1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green vs orange ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A recent post argued over what the correct color is for a specific background. Also why some clubs throw one or the other with seemingly no regard for the background. What I am getting at is. I prefer the green targets at our club with a very close backdrop of pines and oaks. Even at night they are better. The orange seems more like a dark red at night and on dark days, also the orange is very hard to pick up against the turning leaves when the sun is at such low angles this time of year. Problem is our club only throws Biodegradable targets, At this point no known green bios? We do get a handful of green cases here and there from our supplier "filling in" our order. I have emailed whiteflyer with no response. Our supply guy at the club says hes been asking about other color bios for sometime then just gave up.

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Thats a good point, but,what the hell...just shoot 'em!

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Go with the non Bios, the Bios will KILL all the grass/weeds/brush that they come in contact with anyway.....

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

ANYONE who thinks green targets are good to shoot 0n ANY type of green background is plain FULL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will bet the house, that if you take 100 shooters on both type of targets [green/orange]75% or more will put in a worse long term average on those green targets on green backgrounds. Ask yourself one question..........WHY were the green targets made.......Nuff said!!!!!!

GS

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Bios only kill the grass if you do not maintain your field. Its not the bios killing the grass its the build up of layer after layer of wads and target chunks. We lime 2 times a year and throw down seed every couple years. Also will remove heavy build up areas. Try telling the guy who mows our field the bios are killing it. Our club is "bio only".

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The bios turn into sulphuric acid when they get wet. Putting down lime twice a year helps neutralize this.

Many shooters are color blind to red and green, this will determine which color target you see best. HMB

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like green targets very much against darker backgrounds and when the light is less than ideal. GS thinks I an nuts, and others will agree with him but our state highway department does not. All road cones and safety vests have been replaced with green.

Pat Ireland

8. K-Gun

K-Gun TS Member

They mixed some in the practice trap for us to try. Most likes the green, I saw the Orange as smaller. We do have a close and dark background so green does look good anyway.

I think the different colors being perceived differently by different people is the biggest thing.

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I thought you were talking about the Irish. I happen to be a Orange Irishman. Ben

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have shot both colors, the club that has/had green, has desert scrub hill as a back ground, the green really stands out against it, the grape vine says they are going to orange so maybe after Christmass I will find out, and if they have, and be able to rate the change. My first 25 in registered trap was at this club.

Most of the targets I have shot reg have been all orange, with a few black rims thrown in.

I hear that a couple of clubs throw all black when they can get them, put they had all orange when I shot. Against the blue Sky all black does not sound bad.

Al

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

State highways went to green outfits because studies have proven green is the most visible color under most conditions. Getting it through shooters heads that a big dollar study financed by our tax dollars proves that green has it's place on the trapline is another matter.

We went through the same situation when the orange target was introduced as many shooters said the black rimmed white target was easier to see!!

12. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I love green targets - shot some super scores with them.

Tom

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Black rimmed targets and all black targets are best when shooting blizzard trap. HMB

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Big AZ AL is the only one who got this right, as what backround this target was made for. Desert Scrub........PERIOD. What EVERYONE fails to tell you about green targets on a green backround is: When your target vision should be the best.....Sun from behind, sunny day. The Green on Green gives you the Worst ability to focus on this target. Here is a good one to ponder......."Just because a target is easy to see does not mean it will be easy to shoot". Anyone want to take a shot and explain my last statement????

GS

15. willing

willing Member

Green targets against a dark green bacground seem easy to see. Green against a brown or black,tree trunks, are hard to see, They also show up well under lights at a skeet field.

Bill

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Close your eyes and the target visibility is the greatest. What you can't see is easier to hit.

That one goes against any accepted theory in the Trapshooting book of knowledge!!

17. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Give me the ol orange during the day and white at night.

Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

18. spritc

spritc Active Member

Green targets are great for money birds, but not much else!

Steve

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Several years ago, a lot of local shooters were complaining about the area clubs that switched to green targets during the winter, so we tried a little experiment during a winter league shoot - one trap was loaded with orange targets and the other with green. The scores on the green trap - at the same club and against the same background - were higher.

3M confirms what others have said about highway workers now wearing green - tests have proven that florescent yellow-green (the official name of the color we're talking about) is more visible than florescent orange. Those of you who live near a military base have no doubt noticed that their fire trucks and other emergency vehicles are now painted that color instead of red or whatever they used to be.

For those of you who refuse to accept that green is easier to see (barring any vision problems, of course), have your club load a trap with alternating columns of green and orange targets and shoot them back-to-back. That has never failed to convert a few shooters when I've done it.

So you ask, why are orange targets more popular? Well, remember when we went from yellow and white targets to orange and everyone hated them? As a breed, trapshooters just don't like change!

No one color is perfect for all settings but green's not as bad as most would have you think.

Ed

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

AverageEd another reason maybe. Our club will only throw bios. No green bios yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.