1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Jobs

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by FlyteGirl, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyteGirl

FlyteGirl Member

"From Boston: 'A solar panel manufacturer that received $58 million in state aid four years ago is closing the plant and laying off 800 workers.' Green jobs, baby!" - Sue

2. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I think you'll find that in reality most of the "green jobs" out there are held by Mexicans. They are called Gardeners.

Randy

3. FlyteGirl

FlyteGirl Member

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Lets build a windmill. $2.2 million.....and the savings pays it off in 75 years! Great investment.

5. FlyteGirl

FlyteGirl Member

Well, some companies are making a killing on green products. Companies believe that that since a majority of people believe in it, they don’t want to fight the issue; they just want to sell products and market to the people. So if they believe that a majority of American consumers believe this green garbage, then they're going to get on the bandwagon. Here’s the twist, if you’re an American corporation A, and you manufacture a product, it is much easier to convince people to buy that product thinking that they are doing something good for the green movement, for global warming, for pollution, and it's much easier to sell the sale of that product on this basis rather than, "Hey, buy this so that our profits go up! Buy this so that our stock price goes up." The corporations are able to go green and sell these products on a green basis, taking themselves out of the equation. They're not only taking themselves out of the equation, they're getting, in their opinion, added PR.

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Flyt what make a product a green product? I honestly don't kown the criteria for the designation. I do know that in business if a product doesn't sell the company will stop making it. If it's the only product they make I guess they lay off everyone and shut the place down. That must have been the case. Sorry to hear it. Those folks in that area have not only the snow and late storms to deal with now they are unemployed. That sucks, I know all about unemployment. Dan

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Setterman, The state of MASS has signed an agreement with Cape Wind to buy their power at a signifcant increase over what we could buy Hydro from Canada for. Just continuing to drive the cost of living up. Bob

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

People buying power don't seem to realize that hydro power is green. Buying wind generated power over Hydro power is just politics. It's also a waste of the taxpayers money, and should be exposed.

One twist on that would be buying home generated power over power from Canada in which case I could see keeping your dollars at home.

I live in CA and I have a friend who is an Engineer for one of the biggest Windmill Manufacturers in the country. Their biggest problem is moving the parts. As it sits they just about have to set up a manufacturing falicity right next to a proposed windfarm in order to be able to get the hugmongous parts to the jobsite. We are talking columns that are 400 feet tall and individual blades that are 300 feet long. all of this for 3 MW of power.

I was watching a show about hunting sheep in Oregon. All of the ridge lines had windmills on them.

Here in CA all of the local GREENIES have gotten legislation passed preventing windmills on ridge lines to "preserve the view". these are the same assholes that are demanding all offshore drilling stopped, and yet they drive thier PEEUSES everywhere and I also know some who buy BioDiesel at $4.00/gallon+ jsut becasue they feel guilty about getting such good gas mileage from their 30 year old MBZ's Nevermind that they get 10% less fuel mileage on the Bio D.

I think the liberal mind concocts solutions to problems that don't exist, and the Conservative mind spends all of it's time fixing the problems caused by short the sighted idiots that couldn't leave well enough alone.

Change for the betterment of man is good. Change for the sake of change is stupid, and wastes everybodies time. Kind of like Facebook. Biggest time waster concocted in many years.

When people talk about Green Jobs I always ask them to name one! It's usually hard for them to name one,,,,two is nearly impossible.

I hate buzzwords, they are the closest thing to pure BS there is.

Randy

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

As I labor to point out to these non-technical "Liberal Arts majors" - the Second Law of Thermodynamics has not been repealed.

They read an article about some speculative new technology, and they believe it's reality...without any idea of the technical cost-benefit calculations involved.

They think some brilliant Cal Tech PhD just dreams this stuff into existence, and It Is So...once again, the inestimable intellectual superiority of the American University System reigns supreme and saves the day!

The other day, I was talking to one who'd read an article about lithium batteries, and was under the impression a new source of energy had been found. To which I had to point out, no, it's just a STORAGE technology, you still have to charge it up by burning carbonaceous fuel for the most part.

I'm beginning to believe science and math ignorance has reached an unrecoverable level in this country...and the environmental movement is primarily responsible. Most of these people wouldn't know science if it grabbed their ass and tried to bum a smoke.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Its easy to convince a lib. about green. Their so gd stupid they think their helping out the eco system at the same time holding special interest for themselves.
    Their like a wort on your ass, its just their to annoy you and if you don't keep an eye on it and have it removed it will turn into cancer.
    Kinda like the cancer that is eating its way thru this country today.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The only thing keeping widmills viable is the government grants, tax deductions, and mandates. In our state, all power companies are mandated to provide 25% of their power from "alternative" green sources. That means, Hydro, windmills, or solar fields.

When you crank out the real numbers, the investments do not pay for themselves compared to LP, coal, or nuclear.

My statement above about it taking 75 years to pay off a 500KW windmill are exact as I was involved in a project considering one through state grants. The initial equipment costs, foundations, power connections,engineering and permits, and the clean up of the "dirty power" by the utility company, and their refund for power to the system still took 75 years to pay off the investment.

That did not include maintenance to the turbine. Maintenance is still an unknown number. Next time you drive by a windfarm, count the units not running.

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Plus the fact that the windmills have huge bullgear assemblies that hold many gallons of gear lube that have had a problem with leakage, they have the potential to pollute much more than they save, it has become a problem, but you will never hear about it, it isn't green

13. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Just taking a drive out to Palm Springs on I-10 or up to Mojave and you see how many windmills that are shut down. Usually it is at least 50%.

Buzz: This "inestimable intellectual superiority of the American University System" is a direct result of the liberal mindset. The teachers union runs the schools, and lets face it, all they have in mind is the best interest of the teachers union!

Trying to blow smoke up the ass of the entire United States is a pretty tall order if you don't have any accomplishment to stand behind except failure.

They have driven us into bankruptcy and we have a good chance to fix IL, NY, and CA right now, because we can't afford their crap any more. IE: They have priced themselves out of a job, just like virtually every union eventually does.

Randy

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Green jobs...hahahahahahahaha. That's as funny as Barrys' "shovel ready

projects" scam he so eloquently touted during his campaign and then recently

had to admit there was no such thing as a shovel ready project.

Just another lie from barry the kenyan village idiot.

Where's Al Gore when you need him??? Global warning...global cooling, which is

it this week??

15. shelly

shelly TS Member

I have a few of those wind turbines on my property and just sold the royalties for the duration of the contract for a bundle. I'm laughing all the way to the bank while the buyer is probably going to get burned by these white elephants. Anybody who believes that wind power is anything but a feel good flash in the pan is nothing but a twinky,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.