Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

grey winchester AA hulls for reloading ????

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pheasantmaster 
G
#1 ·
Question regarding current winchester hulls for reloading. Im getting back into trap and want to reload again to save some $.

One of the previous threads I posted to get advise on reloading - mentioned some are now recommending the remington STS hulls. Another dumb question- I shot winchester store bought target AA shells yesterday- they were in a gray AA hull. 15 years ago - last time I really shot trap- I never saw these. Are they the same as the "old" winchester red AA hulls that was the reloading gold standard years ago??? Are they a good reloading hull??? If not I may need to switch my thinking over to the STS hulls now before I start buying wads.

Thanks Bob

#2 ·
'The wads would be the same for Rem. or Winch. hulls. The new AA hulls are different than several years ago in that they are two piece construction with the base wad being a separate piece of the hull. Some folks have had concerns with the two piece construction of these hulls, even having the base wad migrate into the barrel of the gun when fired. Thus, the STS, Nitro 27, and Gun Club hulls from Remington are the most popular at the moment and are still one piece, tapered hulls. Any of the wads for tapered hulls are good to go with both AA and Rem. hulls......Bob Dodd

#3 ·
I have had several separations of the base wad and instances where in migrated both up and left the gun entirely. Since I shot the living heck out of my shells, I can assume responsibility. However, I would urge caution. Probably limit myself to 5 reloads period. Basically, what appears to be happening is that the hulls expands, allowing the base wad to migrate up a little. When you reload, some powder gets under the base wad, and bingo - you've turned it into a part of the shot.

I am reloading Win AA Red's, but at the first sign of perforations at the top I discard them (they are base wad also). I Prefer the Rem STS.

#4 ·
Wolfman, what press are you using??

Bob, the greys are either than Handicap loading or a Sporting load which both are not necessary for shooting trap with no benefit gained from extra recoil. They are in old terms a 3.25 dram for the handicap and 3.75 dram for sporting load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.