Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ground your Re-loader ???

4K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  zzt 
#1 ·
I am re-building my re-loading bench and I need information on grounding the re-loader.
I have re-loaded for years. Approx. 10,000 + loads using a used Mec, PW 375, PW 800 and now a
new PW 800+. I never had any of the old loaders grounded, but read on here that they all should be.
Please tell me why and how !! THANKS !!

#5 ·
The anti-static properties of dryer sheets only work when heat is applied, hence the reason they're used in the dryer. Don't believe me? Turn off the heat to your dryer and see how well a dryer sheet works. Your clothes my smell good but the static build up from the fabric rubbing together will still exist.

#9 ·
Never ground anything to a water pipe, if you do your just asking for problems.

Take a ground wire hook it up to a plug and plug it in the wall out let. Just use the ground wire only do not hook up the other 2 wire if your using a 3 wire cord. I have my re-loaders all grounded this way.

#11 ·
I ran my ground wire to the phone copper ground wire. That ground wire is grounded to the power co ground. On their meters its reads a 0. They said that is what they want.

If you can't do that yourself then ground your loader to the center screw on your power outlet. I will say that the post above that said to ground your loader to the ground plug on the outlet is a good idea. Thats the round plug inlet.

#15 ·
FYI the screw that holds the outlet cover to the device is about as grounded as you can get.

Your light switch plate screws may be ok if your building is up to code.

Older buildings, you need to do some checking. I have one where a former owner cheated and put 3 wire devices on a two wire system just to get by the inspector.

HM

#16 ·
Most likely one is grounding their loader every time they touch the loader. The static on the plastic powder reservoir cannot be eliminated by grounding anyway. Plastic is not a conductor. . It doesn't cause any problems anyway. That is not effecting powder drops, the loader is metal, my PW is metal, I assume a MEC is also. Anyone have powder sticking to the metal parts on a loader?

slayer, I can assure you that putting a dryer sheet on the outside of your powder reservoir does absolutely nothing for any static on he inside the the reservoir. It is impossible.

I would advise not grounding a loader to the home electrical system. Why risk exposing yourself to a ground fault problem.

#18 ·
I know a couple of guys who use PW loaders who also use this stuff. I don't know the particulars of their loader setups (wood bench, metal bench, grounded, not grounded). <center>

</center> It contains dimeethyl Ditallow ammoniumchloride and it's supposed to make the surface of what it's sprayed on conductive so as to bleed off a static charge. Buy it at CVS and other fine stores. I tried it on the tube hopper on my PW loader once. It didn't hurt the plastic but I can't say if it did any good 'cause I don't have static problems. The MSDS information... oh, and I understand it sets off CO alarms.

Keller

#21 ·
No, they spray it on the outside of the hopper if there's powder in it or on the inside and wipe it afterwards if the hopper is empty. It's the hopper that holds the static, not the powder. But remember that these are PW hopper tubes they're using; they come off easy and are open at both ends.

Keller

#23 ·
Feel a dryer sheet between your fingers.They're basically synthetic cloth saturated with a lubricant that comes off on the clothes in the dryer when they get heated up. The lubricant keeps the cloth fibers from creating friction with each other and generating static. Unless the sheet gets hot enough to release the lubricant nothing happens; and unless the sheet gets tumbled with the clothes i8n the heat, the lubricant just stays on the fabric. Stick a dryer sheet in a powder hopper and it touches only the grains/flakes of powder that com into contact with it...it does nothing for all the rest.

Keller

#25 ·
There is no chance of a ground fault by grounding your reloader. The reason you ground the loader is to get rid of the static electric charge that may cause uneven powder drops. If you want to do it right I would recommend going down to the hardware store and getting yourself however many feet of #12 THHN stranded copper wire that it would require to get from your electrical panel to your loader. Hook the Wire onto the ground bar in your panel and hook the other end to the base of your loader. Problem solved for about $20 and its done right. Dont bother pounding a ground rod as your service in your house "should" have ground rods hooked to your ground bar(subpanel) or neutral bar in your main service. The idea of using the center screw of the outlet is fine if the outlet is grounded. If you live in a house over 40 years old chances are its not. Same can be said about the ground on the actual outlet, may or may not be grounded. Grounding to a waterline would be the next best way as long as they are metal, also will not harm anything. Every home service is to be grounded to the waterline to meet code. Im a master electrician so if you have any other questions just let me know.

Ryan

#26 ·
To deal with static,I ran a bare #14 stranded copper wire around the outside of my powder resivor and attached the other end to the center screw of a nearby recipticle. Granted this was when I shot a lot of Benchrest and the powder measures were Redding and Harrells. Once a sufficent amount of graphite builds up inside the measure static won't be a problem. I had little success with anti-static spray that you can buy at electronic stores or Radio Shack. If you try it use it on the outside of your powder resivor, not the inside. You don't want to contaminate the powder. I attached a couple of links if you want to see what Benchrest shooters say about it. When it comes to reloading no one is fanatical about it as Benchrest shooters.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/reloading-tip-eliminate-static-cling-in-powder-measures/

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?68490-Powder-Throwing-Secrets&highlight=grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.