1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Remington (?) Post Wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

the green wads I have are 1oz?

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The ones I have an 1 1/8 oz. They were for the old All American cases.

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Ah yes,........... now that brings back some fond memories.

The Remington Post Wad was a spreader wad and if memory is correct, it was THE first spreader wad on the market. It was supposed to help spread the shot and give a wider pattern. In effect giving a Modified choke size pattern out of a full choke gun. Or even larger pattern out of a cylinder choke skeet gun.

My experience with the Post Wad, they seemed to work super for me. I broke some of my best scores as a Sub Junior with factory Remington and Peters (when I could get Peters) Post Wad shells. The Post Wad was especially good for the first shot of Doubles.

To the best of my knowledge they were only available a short time as a reloading component. The Post Wad was a very dark green (some could almost be called blackish-green) and were only available to reload the first and second generation Remington and Peters, Plastic Target Load hulls and always at 1 1/8 ounce of shot.(Shot was cheep back then) I am almost absolutely certain they were never made available for the Third generation plastic hulls that Remington called RXP.

Pheasantmaster, you are absolutely correct, They would also fit the Second generation plastic hull called the All American

I’ll even bet that if I go digging in my desk that I have my loader mounted on, I could find 2 or 3 that I kept for my collection......and they are not even close to the color of the light green 1oz. TGT-12 of today.

Mark

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

PerazziBigBore........Yes, I had heard that they gave a lousy pattern. That reputation (I think) was the main reason the Remington discontinued them. I never had the chance to pattern them because at that point of my life, loaded shotgun shells never hung around that long. I felt it was my duty to burn them up as fast as Dad and Grandpa could supply them.

I was young and dumb, shot fast and had confidence the bird would break if you would put it out in front of me. It didn’t matter about what people said about the wad or pattern.

But we would get by with things like that back in the 1960’s. I was just reading a post about Larry Gravestock (one of the best shooters in the nation back then) and how he would bend the barrel of his 31 Remington TC to make it shoot where he wanted.

Can you imagine anybody doing that today with their Perazzi or even a BT-99! I don't think so! I truly think the game of trapshooting is over-analyzed today. The true secret of trapshooting is.....See the target.....Move to the target.....Get on the target.....Pull the trigger. There is a lot to be said about the KISS method. Especially if you don't know any better. LOL

Mark

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Oh mercy! 20,000 Post Wads!!!???

I basically don’t know of any other hull they might fit, except the first and second generation Remington-Peters plastic hull and the Remington-Peters paper hulls of the very early 1960’s

I think it would, to some extent, they would also fit the old Winchester-Western Paper Target hulls of the early 1960’s. Winchester remade that Paper Super Target shell sometime in the late 1980’s early 1990’s. It wouldn’t be a perfect fit but it would work. But I haven't seen either of those paper hulls in many years.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

old remington post wad w23618 for spreader loads for trap

12ga remington post wads

identifying old green remington wads

post spreader wad

post wads

remington post wads