1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flinter58, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Have been shooting Internation Clays for my 23 yard loads --- am thinking about switching to Green Dot - esp. since I was given 4 pounds - Those that use Green Dot - tell me about it for H'cap load ? ? STS and AA hulls

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

I use 19.5 GreenDot, ( 33 bsng in my particular Mec )

Windjammer 1 1/8 of #8

Win 209 primer

STS hull

Seems to work well from the 16 to the 23 ( my yardage )

3. gary0920

gary0920 Member

AA hull
    Win 209 primer
    20.5 gr green dot
    Rem fig 8 wad
    1 1/8 7 1/2 shot

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've used both Red and Green Dot for more than 40 years and will till my last shot. For caps from any yardage, it's Green-Dot in my cases. Hap

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you liked International Clays, you'd probably be OK with Green Dot. There's a lot of data for it at the Alliant Site. Just be aware that using Remington primers in some loads can give some spectacular flames out of the ejection port of an auto at night. Great for the games where you line up at the back fence. It really gets to the shooter on your right.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

gary0920, is right on target or 1oz with 19 grains of GD. Both work great.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had some extras from a boxoloading stuff I got from a loader cleaning shop.
    STS 12GA hull 1 1/8oz shot win 209 RXP12wads 22graims green dot pretty heffty for me bit of a bite to it. 1250fps. I prefer and load clays.

8. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Green Dot is a great HCP powder. It's slow burning and patterns well especially in the DR Versalite wad. Try 19.5-20 gr. for a 1 1/8 payload as it will be going approx. 1200 fps. The Versalite wad is a good one.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I wholeheartedly agree with Tshooter92. I use 18.5gr. with a RXP12 wad, STS primer and 1 1/8 oz. shot. Chronographed 3 different times and batches, averaging just a few ticks under 1200 fps. and gives a nice even pattern through my guns. I don't really notice any recoil difference to speak of, but I am totally sold on the product and use it for everything from Skeet to 27 yard Handicap. Even though I know it is not the cleanest burning powder and not the cheapest recipe, I ain’t gona change nutin 'til I have to.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

It is a little dirty than International. Fred

11. crk

crk Member

<<<Just be aware that using Remington primers in some loads can give some spectacular flames out of the ejection port of an auto at night.>>>

Why is that? I just noticed this the other night - this was the first time I used Rem primers in my reloads and shot at night. Even commented to my wife that the fireworks show was "spectacular tonight."

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Stick with the International Clays. More accurate drops!!

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well my all time favorite handicap load (so far) is STS hull, W209 primer, 19.1gr Green Dot, Fig-8 & 1 1/8oz West Coast magnum shot. Goes 1145fps and works like a charm. It is very consistent (SDs between 7 and 8 over my chrono). Bump it to 20gr if you want 1200fps.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

crk

The Remington Primers just have that effect at night with certain powders. It has to do with the differences in the way primers ignite the powder and will vary from type to type. I changed primers and no more fireworks. Just be sure to double check the data, since there will probably be a change in pressures.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Green Dot is a good powder for 1 1/8 oz Handicap loads. When it was developed, the maker claimed tighter patterns with it. For 1200 fps loads and above, it has a loyal following. I liked the Fed 209A primer with it.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

20.5 gr green dot, windjammer wad, Win 209 or Fio 209, and STS hull= 1200fps. Great load for handicap and second shot on doubles.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Green Dot is an exceptionally good powder for handicap loads. The Alliant reloading manual gives a lot of excellent reloading choices with Green Dot.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is a rem sts 12ga hulls with a versalite wad green dot powder a good handicap load