1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GROUND HOGS & P DOGS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

South Dakota is about as good as it gets, Rosebud Indian Reservation, west river

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

south dakota. my wife and i shot 3000 plus shells in three days at dogs. we went twice in june. as for ground hogs. pa is the place for long range shooting.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Around Sundance Wyoming for PD's. My son and I went thru 5,000 rounds in 2 days.
    This was a few years ago.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I was heavy into Ducks Unlimited, and met the State chairman who put me on to the rancher. I would pull up Wyoming DNR, or Sundance, Wyoming on the net and call the their Chamber. They could get you some info. It's not a big town, and they really want them wiped out.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just go to the SD Indian reservation, no permit needed, Indians will welcome you killing them. Watch out for the rattlers

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen this site check it out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

CHEERS

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

GWII,

Great website. Great video.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

captin, South Dakota is jprobably your best bet. Wyoming puts another day on your trip unless you are the original Iron Man Driver.

I used to go to the Rosebud, and the shooting is still good, but Attitude carrying Indians, pricey licenses and the requirement to have a pricey guide (sometimes a useless drunk)have sent me away.

I would go to the Standing Rock or the Cheyenne River reservation, you will be treated much better and have a better experience.

The guide services will do good for you if you are not money conscious. Some of them want 200 dollars a day to show you the pests.

HM

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Lots of politics going on in SD regarding the PD. Feds won't poison, so the PD's are migrating onto private ground causing big problems, and lots of shooting areas.

Contact the Kadoka, SD Chamber of Commerce for more information on where to shoot them. Stay away from the Conata Grass Lands (near south entrance to the Badlands), as this is the site where the GF&P re-introduced the black-footed ferret. GF&P put these buggers on my PS shooting grounds, and they protect them like they were kings and queens.

I normally shoot them close to Rapid City around where Costner filmed "Dances with Wolves." I have, however, not gone for a year.

Happy Holidays.

Whiz White<BR>
    Rapi City

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Heard a good one.....a couple guys bought a noon time radio spot for a couple days:

"Responsible hunters looking for a place to shoot prairie dogs, write P.O. box #XXXX."

They got a couple bunny hugger hate letters and several good shooting spots for their 30 bucks.

Not a bad Idea.

HM

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

SD is the place,,,,Whiz hooked me up with some very nice people from Rapid,,,nice day of shooting<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i129.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/fry6969/STURGIS2007129.flv"></embed>

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Here in Pennsylvania, 'chucks hibernate from about mid-November until mid-to-late March. Farmers aren't fond of this but I like to wait to start hunting until June to give the year's pups a chance to be weaned from their mothers. Otherwise, you kill six or seven when you kill the mother. Gotta leave some seed for later in the season, you know...

I've NEVER been turned down by a farmer when I asked to hunt groundhogs and a couple of years of faithful and safe service on his 'hog population can lead to permission to hunt doves, small game and eventually deer. The biggest problem is the continuing encroachment of housing, making safe shots more and more difficult. Even the gun club to which my son and I belong has banned hunting with anything but a bow or muzzleloader because of the close proximity of homes to its 153 acres.

Ed

13. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

captin I went two years ago for the first time and it was a blast, at praire Poodles be prepared to shoot 300-500 rounds ( at least ) per day and bring along a few rifles, you can heat one up pretty fast in SD. I had a 17 HMR 204 Ruger and a 223 also a 26-06, although to Big for Dogs. My longest shoot to Date 480 Yds. with a 20 MPH cross wind, and the best time to go is from Mid May to the middle of June, it is traditionaly to hot in July and Augest, let me know when you want to go, I have reloaded all my empties and can go anytime.

14. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

you got to see video exploding varmints? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.