't even rank in the top 125 most dangerous sports. Football, baseball, and even table tennis are more dangerous statistics wise!

Perhaps the club management is not dedicated to building and growing the club. Some clubs are non profit and don't want the money . Do they have updated facilities, an extra trap field, new lights, parking lot etc. uses extra profits. Others are just good old boys clubs. They don't want women or youth. This backwards thinking will eventually cause the club to die. Or just donate the money to me! Ha! I have lots of uses for it!

I am not going to lie to you. It takes some hard work and dedication to get this sort of thing going. The paper work is not bad. But someone has to be able to show you the ropes.

The rewards are endless. It starts with two or three dedicated persons and before you know it there are a dozen or more trying to jump on the wagon. The problem is convincing some of the good old boys clubs to open up!

Good luck Ohio Gal,
    Hope to see you at a shoot some day.

Prime dust

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.