1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grounding my MEC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I'm droping 16.9 to 17.5 700 X I've tryed dryer sheets,and a baffel, but still get the veryation in powder drop. Will grounding help? and HOW do you do it?
    Butch H

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Trying to ground a non-conductive plastic bottle ranks right up there with sacrificing a chicken in the light of a new moon for effectiveness.

MK

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Open up your powder container for a while and let it soak up some moisture. This will greatly reduce the amount of static electricity present.

2nd thind to do, is empty all the powder (in the powder bottle) back into its appropriet container. Swirl some good factory shot, graphited of course, in the powder bottle while removed. Empty shot back into appropriet container and you'll be set.

ss

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Keeping a constant rhythm while pulling your handle is just as important, if not more so, than grounding your press. Especially the 'full-down' hesitation of the stroke.

IME,
    Kip

5. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

Are you using the red PC powder baffle or the metal one?

I had a similar problem using 700X and the metal baffle. Hogged out the drop tube real well, used a dryer strip halfway into the bottle, and was very careful to pause after each up and down stroke of the handle.

Problem went away. Good Luck.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A few years back there was trouble with 700X in a few lots. Jeff

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Butch, Your only plus or minus 3/10ths of a grain and while that is alot for 700X it is also very good for Red Dot. If you want to tighten it up a bit, might I suggest you not shake the machine as much while loading (bolt it down) or try the Graphit trick above, or just swap out bottles. Don't leave powder or shot in bottles. When I'm done loading both bottles get emptied and put away until the next time. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

for what its worth, I had the same problem with my Mec9000H. I load 17gr of 700X and it would range from 16.2 to 18.1. I posted the problem and got all kind of answers. First my loader is grounded and has always has been. Not for static in the bottle but but for static from me. I don't know if it is needed but it cant hurt. I also used a powder baffle and still do but for me it made no difference. Out of all the helpful replays I got the simplest worked the best. After you fill the powder bottle take your finger and tap the side of the bottle. You will see the powder settle. Yup thats it. Now with my loader the first 3 to 5 drops are still heavy but after that they stay 16.8 to 17.2 with about 90% of them right on 17gr. I dont want to be long winded but I found the fastest way for me is to unhook the return spring on the charge bar and work it by hand for 5 drops. Put the spring back on and you should be good to go. When your bottle gets low just refill it tap it and continue to load you shouldnt have any heavy drops at this point. But always check it. I think the first heavy drops are due to the loader sitting between use. I think the powder settles and gives me heavy drops to start Hope this helps, let me know. Bill

9. maka

maka Member

I have taken a #2 pencil and rub it all over the charge bar. The graphite in the pencil lead keeps the charge bar moving freely. I also tap the powder bottle to settle powder. As stated, hold handle down just a second or two at the bottom of stroke. Good luck.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Smooth consistent press operation is one thing to achieve. You need a certain amount of humidity for static to be a non-issue. If you DO decide to ground your loader, be sure to install a 1 Watt ! MegOhm resistor in series. It will limit the current that can go through the circuit for safety. It will have no effect on the ability to disperse static electricity. Almost ALL commercial EST Grounding devices have them in one place or another. I would NOT ground a loader without that resistor in the circuit.

Now for the reality. +/- .3 grains is sometimes a normal variation. I worry more about dropping 15.6 one day and then 17.1 another with the same lot of powder. If it's within reasonable limits, work on consistent press operation and make sure everything moves smoothly. Lube the press as required. Some graphite on the charge bar can help, plus you can dress it down on a stone to get the rough spots off of it. The bars are aluminum, so don't use your good stones.

11. gordy h

gordy h Member

Thanks to all, I'll keep you posted on how it works Butch H

12. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

To Unknown 1 Just because it is non-conductive dose not mean it can not be grounded, therefor preventing stactic biuld-up.

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Static electricity is not your problem. Static will cause the powder to stick to the walls of the bottle, but I don't think it will affect the drop. Even so, if you were to run a piece of aluminum tape the length of the bottle and then ground it with a wire to earth ground, that might help reduce the static.

What kind of scale/balance are you using? Do you have it sitting on the same surface as the loader? Do you have a ceiling fan running?

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

You know you have static when you go to dump your powder into your powder pan on your scale. If you are having a static issue, the flakes wont just fall out of your hull, they kind of fly out. And some will miss the pan all together. Make sure all of your powder is making it to the pan and that none of it is sticking inside your hull. I found that several good taps with my finger on the head of the hull is sometimes needed to get the last few flakes to fall out. Even with a static condition, my drops are right on the money +/- .1 gr with Rex 1 or Rex 2. Usually right on. I thought my dumps were all over the map too but once I took a lot more care in transferring the charge from the hull to the pan, the wild swings in charge weight went away.

Jeff

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What have done was to take some copper wire and rapped it around the bottle and then hose clamp the end to the metal at the base of the bottle. I took the other end and clamped it on the house phone grounding wire by the outside phone box. If you live in a newer house just ground it on the screw on your electric outlet. Same thing. I then went to the pet shop and got a ait rator for a fish tank and put that on the loader to vibrat the powder to fill the bushing. All this has helped

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

700X has been notoriously "cakey". When I had my MECs, I would never leave 700X sitting in the powder bottle when finished. I would empty the powder back into the keg when I was through for the day. Before start up the next time, I would pick up the keg and shake it up really well before refilling the powder bottle. I also used the adjustable charge bar and their aluminum powder baffle and had real good luck with this routine. 700X has always been my favorite powder, it just needs some extra attention. Good luck.

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

GoldEx, What you describe is simply static in the plastic hull. It is not in your loader or the powder.

Grounding a nonconductor does nothing to eliminate static electricity. It is "static" ,meaning is does not move. It is trapped because nonconductors do not conduct. It can only move by jumping to a lower potential. The static that cannot make the jump remains and that is what attracts the powder flakes on a hull. The fact that your powder drops are ok demonstrates that it is not a problem.

Grounding a loader does nothing but there is a small risk in connecting ones body the electrical circuit of the house. Yeah, a resistor can be added but most don't even know what that is, not to mention how attach it.

This grounding myth just goes on and on. Must be a hot topic at the gun clubs.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

waste of time and copper.

19. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

As Barry Roach said. Static electricity can only hold so much powder then it falls as set it. Try using a good powder scale. You'll find it'll be on the money after a few loads, and the first few won't matter anyway. Forget it and get on with it.

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"To Unknown 1 Just because it is non-conductive dose not mean it can not be grounded, therefor preventing stactic biuld-up."</I></blockquote>

If the jug is non-conductive (does not support the flow of an electric current) how do you propose to get the static charge to leave the jug and enter the grounding wire?

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

grounding a mec