1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot/Versalite Load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Has anyone pressure tested and/or chronographed the following load?

It has been recommended by a trusted shooter, but checking here 1st. Have emailed Alliant as well. Unless I get some negative responses or Alliant does not recommend, I will probably send it out for lab testing and will post those results.

Rem Hull

Win 209

1 1/8 Shot

Versalite Wad

21.0 gr. Green Dot

For long yardage, I shoot Nitros or Federal Handicaps and looking for a more affordable alternative.

2. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

Mark - Here is the reply that I received in 2010 for a similar question posed to Alliant's Ben Amonette. It does NOT answer the specific pressure question but does address the safety concern. At least it did for me. John in Iowa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: RE: Recipe assistance for Green Dot
    Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:22:14 -0400
    To: johnrdvorak

The Win and Rem primers will use the same data. Try 19 grs for 1145 fps or 20 grs for 1200 fps. Thanks for your return note.

Ben Amonette

Consumer Service Manager

Alliant Powder Company

Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:39 PM
    To: Amonette, Ben
    Subject: Receipe assistance for Green Dot

Hello Ben -

I am looking for a 1200 fps; 1.125 oz load using Down Range Versalite wad, Winchester 209 primer and Green Dot in an STS or Gun Club hull. What is the grains of Green Dot do I need and what is the corresponding pressure?

What about using the same components for a 1145 fps load?

Thanks for your assistance Ben. I really appreciate your help.

Regards,
    John

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Mark425:
    This is like comparing apples to oranges, but a friend of mine loads green dot. He has a load that smokes targets and is very soft on recoil. His load is 18 grains of green dot, Federal 209 primer, 12s3 federal wad, in a Gold medal hull. 21 grains of green dot to me sounds like over kill. I shot his reload and it's a winner. If it was me, I would drop the powder charge.
    Steve Balistreri

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mark425,

The shell you desribe is very unfriendly to targets from far away. It's a little heavy if you are closer than the 25yard line, but from there back it is a dandy. This is also a good sporting load for those long crossers.

ss

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

1235fps. Don't think it can be beat for extreme distance with 7 1/2s. It appears to come into it's own @ 40yds.+. I was shooting some @ bunker for grins and on the 2nd. shot, 50+ yds. it was breaking them with authority when I pointed the muzzle correctly. I like to use a Fed 209A primer with this load. It absolutely delivers a knock-out punch - my 2 cents.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pressure tested? No. Chronographed? Yes. 21.0 grains showed 1260+ fps on average from a cyl bore 30" barrel. 20.2 grains at 1230 fps. Factory Nitros run about 1240 over the same setup. My standard long handicap load? 20.0 to 20.3 grains, depending on the lot of powder and what it throws with the bushing I use. Size and quality of shot can make a difference. The usual chronographs used are setup in tandem (Pro-Crono) and I have had similar results over a Chrony "F" series. I'm sure a professional inductive chronograph would be a better option, but my optical/light screens are consistent enough for my usage.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm running 18.8 across the Pro-Chrono this afternoon. I'll report

8. JACK

18.8 was weak. About 1125 average. That was in a 32 bushing. I think a 33 will be allright.

9. eyegoods

eyegoods TS Member

10. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I think your 21 grain Green Dot load will give you pressures that push 11000 PSI. Be careful in pushing these upper limits.

11. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I think your 21 grain Green Dot load will give you pressures that push 11000 PSI. Be careful in pushing these upper limits.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Thanks all,

I think I will stick with Quack Shot's load (20-20.3 gr.) as its close enough to the Nitros. The 21.0 gr that was recommended sounds like its pushing Green Dot a little to much for my comfort. Will try them out today and report back on my impressions.

Thanks again,
    Mark

13. JACK

Well, here ya go with my test today.

STS, 19.4 Green Dot, Versalite wad, Rem primer. 1-1/8 oz hard shot. Out of a Perazzi 18.4 bore, .030 Briley choke. Pro-chrono. Tested about a dozen... In fact here they are...
    [​IMG]
    The range was 1239 fps high, to 1116 low.The puffy crimp yo see in towards the back was the 1116. Average 1185.

Then I tested the same load using Remington Figure 8 wads. same everything except the wad. Here are the shells I ran across the Pro-Chrono.
    [​IMG]
    The results were similar except more uniform in FPS. High was 1204, low was 1167, and ave was 1192.

That is the end of the test for me. I have about 4 lbs of GD powder to shoot up and then I am switching to 700X. GD is too bulky.

I shot up a few boxes of these today and felt they had the oomph I wanted for hcp practice. The conditions were windy, 65 degrees and humidity. They shot well. I broke 86% of my hcp practice targets. As a tune-up for tomorrow.

Jack

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Jack.

I shot a 199 X 200 today in 16 yards with Federal Gold Medal cases loaded with Win/Primers, the downrange version of the 12s3 wads, 19.2 grains of Green Dot, 1 1/8 oz. of Law/mag. 8's. It really hits targets hard through my 20 Thou. Krieghoff Titanium choke.

It felt soft and hits targets great, I have shot that load a lot never cared about the speed but it works great. It feels just like the new 2 3/4 Federals.

Terry.

15. JACK

TJ, et-al... Well I do not like the full look of the crimps. Adn when I ran the PW, I used the 5.5 shot bushing (1-1/16 oz shot) and everything came up rosy. NO problems, 32 bushing of powder, and same wads and primers. Last year they booked thru the ProChrono at about 1225 fps. Adn I loved the 10% less perceived recoil. The lighter lead load seemed to do the job and it certainly left me room for the components and gave me nicely done crimps.

So last evening I took my one ounce bar and dremel-ed out the shot cavity to accommodate about 1/16 ounce more lead. Adn loaded a couple up with the same stuff except using a 32 bushing and the crimps were more to my liking. Did not get a picture, but will and add it to this tomorrow night. I loaded 4 boxes and will shoot those this AM if the storms allow. Got stormed out yesterday.

Yesterday was such a tough day around me. ATA shoots everywhere within an hour and a half and the weather was a factor. I picked the worst area to shoot and got stormed out.

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Hey MIA,

I have used the Fig-8 with the same other components you tried for years. In my gun, unless I got up to 20.0 gr. they just didnt preform very well. Same looking numbers at the 19-19.5 grains with similar inconsistent chrono spreads. If I increased the load to 20 to 20.3 gr. or so it became much more consistent and a nice handicap shell. Mine chronoed at about 1235.

I did go out and try 20.5 gr. Greendot, Versalite 1 1/8, Win primer in a Rem hull yesterday. Since my chrono is died a few months back I thought I would just use the ole' eyeball and do a non-scientific test. Put 25 of each (Nitros, Federal Handicap and the Versalite) in my pouch, gun is a CG 34" unsingle with factory .036 choke. Stood on the 27 with the trap locked on straightaways and started shooting. Didnt look at which shell I was loading until each shot was taken. The results were: I couldnt tell much difference between the Nitro and Fed but I give the edge to Federals. The Versalite was definately last, many targets looked to be broken in half, very few really hard hits. Next, shot an entire box of the Versalite loads with the same looking weak breaks. Then shot a box of Fed's and back to the good solid breaks. End the end I dont care for the Versalite loads. I was really suprised at the weak breaks. Others have reported such good results with the same load. My gun apparently doesnt shoot this recipe very well (could be me as too). Never thought not much more than a wad change vs. my other favorite reload would make much of a difference. About as non-scientific as you can get however.

17. JACK

mARK. i'LL chrono that lod this week

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
21 grains greendot

green dot versalite