1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grinder /Sander for Recoil Pads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Blakester, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

I am wanting a Grinder / Sander for fitting recoil pads what kind do I need ?

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

And what grit size do you use?

I would guess pretty coarse like 60?

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I have a Delta/Rockwell combination belt...4"x36" and disc...12", sander.

I like this particulat make because the plate behind the belt is made of cast steel and is adjustable. The cast plate is also absolutely flat, which makes it great for sanding the end of the buttstock.

I'm not sure if they are being made anymore, beacause at the time I purchased mine new, it was around $1500.

The ones I see in most every tool catalog now are running about $600 and I believe the backplate is heavy sheet metal...which probably would be fine for gringing padsn but not for the stock.

I use 100 grit.

Doug

4. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

It would be nice to have a good one like above. But, if you don't want to spend that kind of money don't be discouraged. You can find 4X36 upright belt sanders for around $100 to $200 that will work pretty well. Just make sure the platform that you rest your work on seems solid. I use 80 grit for rough shapping and take the last little bit off with 220. Then a little hand finishing with 220 wet or dry paper moistened with WD40. I like the B-Square jig from Brownells but others like the swing type as mentioned in above post.

5. turmite

turmite Member

The grit of paper you use should be determined by the durometer of the rubber use and speed of the belt or disc.

I did a Limbsaver last early this year...my first of that brand, and even 120 was too rough for the roughing.

Could I ask if you guys that do this a lot freeze the real soft pads?

Mike

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Freezing works. Gooey pads load up the abrasive media too soon otherwise.

HM

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought a Sears, If you are like me. Only tinkering doing your own pads and for other shooters, especially kids. Then this will work ok. With out breaking the bank. Allthough I find the 6" disc a wee small. Surprise is the it is a stable unit. I also do not have a lot of room. So A larger heavier unit would a pain. Also Look around at yardsales, KEY thing for yard sales. Ask what else they have. I recently hit a yardsale. Guy had a stack of rifle and pistol magazines. I asked wheres the good stuff? I ended up with some great deals on cases,chokes,parts and 2 decent savage shotguns for short money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.