1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Grounding the reloader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kene, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kene

kene TS Member

Some folks at the club talked about the need to electrically ground the reloasder - especially the powder bottle - to keep static electricity from messing with the powder drop weight / volume. almost makes some sense to me but am wondering what others do / think about this. useful in all climates or just one more thing to think about that doesn't add anything?

thanks for your thoughts

kene
  2. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

I’m not sure if grounding is required though I think most manufactures recommend it. The loader is normally bolted down to a work bench. I would be interested to know if anyone has noticed if a proper copper ground (to the ground or your home ground wire) makes a difference with static build up?

I do put a fabric softener sheet in the top of the powder drop (using the cap to hold it in place) this prevents static in the powder and I get a clean drop.
  3. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

And loaders should work over a rubber matt under your chair or feet when playing with powder. I also touch something else before I touch powder to ground myself. It's a bit over the top..but you never know. It takes one little static snap to make for a very bad day.
  4. philk

philk Member

If the loader is grounded, won`t that cause you to spark to the loader ?
  5. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov TS Member

I haven't noticed much difference one way or the other. I only notice static during the winter months and having the loader grounded didn,t help as much ad a dryer sheet did.

Bob M.
  6. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack TS Member

Please explain how you "ground" a plastic powder bottles? Grubby
  7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wish they would ground the freezer cases in Wal Mart, they shock the fire out of me when I grab the handle. Is there a way I can ground my body while I'm shopping? WPT can you help with this since you are ts.coms Wal Mart Connection?
  8. autogun

autogun Member

To get rid of the static electricity, run a ground wire from the metal which your shot and powder bottle screw into to a good ground source like a copper water pipe. You will notice that powder dumped into the plastic bottle will dance around and stick to the sides when first going in but after a few hours the static will have dissipated. No more dancing, etc. Works well for me.
  9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

I've heard its better if you add humidity to the room during the winter when the heat dries out the humitity to much. At least in your loading room. A/C in the summer to keep the humidity from rising to much works very well down here. You can't get static in or on or out of plastic. I also place all powder back into the manufactorers containers after all loading is completed. This will also help, as the humitity can affect the powder more after it left in the loader for long periods of time. This is what works for me. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff
  10. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Member

The bottles are plastic...I dont understand how you grounding the plastic would discharge static. Remember when you we a kid, and you'd rub a balloon against a piece of cloth, the static charge would then make the balloon stick to the wall or anything else. If you touched the balloon to a copper water pipe (assuming its a good ground), would you discharge the static to ground??? Same principle right??
  11. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Not grounding the plastic, grounding the powder..that touches metal (inside the bottel at the drop point)The powder has a charge...we are talking about grounding that.
  12. JerryP

JerryP TS Member

There is no reason to try to ground the powder unless it holds a charge. How does one know powder holds a charge? Powder is coated with graphite, a conductor. Will a conductor hold a charge?
  13. Gil

Gil Member

Kene, Having loaded a ton of shells in Maryland and Arizona I don't make any effort to ground. I have never seen any effect of static electricty on the powder. If you are nervous be sure to ground. Water pipes are a fovorite in MD but here in AZ, not too much moisture. Do ground just to be sure. George Miller
  14. Gil

Gil Member

Kene, Having loaded a ton of shells in Maryland and Arizona I don't make any effort to ground. I have never seen any effect of static electricty on the powder. If you are nervous be sure to ground. Water pipes are a fovorite in MD but here in AZ, not too much moisture. Do ground just to be sure. George Miller
  15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Please ground it before you do anything else. It takes at least 25 different wires to properly ground a reloader. And don't forget the resistors that are needed for each wire.

On the other hand, you could just humidify the air and not need to go through all the meaningless BS that is supposed to cure static electricity and erratic powder drops.

ss
  16. kene

kene TS Member

thanks for all the comments -- I have lived and reloaded in climates from Seattle [a bit humid] to Albuquerque [other end of the humidity spectrum] and have not formally grounded the loader but it had enough "sneak paths" to keep any static build up pretty well controlled -- I say that because the bits of powder that would cling to the drop tube were very minor. All that said -- if running a ground wire [with a little resistance in it -- just like ESD wrist straps when working on electronics] from the loader to a good ground like cold water pipe or the houses ground spike is not too difficult then it is probably a good belts and suspenders idea. sparks [however unlikely] and powder don't go together and it can't hurt with keeping the drop weight consistent.

kene
  17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A strip of dryer sheet is the easy way. I sometimes use it, but do not have too many problems until winter comes.

HM
  18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Grounding your reloader doesn't really help with static and powder sticking to the plastic hopper tubes, but it also doesn't hurt anything.

Like halfmile said, the best thing to do is to hang a piece of dryer sheet in your hopper. Make sure it is secured so it doesn't interfere with the powder's pathway into the bushing.

And, like short shucker said, keeping the humidity up in the room where you are reloading also helps.
  19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Grounding your reloader only works if you have your tinfoil hat folded just right.
  20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

One could also simply just switch the two bottles around as well. The grafite on the shot bottle sides should keep the powder from sticking as well. Break-em all. Jeff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.