1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grey shooting lens

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosecall, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I was watching some sporting clays shooters using my regular prescription lenses, and clip on gray polarized lenses made by Solar Optics http://diopticssunwear.com/index.html I could see the black rim, and the color of the bird was more reddish. I could see the definition of the bird better. Some shooting colors make the bird a pale color, Post 4 desert glow, and most glow colors. I see the bird best with lite target orange, and cloud cover. I have a harder time seeing the bird especially late in the evening traps facing north. But when there is cloud cover I see the bird best late in the evening. There must be light, contrast issue, it might be the lens color. Any suggestions? 10tenner

2. 1ozreloader

1ozreloader TS Member

Color perception varies from person to person. All you or anyone can do is try diffeent lenses under different conditions to see what works best.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

"Polarized" is the key, I think.

Shooting lenses aren't.

MK

4. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

You don't see many grey lenses as most of the vendors will tell you they are only good for sunglasses not shooting. They don't bring out the color on anything. They are great for shooting into the sun.

5. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

When Post 4 came out with there first glow lenses, a article was on there web site stating that the glow colors made the target red in color. They do the opposite for me, the target becomes pale. I have looked through some lenses, V-Lite that make the bird to bright in bright sunny light conditions. The bird becomes fuzzy from to much light being refracted. To restate, 7 pm on a sunny July day, trap facing north, using light target orange the bird is bright, but so is the background, and I cannot see the definition of the bird well. Same condition's, but cloud cover, and the back ground is darker, and the bird is darker in orange, I can see the bird definition more clearly. I have read were most shooting lenses makers put some red, excluding yellow, gold, in the lens to enhance the target. maybe I do not need the additional red, and that is were the gray made the bird a darker orange, or it could be the contrast. My shooting backgrounds are mostly hill side, light tan, and blue sky. 10tenner

6. maka

maka Member

I just got new eye glasses. I explained to eye Doc. that I shoot orange clays and indicated I wanted to try transition lenses. Transitions come in grey or brown tints. Doc told me to go with brown tint which will bring out target colors. They are also poloarized. So far observing other shooters in bright sun and close to dusk they work great. Cannot wait to shoot with them. Just my experience. Good luck to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gray shooting lenses

grey shooting lenses