1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Green Dot Recipe???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I have a chance to pick up a bunch of Green Dot cheap. Does anyone have a favorite Green Dot Recipe, Rem hull, 1 1/8 shot, about 1200fps? I would be interested in a 1 oz load as well. Thanks, gyrine

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go to the Alliant site.

3. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

Here is the link to tha Alliant Load Data site.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe Green Dot is the best powder for handicap loads. It is OK for singles and not too good for 1 oz loads.

Pat Ireland

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

The alliant web site seems to be down. gyrine

6. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Gyrine, here's my standard handicap load:

Oz: 1 1/8 West Coast Shot: 7 1/2

Pwd: Green Dot MEC #34 Gns: 20

Wad: Down Range DRV-12 Versalite

Wolf Primer

Jim

7. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

20.5 grains Green Dot, STS hull, Win Primer, and if you can find them, as they don't make them anymore, a Downrange PURPLE PC Wad. 1 oz. #8's. Got me to the 27, they work, and it is published data. Great load!!! Just find the PC's, and you might call Downrange, they may have some in storage, tell them Borny sent ya!!! Good luck! Great load on 2nd shot of Doubles as well.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like shootlow's load. My long time favorite 1 1/8oz load was STS hull, W209 primer, 19.1gr Green Dot, Fig-8 wad, 1 1/8oz West Coast Magnum shot. Extremely consistend, averages 1150fps. But it to 20gr for 1200fps. Both good loads.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My two favorites are both loaded in GM plastic cases. The 1145 fps uses the Fed 209A and the 1200 Fps uses the win 209. Both loaded with real Federal 12S3's.

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

20 grains, blue Duster, Win 209 primer, 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 Remington Shot.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Use the SEARCH: green dot. Lots of info, Wayne

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

gyrine:

There are so many good Green Dot handicap options its hard to pick one.
    My personal favorite is:

Gun Club/STS

Win 209

Fig 8

There are published variations substituting a Rem209P or a AA hull if you prefer.

If you're fond of plastic Gold Medals, another dandy is:

Gold Medal

Fed209A

12S3

I prefer 1145 fps loads from the 27 but there are 1200 fps Green Dot variations for everything listed above. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Green Dot is less than optimal for one ounce loads. I appreciate its Green Dot you have access to so how about trading a friend some Green Dot for some Red Dot or Clays?

sissy

13. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

From June to October, I shot 11 99s. I used one ounce 8 1/2s powered by Green Dot. To Pat Ireland and Recoil Sisssy - Are you telling me that those scores would have been 100s if I had used Red Dot?? What evidence do you have that will back up the "less than optimal" statements?

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I.E. ........anything you load to Alliant's recipies for GREEN DOT will work just FINE. But I prefer 1 1/8th recipies around 1200 FPS(it's cold here in OHIO and recoil means nothing). IF you do your part GREEN DOT WILL DO it's part.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary Waalkes - Slower burning powders will produce inconsistent pressures and velocities when used in light 1 oz loads. When I reload, I want my shells to be the best I can possibly produce. I use premium components and I use a powder designed for the load I am making. Green Dot is designed to burn most consistently behind heavier loads. I believe it it the best powder for handicap loads and I use a lot of it. For my lighter singles and doubles loads, I change to American Select although Red Dot, Clay Dot or e3 would also work well. The manufacturers of these powders agree with me.

It is not possible to judge the quality of shells by directly comparing a few scores shot with the shells. I, as almost all other reloaders, have broken targets with very poor shells. I have also missed targets with very good shells.

Pat Ireland

16. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

A shell can't be made that I can't miss targets with. LOL

Jerry Walker

17. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I cut open a STS factory shell yesterday. The powder looked like Green Dot to me. Had a few green flakes mixed in with the black ones.

Anyone else find that to be true in what you have cut open.

18. Trap4

Trap4 Member

WesleyB, yes I also cut one open and saw the green flakes, talked to a factory rep at the grand about it and he told me that it was definately not Green Dot.

Trap-4

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gary Waalkes:

In the product section of the Alliant site you will find the following comments for Green Dot

Principal Purpose: Handicap trap loads

Secondary Uses: 20 and 28 ga. target loads

and these for Red Dot:

Principal Purpose: Light and standard 12 & 16 ga. target loads

Secondary Uses: Handgun loads

Alliant (and other powder companies) offer a boat load of different powders because each is formulated to achieve best results in specific applications. Most also provide acceptable results in other applications which Alliant labels as ‘secondary’.

The slower burn rate of Green Dot makes it ideal for heavier applications like handicap target loads. It is also terrific in smaller gauges where the mission includes moving a relatively heavy payload from a relatively small chamber area.

Simply said, Green Dot isn’t a horrible use for one ounce loads but it is less than optimal. Faster burning powders (Red Dot, Clays, 700X, etc.) are all better formulations for one ouncers.

Sissy

Ps: Congrats on all those 99’s. That’s pretty good shooting!

20. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Jimborn: I have some of those wads (purple PCs) 6 bags (500) = 3000 wads. 6.50/bag plus whatever shipping amounts to.......merlyn......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best green dot handicap recipe
best green dot recipe
green dot handicap loads
green dot recipe
green dot reloading recipes

green dot trap recipes

green dotnrecipe
old green dot recipes