1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ground your Re-loader ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grumpy Bear, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

I am re-building my re-loading bench and I need information on grounding the re-loader.
    I have re-loaded for years. Approx. 10,000 + loads using a used Mec, PW 375, PW 800 and now a
    new PW 800+. I never had any of the old loaders grounded, but read on here that they all should be.
    Please tell me why and how !! THANKS !!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If your powder drops are good there is no need to ground the reloader. If you want to ground it run a wire from the loader to tne nearest water pipe. HMB

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"If you want to ground it run a wire from the loader to tne nearest water pipe."</i></blockquote>...but this works only if you live in an older house with metallic (e.g. copper) water pipes. Plastic pipes don't conduct.

Keller

4. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

I just put a strip of fabric softener sheet in the powder hopper. the cap holds it in place. Ive never had a problem with static.

5. 87AA

87AA TS Member

The anti-static properties of dryer sheets only work when heat is applied, hence the reason they're used in the dryer. Don't believe me? Turn off the heat to your dryer and see how well a dryer sheet works. Your clothes my smell good but the static build up from the fabric rubbing together will still exist.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I had a problem with powder clinging to the sides of the bottle. rubber banded a dryer sheet to the outside of the bottle, problem solved. Bill

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 TS Member

Run a bottle full of shot thru your powder bottle. This obviously coats the inside & kills the static problem when your use it for powder again.

8. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

With an automate If you have a modern electrical system that is properly grounded the 3 prong plug with ground should do the job.

9. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Never ground anything to a water pipe, if you do your just asking for problems.

Take a ground wire hook it up to a plug and plug it in the wall out let. Just use the ground wire only do not hook up the other 2 wire if your using a 3 wire cord. I have my re-loaders all grounded this way.

10. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

I have never grounded a reloader. Has there been some sort of verified incident that would case me to want to ground one?

William

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I ran my ground wire to the phone copper ground wire. That ground wire is grounded to the power co ground. On their meters its reads a 0. They said that is what they want.

If you can't do that yourself then ground your loader to the center screw on your power outlet. I will say that the post above that said to ground your loader to the ground plug on the outlet is a good idea. Thats the round plug inlet.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I just wear tin foil hat!:)

13. nipper

nipper TS Member

i went and bought a 8 foot copper clad ground rod and some 3/4 inch flat copper grounding cable about 40 feet long to get to the ground rod, i think i am ok now....

14. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

Thank you all for your information. No water pipes close, but I like the suggestion about the ground
    wire only and the plug socket.
    Bill Grill please send pictures!!

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

FYI the screw that holds the outlet cover to the device is about as grounded as you can get.

Your light switch plate screws may be ok if your building is up to code.

Older buildings, you need to do some checking. I have one where a former owner cheated and put 3 wire devices on a two wire system just to get by the inspector.

HM

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Most likely one is grounding their loader every time they touch the loader. The static on the plastic powder reservoir cannot be eliminated by grounding anyway. Plastic is not a conductor. . It doesn't cause any problems anyway. That is not effecting powder drops, the loader is metal, my PW is metal, I assume a MEC is also. Anyone have powder sticking to the metal parts on a loader?

slayer, I can assure you that putting a dryer sheet on the outside of your powder reservoir does absolutely nothing for any static on he inside the the reservoir. It is impossible.

I would advise not grounding a loader to the home electrical system. Why risk exposing yourself to a ground fault problem.

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

do balloons cling to the hair on your head when you reload?

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I know a couple of guys who use PW loaders who also use this stuff. I don't know the particulars of their loader setups (wood bench, metal bench, grounded, not grounded). <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center> It contains dimeethyl Ditallow ammoniumchloride and it's supposed to make the surface of what it's sprayed on conductive so as to bleed off a static charge. Buy it at CVS and other fine stores. I tried it on the tube hopper on my PW loader once. It didn't hurt the plastic but I can't say if it did any good 'cause I don't have static problems. The MSDS information... oh, and I understand it sets off CO alarms.

Keller

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Put the dryer strip INSIDE the powder bottle. Hold it in place with the cap or cover.

Geez.

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

just spray it on the powder in the hopper?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.