1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green walnut stock blank

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682b, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682b

682b Member

I have taken a gamble and purchased a stock blank that is freshly milled. The ends are waxed but I don't know how or where to air dry it. I would like to put it on stickers and let it sit in my office for several years turning it regularly. In the back of my mind I am scared of it improperly drying and spliting. Any advise would be appreciated Jim

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/user/jted1952/media/walnut2_zps93053f69.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/user/jted1952/media/walnut_zpsbd8cf386.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Straight50

Straight50 Member

I don't know how to properly dry stock wood, but I can tell you that sure is a nice looking piece of wood! Somebody will be along shortly with this knowledge, I am sure.

3. Guy

Guy Member

Other than kiln drying, it's more a matter of where you live. A blank can air dry in Las Vegas in about 18 mo......moisture content needs to be around 8-10%......so if the humidity where you live rarely goes below 20%, well, go figure. With waxed ends, and they are waxed to slow the escape of moisture and reduce the chance of cracks, I'd say keep it in your office for a year or two, then put it in the attic for awhile.....or send it to a friend in Las Vegas.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Put it in the attic-- that is about the perfect place to dry wood- give it a couple of years and check the moisture level then

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. 682b

682b Member

I live in central Virginia, It gets very humid and hot. Not as humid as locations to the south but just as hot. What will that(humidity) do to the drying process besides extend it? Jim

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Double bag it in the old style paper shopping grocery bags and seal it with tape. Then either put it in your attic or if you have a water heater in a closet or closed in area in your house put it close to that. Heat is your friend but not extreme heat. It should dry in less than 18 months in the paper bags.

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I dont know for sure,but if your running a goldenrod in your safe,maybe thats a place??
    Ive put refinished wood [truoil] in there during the humid months,and it`ll cure by the next day.

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

How do you know what the moisture content of a piece of wood is?

9. 682b

682b Member

ysr_racer, I have used a cheep digital moisture meter in the past. It has worked good but I always have my doubts. I always doubt my digital mail scale It must just be me. The only one I don't have doubts about is a single beam powder scale measuring grams.Jim

10. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim

Ideal case is to sticker them( on long skinny side) on thin strips of wood or plastic so you can have air movement all around them. No overly hot or cold attics or damp basements. Every few months flip them over onto opposite long skinny side.

Good luck

Doug

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Lots of dispute on drying times. I have been told to wait 3 yrs. Thickness makes a difference. I am working a blank now that I let set in a humidity controlled basement for 5yrs. Supposed to keep it out of the sunlight also.

Besides time to dry it also needs a year to stabilize.

Do a search, lots of info.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd put a paper sacked anything real close to my water heater. Of course I have a gas water heater and like my house not charcoaled.

Just Say'n.......

13. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Check this out. BYG

http://doublegunshop.com/phiatt4.htm

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Mike Mann knows this answer, send him a PM. He is MR M

15. 682b

682b Member

Any one else.

Thread Status: