1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Greendot and versalite wads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hello everyone, does anyone have a recipe using greendot, versalite wads, winchester or cheddite primers, and remington hulls?

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Yes!

AndyH ;-)

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

tuscarora 99.... I am loading STS hulls, Cheddite primers, 22gr. Green Dot, Red Versalite wad from Downrange, and 11/8oz. 71/2's. Great 27 yard handicap load.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Doesen't work for me. Use a figure Rem 8 wad.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Dan.. did you clear that with Kevin at Downrange..??? seems a little "Hot"..

6. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Old AA hulls, Cheddite primers, 21 gr. Green Dot and a Downrange Versalite wad.

Tim

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Either old AA's or Remington.. 21 grains.. 9900 psi.. Nice easy range

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike..... Chronos at 1240FPS +/- out of the old DB-81 barrel. The fact that the barrel has had extensive Wilkinson work done to it seems to have tamed it pretty well. I took the receipe from an older Lyman book I had that showed the original Versalite wads in it. I didn't check with Kevin, but, I'm confident that, according to the book, the pressures are well within limits. I tried the load with 21gr. and it just didn't "feel" right. I'm so used to "speed kills" loads that I can really notice the difference between the 2 loads. Strange thing here is that the faster load patterns better as well. You would think just the opposite, but, it is what it is. I'm just starting to experiment with the Versalites, as I'm pretty used to the original Windjammer wad. In fact, I just got some more Windjammers, and I plan on going back to them as I have confidence in them from past experiences. I'll just keep playing with the Versalites as time permits... Dan

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Dan..I would not begin to try to explain why my patterns seem to improve with speed.. but I'm glad you understand.. and I agree.. the only reference I found with 22 grains listed 10,800psi with the Versalite wad and CCI primers.. Still safe..but just a wee bit hot for my taste..

I would ask a friend to try 24.5 grains of Unique.. same wad.. same hull..same primer.. It will give "speed kills" a new meaning while being quite soft on the shoulder.. Not the cleanest shell in the world.. but certainly a shooter friendly one.. Tested from the parking lot..27 is for the neubies..LOL.. I think you'll like it.. Not to be a smart ass.. But the Green Dot load itself..IF everything stays the same.. is well within safe limits.. But Kevin has shown me more than once.. the HUGE range of primer differences..sometimes upwards of 1000 psi..

I have tested shells.. ALL once fired.. all powder weighed to within 1/20th of a grain.. wads weighed.. shot weighed..crimp checked for depth..SO.. my only variable was the primer.. While FPS stayed pretty consistent.. PSI varied greatly.. Hence..I now live in the 8000/9000 psi range.. and completely advoid 10,000 psi or higher.. As always.. All Good.. Mike

10. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I was also wondering how do people like the downrange xl with greendot and rem or AA hulls and cheddite or winchester hull? What is your recipe?

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I load around 20.0 grains with the Winchester primer using either the Versalite Red or the Figure 8. That seems to keep the pressures low enough while giving a velocity of over 1200 fps.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You have the best Powder & Wad combination on the market for Hdps I use it in Remington STS & Nitro-27 hulls 20.5 to 22 grs Green Dot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike..... Check your PM.... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best hulls for versalite wads

versalite wads

winchester primer and green dot recipe