1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot Versus International

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by srvfan, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srvfan

srvfan Member

Taking a poll on which is better Green Dot or International Clays for handicap
    loads. Green dot claims a more consistant pattern??????
    I am used to using Fed 209a/Waa12/AA hull... The hogdon site claims 1200 fps
    at 19.0 grains of powder is this a good handicap load?
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Also would like to see other loads with Green Dot preferably 1250 Fps
    Paul

2. srvfan

srvfan Member

The Alliant site claims 12oofps at 19.0 grains not Hogdon.......
    Paul

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check out www.alliantpowder.com and see what they have listed for 1250 fps there. Green Dot at 1200 fps is reasonable in pressure for most loads. At 1250 fps, Green Dot appears to be approaching the higher end of the pressure limits(at 10.5K PSI), especially with the Federal 209A primer. I'd rather use a powder like Unique or Universal Clays for 1250 with your components to keep the pressures within reason, or try the Western WT-12 wad to get the pressures down below 10K. I have not noticed any appreciable difference in patterns with Green Dot VS most other similar powders. I also don't count hundreds of patterns a day, so it may have a slight edge that I'm not seeing, but I wouldn't think it was too significant. You also neglected to state how much shot you are using. I would assume it's 1 1/8 oz according to the data you gave.

For the original question, Green Dot is a good powder and so is International Clays. I use them both, but would go with Green Dot, since the cost is more than $10 a jug less where I buy my powder. As for the 1200fps load with Green Dot being a good handicap load, I would certainly use it and not feel handicapped in doing so. I'm not sure that pushing it up to 1250 fps has any real advantage since it burns a few grains more of the powder with every shot and beats your shoulder up a little more. One of my favorite handicap loads is 19.5 grains of Green Dot with the same components you are using. That's just because my bushing throws that much and the next size down puts it down under 19 grains. I get about 1210 fps over my chronograph with that load. It also works very well in colder weather. Remington and Fiocchi primers did not do as well with low temps.

I'll leave the other glaring question up to you....7 1/2s or 8s?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both powders are good, but I strongly prefer Green Dot. Green Dot is one of the few examples I can think of where a product made in the USA (Green Dot) is less expensive than its imported counterpart (Clays). I wish more American products were less expensive than the imports.

Pat Ireland

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

srvfan,

How about Hodgdon Titegroup for handicap loads?

And Pat, this one is made in the good old USA! How about that?

All kidding aside, Titegroup is a very good handicap powder, and one worth considering. I do not know how its retail price compares to Green Dot.

Until recently Titegroup is what Remington used in their Nitro 27 loads. What they use now is probably exactly the same powder formula, just that it is not actually bought from Hodgdon.

Tim

6. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Pat - with the devaluation of the dollar, American products will be come cheaper than the imports.

Mike

7. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

I have used both Green dot, and International clays and found that (19.8-20.0)gr of each is a good load for handicaps. But I agree with others that Titegroup is now my favorite for my handicap (27 yds) 18.5 gr. With that load you save yourself some money on an eight pnd keg by giving you more loads, versus a powder that has to drop 20 or more grains for the same speed. And I can still buy Titegroup for around $95.00 per eight pnd keg.......

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I must second what timb99 says about titegroup. This powder works extremely well under all temps! The best part is that you only need 18.0 grains to push a 1 1/8 oz load 1235fps.

ec90t

9. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

I can't compare Green Dot to International for I have not used International. I do however, suggest you use the following recipe with Green Dot: Gold Medal plastic hull - 20 grains - 1 1/8 oz - 12S3 wad. They crush the target from the 27. Use 8 shot in weather 70 and above, 7 1/2 below 70. I haven't checked the speed of the load, but Alliant manual states it's at 1200.

Previously I used Red Dot and Promo, but only use them now on singles and doubles, now that I began using Green Dot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

international clays vs green dot

international vs green dot