Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Dot

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dr.beav 
#1 ·
It seems every reloading book has different info. I'm using sts hulls, Rem. primer, Win. WAA12 wad,1 1/8 oz. 7.5 and 19.9 grains of Green Dot which seems fine according to Alliants website. Somebody stop me now if that sounds crazy. Thanks

#2 ·
Brino, the data is fine. Other than an extreme typo, you are not going to blow yourself up using data published by Alliant.

As far as different loading manuals producing different data. That's not surprising. They used different lots of powder and different test/pressure barrels. What I find surprising is the inconsistency. For example, comparing data for the components I use with e3 powder in the Alliant and Lyman data shows almost identical results. Yet comparing American Select Data makes you wonder if they are on the same planet.

#3 ·
Ya know if that's what the powder manufacture says it is a good load than I agree with the them and also say its a good load.

Load them shells and then go bust some targets with them and if ya dont bust no targets with them then I'm going to change my suggestion and say its a bad load.

#5 ·
I have found the data provided by Alliant conflicting also, However on the Alliant website under the contact section you can send an e mail to the Lab. I called on Wed left a message and recieved a returned call on Thursday and had a good conversation with Ben. I have called several time in the past years and have always recieved good info and helpfull advise.

#7 ·
Brino- You have selected a good load.

Stu Pidash- Just a comment on your post. Powder manufacturers publish safe loads in their manuals, not necessarily good loads. Some may remember the light loads published for 800X powder. They certainly were safe and they might have been good for something but certainly not good for shooting through a shotgun. A well known magazine writer, D. Zuts, wrote how good the loads were but it is clear that Mr. Zuts had an expanded imagination.

Pat Ireland

#9 ·
Hey - good recipe except for the Winchester WAA12 wad -- that wad will be about 1/8 th inch too long and your crimps will come open after a while in the box -- I would suggest a Claybuster clone for the WAA12 for it will be just a little bit shorter. By the way, 20.8 green dot and the Claybuster WAA12 clone, and 1 1/8 th oz shot in an STS hull averages 1266 f/s by my chronograph out of an overbored barrel. the beav

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.