Trapshooters Forum banner

green dot

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  nudehunter1 
#1 ·
just bought a 8 lb keg of green dot and 14 bags of downrange 1 oz wads, from a guy who stopped reloading, been looking up a suitable load and can't find one for green dot, what can I use?

#2 ·
You obviously haven't looked in the Alliant reloading manual. I see at least five 1 oz loads listed for DR wads using Green Dot. What hull, what primer and what velocity????

#8 ·
STS, Nitro, Premier RXP and Gun Club are all listed under the same heading in the Alliant manual. There are three 1oz DR wad loads listed for Green Dot, but primers are Rem.209p. If your primers are the same then 19.5 - 20 grs, depending on which specific wad, will give your the 1200 fps. If nothing else, pick up the phone and call Alliant.

#10 ·
Just a suggestion: I would "save" the Green Dot for your handicap loads, whatever that may be. One of the major selling points of Green Dot is reduced felt recoil. Unless you're ultra recoil-sensitive, Green Dot would be "wasted" on 1 oz loads. Using Green Dot for one ounce loads is like using a Mercedes to deliver newspapers. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

#11 ·
I've used Green dot with cheddites in gun clubs.No real problem.I tend to load on the light side powder wise.What I did notice is the green dot seemed to get dirtier with the 1 ounce loads.especially since I use the ligter powder loads.You can actually go down to 7/8 ounce loads with it,but I won't since it's just as cheap to use red dot or cheaper to use promo with those loads.As others have offered,I too will offer to take the green dot off your hands if your disatified with it.depending on price and location of course.

Doug H.(Pa)

#13 ·
I use 19.5 grains in a remington hull,Noble primer,downrange XL1 wad. It shoots a hair over 1200 fps but it needs to be kept warm as 40 degree and below weather has an effect on this powder. It was made for 1 and 1/8 loads but it will work for 1 oz. I wouldn't hesitate to switch primers for this load! PJ

#15 ·
thank you for the info, you guys have confirmed what I was thinking, I'm going to use 19.0 of green dot, the same as I use for a 1-1/8 ounce load. I'm only looking for a 16 yard practice load. since none of us reloaders are using the powder that we want [since its not available] we are going to use what we can get. whether or not its the best for the applications that we want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.