1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grip distance ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How can you shorten the distance betwee the trigger & the grip on a gun without getting a new stock?

Phil Berkowitz

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Have a gunsmith cut your trigger and move it back in the guard.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Unless your gun has an adjustable trigger, or can be fitted with such, this will be fairly difficult. What some have done is to use body putty or some such to build up the pistol grip where necessary to place the hand in a better position with regards to the trigger. May not be very esthetic, but will get the job done. Or perhaps a stock maker or the like could modify the pistol grip area by cutting out a section and inserting a new differently contoured pistol grip section. This is one area of stock fitting that seems to be fairly neglected in most discussions of stock fit by many (except for the pros of course) but it is, in my opinion, one of the more important parts of a good stock fit.

Jim R

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

somebody makes a stick-on grip shortner, rubber, in two sizes. Try Shotgun Sports Magazine or Southwest shooters supply.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a gunsmith cut the trigger blade and attach it 3/16 inch further back like RickN. The Etchen style grip would Not have solved the problem for me.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I shoot a release trigger. The grip distance on my old gun was 31/4". My current grip distance is 311/16". Some times I short shoot targets as I'm moving the gun. The trigger is very fast. Could the additional length have an effect on trigger control.

Phil Berkowitz

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Two choices that do not involve a new stock:

1. Adjustable trigger will allow you to move trigger shoe to preferred position.

2. Build up grip section using bondo or a product like miracle putty.

If you have a palm swell be careful of option #2 - you might have to move the palm swell forward too if the change in grip length is significant.

I used a combination of both options to accomplish the perfect fit on my son's gun prior to having a new custom stock made and the grip area was given a lot of attention during fitting - result was an exact match.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If you can't reach the trigger wood will need to be removed from the rear of the grip. Changing the front of the grip will not get your finger closer to the trigger.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A release trigger that is too fast will certainly lead to short shooting the target.

10. wlc

wlc Member

How do you measure grip distance?

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Measurement is from the bottom forward edge of the grip to the center
    of the trigger.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shortening grip distance on shotgun stock