1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRINDING PADS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by emm2, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emm2

emm2 Member

I am wanting a sander to fit butt pads. I was wanting to know what type works the best. Pics would be very helpful. What grit do you start with and end with. Thanks Shane

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought a small bench top belt sander from Sears. I have found 120 is good for quick take down, Practice and patience will find what works best.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the Kick-eez web site where they talk about grinding pads. Bill Malcolm

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

several jigs....

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I use hanging jigs with 2 seperate sanders (to save time). The first is a Craftsman 10" x 6" disc-belt unit...on that one I will get it down close to where I have the line scribed. The second is a 8"x 1" disc-belt sander and I have the finer paper on that one to finish. After the 8"x 1", I will hand sand with 400 grit, then with steel wool for final.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_1015.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_1016.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tron

6. emm2

emm2 Member

Thanks for all your help. Tron that is quite a set up. Shane

7. alfadawg

alfadawg TS Member

What flavor beer is used for lubrication, right hand corner of picture?
    Mike

8. Tron

Well Mr. Smartass, that's Michelob Ultra. I have a little fridge in my workshop....after I'm done with a project, I may have a couple. Sometimes Amstel Light.

Tron

9. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

I think Tron is a Labatt,s Blue man lol.

10. Tron

Labatt is good beer....I light Blue Light better though. Molson Light better yet, but it's hard to find.

Tron

11. JLW

JLW TS Member

Tron-is that a homemade jig on the disk sander? I haven't seen one like that but I like the concept as different pads have different hole spacing.-Jerald

12. Tron

The hanging jig itself is from Brownell's. The fixture that it's hanging from is just something that I welded together in haste. It consists of 1" square tubing in which I welded a piece on top that I tapped threads into so that a bolt can pinch the rod that the jig hangs from. The rod is just a 4' piece of 5/16" stock that I bent at the end and welded loop so the jig can attach. The rod can swing back and forth and up and down, so that the correct toe and heal angle can be done easier.

Tron

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tron- I see something critical missing from your pad grinding area. Where is all of the black dust that covers everything after a pad is ground?

Pat Ireland

14. Tron

Pat, you're NOT kidding there. It's a very messy occupation. The worst by far was when I had to take 5/16" off of CLS's Jack West stock. It turned my grinder into what looked like a black cotton candy machine. That crap was everywhere.

Tron

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a Brownell's jig. Use a table mounted circular sander or belt sander placed on edge. Put one layer of masking tape around the stock. Grind until you scuff the tape. Finish with fine cut file and sandpaper, leving the tape on until your finished.

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Damn it Tron. I HATE guys who have shops that look so neat. I swear my project every time I go into my shop is just to clean it up. It never gets completed. Another question I have is just how much do you have invested in all those Kick Eez pads. Impressive collection. Jake

17. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Tron,
    Somethings just wrong with a man that keeps his shop that clean.LOL Happy New Year. Todd

18. JLW

JLW TS Member

What I noticed was the "loose ends" where the jig attacheds to the pad.

The one I bought has an aluminum slotted plate the pad mounts to so if you have varying distance between pad holes, you have to drill/tap a new one. Also, Gracoil's are harder to attach to mine. Last night I milled up some new pieces to,"Jerry rig", as my wife says!-Jerald

19. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Nice set up Tron!!! I'll definately send mine to you next time I need one. I did mine freehand with disc sander clamped in a vice. LOTS of patience and a few beers in between to steady my nerves. Not for the faint of heart when you start getting close 'cause if you slip you gotta start all over again.

Steve

20. Tron

Not for the faint of heart??? Try cutting a comb on someone's K or P gun. You got ONE shot at it! My legs shake like a leaf every time.....the cut is absolutely nerve racking but once it's made, it's all down hill from there.

You showed me the one you did and it looked like it came out great! Looking forward to your return to Michigan.

OH, and a VERY happy New Year to Todd, the country gentleman!

Tron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.