1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Duster vs Down Range XL1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Southpaw Sam, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

With the big price increase in Greendusters here in the East, I am trying the XL1's. Besides being 3 grains lighter, has anyone found any other points of interest, pro or con, with the XL1's? Also your favorite load for them. I've loaded 19 gr./green dot with Fed. 209's in AA's & Sts. Seems adequate for my needs. Comments please.
    Sam

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

18.0 grains of Promo, Chedditte 209, and XL-1 in STS hull. Killer doubles first shot load.

Matt Woodson

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Loaded lots of Dusters, just got some JXL-1 in to try.

My friend swears by them. I'm loading the same dose as I always used, 17.5 of Titewad.

HM

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have loaded lots of Green Duster, XL-1 and the JXL-1 wads. I prefer the Dusters as I get zero bloopers in my .745 barrel with the Dusters. I have had some with the Downrange wads.

5. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Wincheser AA hulls,Winchester primers,22.5 grn. WST powder,Down Range XL-1 neon green wads, 1 oz of 7 1/2 shot. Through my crono at 1290-1310 fps. Mark Mauch

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The neon green XL-1 is a great wad. Nothing against green dusters, I used to use them.

But the XL-1 is my wad of choice for 1 ounce loads nowadays.

Remington hull, Winchester primer, 17-ish grains of Hodgdon CLAYS, XL-1 wad, and one ounce of shot.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I tried a few boxes of the dusters and broke targets just fine. A couple years back, several shooters said the duster would sometimes fly way out there! One guy said he even broke a clay with a duster wad! In looking beyond where most wads land, I found out why. Shot will embed itself into the base of the plastic which makes it carry much farther out. Look around the ranges, you too will locate a few with embedded shot. I use the XL-1. Hap

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Timb99, same exact formula for me, except a Rio primer...

9. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

Go downrange XL-1

10. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

definatly go with the downrange XL-1. I load 19.2gr of solo 1000, 1 oz., tog gun, fiocchi primer, and a DRXL-1. I will shoot this shell from the 16 to the 27 and just crush targets. word of caution though dont use alot of wad pressure. these wads do not collapse uniformly. hope I could help.

11. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

A lot of interesting data posted. I also notice no one using green dot. Being sensative to recoil, I decided to use green dot, having heard it creates a more gentle push instead of the sudden jolt of faster powders. Both green dusters & XL1's pattern similarly for me, better in modified than full, however.
    Sam

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Love the DR XL-1. STS, 17 gr. 700x, Fiocchi 616, and 1oz. of 8's or 8 1/2.

Steve

13. Mojo

Mojo Member

Here's a real 1 oz. winner for the Green Downrange XL-1: STS hull & Rem primer,
    19.5 gr. Green Dot - 1200 fps/ 8600 psi.

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I've replaced Green Dusters with DRA-12 due only to availability. Work equally well: Rem Hull, FED 209, 17.5 International Clays, 1 oz 8's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

down range neon green xl-1 wads

downrange xl1 green