1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

green targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lumpys600, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumpys600

lumpys600 Member

Please let me hear from all the clubs out there that throw green targets.And not just for trap but for skeet, sporting clays and 5-stand.

2. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

I shot some green birds on the Abilene Clay Sports clays course in Abilene, Tx this afternoon. Cool, stands out in wooded background(on a low diagonal crosser)like nothing I have ever seen. Didn't have an in upper clear air stations, but my guess they would be great.
    Jim Poor

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Maybe OK on some backgrounds.

We tried some and contrary to what I expected, they were very tough to see when we had snow on the ground.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We are mixing them with our normal Orange & Black birds for a bacon prize. Several people told me they prefer them because they see them better

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Years ago, the orange vs. green debate was raging around here and a club threw green from one trap and orange from another for a 50-target winter league shoot. There was snow on the ground and the background was brown woods.

You could see the orange targets across the snow but they became hard to see against the trees. The green targets were all but invisible against the snow but stood out nicely against the trees.

Bottom line - over almost 100 shooters, the scores on the 25 green targets were higher than those on the 25 orange targets.

Ed

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Great against a brown or desert background. I loved them at the old Las Vegas GC. Steve used green dome and they were perfect there.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

OK in the day time if sun's not too bright; miserable at night under lights: big blurry 5 leaf clovers...hard to focus on.

MK

8. philk

philk Member

Impossible to see against snow. Love them at night,especially for night doubles but would prefer white. Still think targets should be full orange for daytime and white at night.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Green targets are also very good against green trees. Sounds strange, but it is true. I have never seen a target that stands out well against snow. There is just too much glare associated with snow. I shot against a snow background once about 10 years ago and hope I never make that mistake again.

Pat Ireland

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I shot black targets over snow at a club in New York State some years ago. Easy to see against both snow and sky but they looked smaller than they actually were.

MK

11. AveragEd

Pat, I once shot a league shoot at white targets against the snow-covered side of a hill while snow was falling. To make matters worse, the machines were centered in the trap houses, making the fields offset to the right. Twasn't fun...

Ed

12. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Terre Haute Sport Shooting Complex, Terre Haute, Indiana threw green targets this past winter against a treeline background. Most of the trapshooters seemed to really like them. THSSC is back to all orange at the moment and it's unknown if they will be throwing green again for the spring or summer.

13. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I was at the new Clark County ranges in Las Vegas three weeks ago. They were shooting orange dome targets against a background of sand and broken targets. They were very difficult to see. They have a warehouse full of them but are supposedly trying to get some green targets to try.

They had the first trap fixed at "straight-aways" for beginners. This made for a solid orange and black background from all the broken targets in a concentrated area. Give them high marks for a least trying to help recruit new trap shooters. This was the most active of the eight shotgun ranges that were open. The parking lot was full next to the pistol and rifle ranges. It was a Sunday afternoon. Ron

14. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

We shoot green targets for games and calcuttas, and almost all shooters wish we would shoot them all the time.We have a woods background on a upsloping hill and they show up great.under the lights they show up like they are glowing,and it is easy to see the smallest chip.I love them.

hook

15. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Green/Green backround Huh???? It is a crime and a shame that some people run their clubs with so little knowlegde. PLEASE let me know what lens color to use to CONTRAST that GREEN target form the GREEN backround. The same morons that force people into shooting these types of targets are the same people who have their first pair of bright yellow shooting glasses from the 60's.

GS

16. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

At our club we let the majotity decide,and as for the name calling well that is just a shame.

hook

17. AveragEd

You'll find that several lens tints that work well on orange targets work equally well on green ones. Medium brown/bronze, Zeiss Red and Gold-15 are three I use on both, depending upon the lighting and background.

As far as "green on green" being a poor choice, the fluorescence in florescent yellow-green, 3M's actual name for that color, makes it appear much different that the green of trees, something that can be easily seen in the above photos.

I know, "change" is a dirty word to many trapshooters. Remember the turmoil when today's beloved orange targets were replacing yellow?

Ed

18. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I am also color-deprived. Maybe we could file a class action lawsuite under the Americans with Disabilities Act(SP). Seriously, I would be willing to guess the target color decision by management has something to do with what the most people will pay to shoot. Regardless of the color, if there isn't a lot of contrast, I won't be able to see them. That is my problem and I have to deal with it as best I can. Hint: Clear sky, pink Tutu. LOL Ron

19. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

"You'll find that several lens tints that work well on orange targets work equally well on green ones. Medium brown/bronze, Zeiss Red and Gold-15 are three I use on both, depending upon the lighting and background."

WRONG>>>> ANY lens color that enhances GREEN will also enhance the GREEN background. ALSO how convenient that the picture posted with the green target in the air was one on a cloudy day. Post one on a sunny day once from the same distance......let me know how that looks to ya........

GS

PS One HUGE final point the easiest target to see might not be the easiest to shoot............and maybe that is why most of you are under AA

20. AveragEd

GS, your last remark makes absolutely no sense. This AAA/AA shooter has always found that seeing the target well is the first step toward breaking it. The large canines of the sport seem to agree with that, too.

And before you jump to label another's post as erroneous, perhaps you should actually try the lens colors listed on the target color listed. You obviously haven't, as evidenced by your remark. Remember, the targets are NOT green - they are florescent yellow-green and the difference is significant.

By any chance, would you happen to be one of those green target haters?

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green background shooting targets