1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GREENDOT FOR 2O GAUGE QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

A friend of mine just bought a stevns gold wing in 20 gauge.He is very dissapointed in the way it shoots. Being a very good skeet shooter he could not hit a traget to save his life. He showed me the patterns that he shot and they were terrible, with the cylinder bore choke the spread was like 50 inches at 20 yeard and all over with all sorts of holes in the pattern.

I asked what his reloads were, and he told me he used green dot 16.5 grains in a remington case. I told him that I was told you could not use the new green dot for 20 gauge, he said he got the recipe from a lymans book.

I looked at the allient book and could only find recipes for aa cases with like 13 grains of powder.

my question is could it be the powder thats throwing the pattern to all hell along with the extra pressure thAt it is creating.

i told him to try unique with a versalite wad and pattern it.

any help would be great...could it just be the gun....could a duster ornge wad wich give a lot less pressure help the pattern.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What was the weight of the shot?? If its 1 ounce, Greed Dot is too fast of a powder. 16.5 grains is most likely blowing his patterns apart. Not to mention way to high in pressures. Wayne

3. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

7/8 ounce..way to fast I told him but I didn't want to sound like a know it all so I thought I would check on the trap forum.

I use green dot for 12 traps and love it, but i told him there are better powders for 20 gauge.

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

If you are talking about a standard 7/8 oz load, 16.5 grs of Green Dot is probably halfway to a proof load.

Alliant has changed its recommended loads over the last decade as pressure measurements became more accurate. In the case of Green Dot, I believe it happened in two or three steps. Nowadays they do not consider it a (safe) 20 ga. powder. I think the only listings are for 3/4 oz or squib 7/8 loads. Check Alliant's website, not Lyman.

As a precautionary note, if you have any recipe that is more than ten years old, you need to update it. Most all of the powder manufacturers have made changes in recent years, some small and some not so small.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Wm rike is right about keeping updated data. Chis Hodgdon told me that powders don't change that much because of the SAMMI standards they have to follow, but components like the wads and hulls can change all the time. Wayne

6. notarget

notarget TS Member

Alliant lists 3/4 ounce loads with green dot for remington and winchester hulls in their current manual. The only 7/8 ounce loads listed are for federal hulls. The 3/4 ounce loads work quite well but the published recipe should be carefully followed.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The Lyman book costs money. The Alliant book is free. The free book gives better advice. If you can't find a book, go to the website for the same information. Unique is a better Alliant powder for the 20 gauge. When you run out of Green Dot, buy Unique and use the Alliant recipes.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There are better powders for 20 gauge, such as Universal Clays.

9. mag410

mag410 Active Member

When Green Dot was made by Hercules there were many 20 gauge Green Dot loads. I shot many thousands of these loads until the folks at Briley started "recommending" not to use Green Dot in their Skeet tubes. The chambers on the 20 gauge tubes are very thin, one of the guys at Briley told me almost all of the split chambers they repaired were from Green Dot reloads. I have been told that Alliant removed these loads at the behest of Briley and Kolar.

16.5 grains is much more powder than the old 7/8 ounce load, which apparently generated more pressure than Hercules thought it did. I agree with wm rike, 16.5 grains is well on the way to a proof load.

Michael Goines

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I shoot skeet and use Green Dot with 7/8 oz of shot a Win AA20 wad and 14 grains of powder. I load it in a Rem Premier or Win AA hull. It works fine. I would suggest that your friend switch to a choke with a little more constriction like a skeet 1 or skeet 2 choke. HMB

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

crazy!

Loads for a straight wall case do not apply to taped cases like AA or Rem

Remind me not to be anywhere near this "person"

I don't need any bad press splatter on me

Seriously, very unsafe.

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Use Unique or Herco for 7/8 oz 20 ga. There are also a bunch of other mfg powders that will work just fine. Always consult the powder mfg manual when working up a load. I don't even bother with the aftermkt ones like Lyman. The patterns are most probably blown apart by the high pressure. Also the manuals that are 20-30 yrs old are safe to use with the recommended hull in the manual. The mfg cannot do really wild changes in manuals & powders because there are so many older containers of powders out there that are perfectly good. What will change is the volume of powder. You may end up going up/down several bushing #'s to get the same grain wt.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would start with assembling a "proper" load with up dated data and components. Green Dot would not be my choice for a 20 ga target load. The second thing I would do is to look at the choke and look for options there.

14. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

THANKS for all the help, I had my friend buy some unique powder and some downrange orange wads. also I had him get the allience reloading booklet that comes free with the powder. he did some loadas last night with proper amount of powder and wad. I hope this works , we will know tonight when we get together and pattern the load and do a little shooting.

15. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

it worked great...he shot several 23's and 24 's. he's a happy man now, thank god what would I have told him if that didn't work.
    's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green dot powder 20 gauge loads

green gauge questions ottman 1998