1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

green dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I just started using green dot because clays can't be found these days. It seems to shoot well and with less felt recoil. Some one told me it burns dirty but have not noticed it.

the question is I want to load some for international loads usinf 1 oz , how does this powder perform using these loads. at 3 .25 drams and 8500 psi it sound like it would be real clay crusher at 1300 fps.

i found this recipe in the allient book.

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

19.5 of green dot with 1 1/8 load is 1,300 ft./sec. through a chronograph. So if you wanted to use 1 oz. of shot you would need to drop it down to 19.0 or even lower. Also, depends on the hull shape. Big difference between Federal and AA or Remington. Best to measure all powder drops with a scale and then run them through a chronograph. Fred

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

dolphin62

Green Dot is a good powder for some moderate to heavy one ounce loads. I use a lot of it, but mostly for handicap 1 1/8 oz. I use it for some 1 oz loads and it performs quite well. The wad and the shot make a difference, especially at higher velocities and distances. I have NO complaints about it's ability to break targets. It's usually me that misses them.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

19.5 gr of GD only gives about 1150 fps in 1 1/8 oz loads (per Alliant manual) If you want to push 1 oz at 1250 fps, you will need about 21.5~22 gr of GD, depending on hull and primer used. Stick with the powder mfgr's manual and you'll be happy with GD!

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.