1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grilling Steaks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shot410ga, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I love Med-rare Rib-eyes from the grill. And I've used a number of different seasoning on them. My favorite is very basic: salt-pepper-garlic powder. but I would like to try something new. Some of the suggestion I've seen here are great for other meats (I've tried some). Can any of you steak lovers share your favorite seasonings?

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I use Dale's Seasoning, Garlic Salt, and Black Pepper.

Matt

3. hunter870

hunter870 Member

We like the McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. Use it on everything from steaks to burgers to venison.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

second for McCormick. I believe they also call it grill creations. rub a little olive oil on the meat, a little kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and then some grill creations. great.

5. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

It's store bought, but Emril's Steak Rub is actually really good. On burgers, it can't be beat either.
    -Trappy

6. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I realize you cannot procure this immediately, but for future grilling : Go to www.penzeys.com and order some of their Chicago Steak Seasoning.

I LOVE a good steak. I can only go so long without one - in fact. *smiles* If you like steak ; like I like steak - you just gotta' try Penzeys.

Since you'll have to order their seasonings, I'll also cast a vote for McCormicks Grill Mates Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning. Any decently-sized supermarket should carry it in their spices section.

Grill away, mate...........

7. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

use tour favorite sauce and always rub a little olive oil on it.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My favorite is Tone's Montreal Steak Seasoning with the steak cooked indirectly over a charcoal fire. I use plenty of hickory chips. I also mix a little water into the dry seasoning mix to rehydrate the spices and dissolve the salt. After the rehydrated seasonings have set for 5 minutes, I add olive oil (EVOO) and stir.

I like to use thick steaks well scored on each side. Let the steaks marinate in the seasoning mix for at least 30 minutes and then grill.

A second favorite sauce is to melt a stick of butter over low heat and then add about 1/4 a bottle of Colgin brand liquid hickory smoke. Again, let the meat marinate in it for about 30 minutes (the butter will solidify) and then grill over an indirect charcoal fire stoked with plenty of hickory chips.

I use a Weber Performer charcoal grill.

Ed Ward

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

yes sir...ribeyes with McCormicks...Ok but now tell us how rare you like them!...for me bathe it shave it ..wipe its butt and scorch it with a gag in its mouth so I don't have to listen to it scream

10. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

1 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 small onion chopped, 2oz Seasame oil, salt and pepper, Marinate for 30 minutes. Kim :)

11. Bob M

Bob M Member

Montreal Steak seasoning is a staple at our house. Steaks, burgers, pork chops, mac-n-cheese, fried potatoes, everything!!!

It would probably make a car bumper taste good.

Killer on a good steak with a little EVOO as a marinade.

As to doneness, I'll agree with Calvin. Hiss, Hiss, off!

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like them like Calvin does, just grill marks on both sides and cold in the middle. No seasoning, just salt and pepper & garlic

13. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Try a little worestechire sauce a few minutes before u season it makes the steak even better. I like plain salt and pepper but Montreal seasoning is easy and it is great.
    Jimmy

14. lju

lju Member

For a little different favor, brush olive oil all over both sides, then a generous sprinkling of Tony Chachere's. Let it soak in a bit then grill with apple chips in the fire. Be sure you soak the chips in water ahead of time so they smoke real good while burning.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When all else fails......rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder...and...parmeasan cheese...yup plain old spaghetti cheese, let sit for an hour before grilling!

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

For me build up a good mesquite fire, Then shoot up a bunch of doves (on opening day), with some of the guy's that used to take me dove hunting, back when I a snot nosed kid, now the kid (s) are looking after them!, by that time the fire is ready , season the meat with salt garlic and black pepper and throw it on the grill and OOPs this year it was chicken, steak was last year.

With a little good fortune, both of the old guy's will be out there next year!

The only thing we do diferrent with chicken is cook it longer and when we turn it baste it with the liquid out of a can of canned jalepenos,mmmmmmmmm good!

AL

17. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

All the above sound good, just make sure your steaks are room temperature before you grill. Cold steak from the refridgerator is hard to cook correctly. Marinate your steaks in the refer but bring them out long enough to warm to room temp, you'll be amazed at how much better they cook and taste.

Tome's or McCormick work for me...some of the others sound interesting and will have to give them a try.

Bob

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Sea Salt and fresh Ground Pepper. All you need. Break-em all. Jeff

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I like them marinated for a couple of days in the Dale's Seaoning liquid or really anything else close but I guarentee if you don't want to use a knife to cut the meat with then that is the way to go but the main thing is to tenderize them first and im particular about the tenderizing salt I have tried some of the cheap brands before but Adolph's is the best I have used and it last a long time.

Ok here is a photo of a dog that wouldn't eat a steak before it was tenderized.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/?action=view¤t=hambone.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ok here are a few that I think enjoyed the grilling & Chilling a few years ago.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/Family/friends/?action=view¤t=Picture003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ok here was the beginning of the grilling.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/food/?action=view¤t=Picture005.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Sorry didn't have any after photo's because they was gone before I could snap them.

but here is one of another time and as always never needed a knife to cut them.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/food/?action=view¤t=IMG_2976.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Also the best Steak Sauce I have ever used is Country Bob's I never liked the tase of A1 or Wichersitior or how ever you spell it.

I always used Ketchup if I wanted a sauce on them in the past but Country Bob's is the best in my opinion im sure it isn't on the shelves every where but if any wants to try it I will buy it from my area and send.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/food/?action=view¤t=countrybobs.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

http://www.countrybobs.com/

You can also try a free bottle at the website link I posted on top of the post.
    Foggy

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My favorite steak sauce is just plain old Heinz 57...A1 is too vinegarry for my taste, and too strong that you don't know what kind of meat you are gnawing on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.