1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Green Dot vs Hogdon International ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AZ Chris, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZ Chris

AZ Chris TS Member

Does anyone know if Hogdon International powder gives the same great handicap pattern results as Green Dot does? just wondering. Thanks
  2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Looking at the data from the two websites, Alliant and Hodgdon, it looks like International pressures get much higher than GreenDot when you try to push 1 1/8 oz of shot over 1200 fps. That might be a concern, depending on what you want to shoot for a handicap load. Mark
  3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Depending on the bore of your gun, choke constriction, primer, type and manufacturer of wad, hull, weight of shot, amount of powder.........Could be very close.

Wayne
  4. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

In my guns and my testing, I like International Clays better. This is with 1145 and 1250 ft/sec, 1 & 1/8oz loads. It burns much cleaner and there is less grey powder left on my machine when I reload. Patterns are not any different between the two. And I base that on real statistical testing with Shotgun Insight. In fact there was no performance difference between Factory Nitro 27s, Titegroup, Green Dot and International Clays...in my gun. The only practical difference is whether you like to use Fig8s or TGT12 wads in your hulls.

Don't get me wrong, I like Green Dot ok, it does give great performance. I especially like 2.75 dr loads with it. But it burns dirty and hulls get pretty grimey. For me Int'l Clays and Titegroup is better. Both leave less residue than GD and hulls seem to last longer.
  5. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

My experience has been that Intnl Clays is the cleanest burning, slightly faster and less tolerant of 'back fence' types of loads. GD will hang in there with a handicap 1225 fps 1 1/8 load recipe. Intnl is what I use for sporting clays.
  6. ABH

ABH Member

Take a look at Universal for handicap loads. Clean burning and meters well.

ART H.
  7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

I dont see any difference in pattern or breaks ... and it sure is alot cleaner. But, it is more expensive.
  8. shrek

shrek Member

I also like international better for much more uniform metering, less ash/ grime etc, and what seems to be longer hull life. As also mentioned, for stouter loads I will use universal.

I have not observed any difference in patterns or the way either will break clay targets from a distance.

yes there is a difference in price, however when applied over the amount of shells loaded per 8 lb jug, it is a very small difference per box that for me is worth it for the things I like better about international
  9. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

try solo 1000 soft shooting clean.
  10. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Gee Alliant powder made in Virginia & hodgedon made where? I u Alliant n everything gotta keep some sorry bum working n Virginia besides myself Keith
  11. timb99

timb99 Active Member

And Hodgdon employs people in Kansas.
  12. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I think that you will find that Universal is made down here in good ole Auatralia by ADI { Thales Group] . We buy good ole U.S powders too.
  13. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I think that you will find that Universal is made down here in good ole Auatralia by ADI { Thales Group] . We buy good ole U.S powders too.
  14. timb99

timb99 Active Member

BFD. Hodgdon is an American Company. My friend Chris Hodgdon does not have an Australian accent.

Is your gun made in America?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.