1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Grouse or Woodcock Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Member

I am pondering the purchase of a nice Grouse & Woodcock gun. I would appreciate suggestion or comments on that subject. I have been to Orvis...LL Beans...et al. Thanks Bruce.
  2. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

You need light weight, short barrels, quick handling, and open chokes.
  3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I love my light, quick-handling 16ga Citori w/ 26" bbls.

-Gary
  4. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

I have a 28gage browning 26 sksk in perfect shape #1500.00 great for hunting
  5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Beretta Silver Hawk SXS 20 gauge.
  6. Garry

Garry Member

Setterman,

I just looked at the Beretta website but it's lacking on specifications.

Can you provide the weight, LOP, DAC, DAH and cast?

Thanks
  7. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Member

I hunt grouse a lot, my favorite is a Beretta 20 gauge 686 with an English stock. Don't get anything too heavy.

David
  8. Kerz

Kerz TS Member

I hunted grouse for several years with a Remington special field 12 gauge. English stock and 21 inch barrel. Execellent handling gun. I did have the stock cut to better fit heavy colthes for the winter.
    Vic
  9. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I had a 28 ga. Remington 1100. worked like a charm.
  10. seitz647

seitz647 Member

Most sxs20ga or 28ga will be of suitable wieght - I would not go with 26 inch barrels - 28 inch will give you better wieght distribution and swing much smoother - 28 ga with 28 inch barrels double triggers is all you'll need - I hunt alot of grouse and woodcock and many have fallen with this combo - AYA,Arietta,are nice guns - good luck J Mroczka
  11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sorry Garry, sold it to a friend. 28" barrels are best. They have little cast. The LOP can be changed easily.
  12. 16gun

16gun Member

bkt14 find yourself a 28" O-frame Parker 16 gauge with IC and MOD chokes (double triggers) and your search for the perfect grouse/woodcock gun will be over. You will pay for it but it is worth every penney. Once you get the gun find a good english setter, train him well, and you will be as close to heaven as humanly possible. Good luck. Jerry
  13. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

My favorite was my SKB280E 20 guage sidexside imp/imp 4 1/2lbs
    I just sold it last year, wish I would have kept it....Ron
  14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Active Member

About time we had a thread of some importance on here. Nothing wrong with the old Belgian Brownings 20 or 28 if you find it. They carry well as do a 16ga Mdle 12 with a "dial a choke" on the end. Any number of SXS's if you can get one that fits and has a decent trigger. More important than the gun, is just being there, it's why we put up with the rest of the year. I used to love Brittanies until Annie, an English Setter found me. So now I'm back to a work in progress while she's training me. Enjoy it while we can :)
  15. Blaser F3

Blaser F3 TS Member

CZ 28gauge side by side very light and inexpensive
  16. smsnyder

smsnyder Active Member

Franchi semi in 20 gauge. weights about 5 pounds and a pleasure to carry and shoot.
  17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Traphooters spend a fortune on their trapguns but are skinflints when it comes to field guns. Dr. Flanagan, founder of Grouse Ridge Setters said,
    agebtleman hunts with an English Setter and a ide by side. I took that to heart. I routinely shoot a Perugini,Visini 20Ga. whioch weighs a bit over 5 pounds. It is wonderfully lively and a real pleasure to carry and to shoot. It is also a beauty to look at. I shoot 3/4 oz number 8 shot which I find more than sufficient for the task at hand.

When I had a vision problem with my right eye I was forced to start shooting fro9m the left shoulder. While this was a bit of a challenge at trap, it was a major re-adjustment in the field. Having to mount and shoot at a rapidly retreating bird from the "wrong side" took a great deal of time and effort but the light-weight and lively little 20 Ga. made the task "doable".

Get a good SxS and hunt like a gentleman. Remember, they are not old fashioned or antiques but the zenith of the gun makers art.
  18. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I just bought a Gambia 28 guage. It is made in Italy and is a copy of the 391 Beretta. The only place I have seen them is Shooting Supplies by Shelia.
  19. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Active Member

To Hell with tradition, when I went I used a Rem 1100 LT-20 bored skeet!
  20. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I like my 20 gauge Rem 1100 Special Field. Improved cylinder barrel, now only if there were some birds around here to hunt!!

GneJ
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.