1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by VAMiket, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

Tried Green Dot and found it to be very dirty. What Alliant powder is a veresatile as GD but cleaner burning? I've tried Hodgon Int Clays and found it to be clean but it has cold temperature issues.

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have had good results from "Promo". Ron

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

When you say dirty - what do you mean? Leftover or unburned powder is a recipe problem. On the other hand, if the problem is just some powder residue, you can clean your gun with a single pass of a cleaning patch. What do you mean?

4. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

If I was seeing left over or unburned powder I would have said that. When I use Int Clays I don't get the black residue like I get when I use GD. That's what I mean when I say dirty, it appears to be a carbon like residue. I was looking for general observations not a contest of let me tell you what you are doing wrong. Additionally, I'm loading the GD per the Alliant manual. Now this thread is not an analysis of GD, I think it's a well made powder, I just want to know if there is a cleaner burning powder with similar qualities. That's it. If you cannot contribute to the thread in a positive manner, please don't post.

5. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Tite Group powder has similar characteristics and is very clean burning. It is much more dense, however, than Green Dot. I've used them both but keep returning to GD. In the Alliant line, you could also try American Select and e3, both may be cleaner than GD with some of GD's characteristics.

Old Fowler

6. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Sky Dog,

With your attitude, I don't give a damn if you ever find a powder. How's that for contributing in a positive manner?

Longshooter

7. Borderland

Borderland Member

Dupont(hogdon) PB has similar characteristics to Green Dot and is generally cleaner but also generally more expensive. You may possibly have some of the older Green Dot which left a lot of residue. The newer version is cleaner and higher pressure for the same volume. I believe powders like Solo use cotten rather than cellulose for the base and seem to leave less residue.

Ken

8. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Quit pinching pennies and load some PB if you want clean and versatile!

Mr. Mark

9. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

E-3 by alliant very clean burning

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used e3 and I use a lot of American Select for my lighter singles and doubles loads. For my handicap loads, I have found nothing that will preform as well as Green Dot.

Sky Dog- Green Dot is best used in heavier loads. If you use in in lighter loads, it is a little dirty. In the Alliant, or any other manual, safe loads are published. A safe load and the best load are very different things. I have seen some very bad, but safe loads listed in reloading manuals. If you want a 1 1/8 load going out the barrel around 1200 ft/sec, Green Dot is a great powder. If you want a lighter load, try a faster burning powder. Fast powders work best in light loads and slow powders work best in heavy loads. No single powder will work best in both light loads and heavy loads.

Pat Ireland

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Skydog, Alliant American Select is an extremely clean burning powder that is only slightly faster than Greed Dot. It costs the same as GD and you use a tad less per load. If you are not looking for anything hotter than 1 1/8oz @1200fps, this is an excellent choice. I will say that when i follow the recipes published by Alliant, I always get higher velocities than published. It has no discernible cold whether issues. It works well with milder primers like the STS209P.

Solo 1000 is another super clean powder with a burn rate and recoil characteristics similar to GD. It is not primer fussy, and isn't temperature sensitive. It is more expensive than Am Sel or GD.

BTW, both powders are denser than GD, so you don't run into component fit problems in STS hulls if you are going faster than 1200fps.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've used mostly PB for years for everything from one-ounce to handicap loads. It's clean no matter how you use it. But I did try Green Dot when they announced it was cleaner burning perhaps seven years ago. I disliked the black residue it left on my hulls, hands and my gun's internal lockwork, so I contacted Alliant and let them know I what I was experiencing in case I might have gotten an older lot with a newer label. To my surprise, they thought that could have happened and shipped me two eight-pound jugs. They also issued a UPS call tag for the two I had purchased. But that stuff was no different, so I sold the Green Dot to a friend who uses it and bought more PB.

But my last purchase of two eight-pound jugs of PB cast me around $350 with sales tax - I'm starting to think that maybe I can live with the dirt...

Ed

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I use to think the same about Green Dot but the thing I found with it is that you need to get the pressures up to get a 'clean' burn. I started to get the results I was looking for around 9,000 psi. My current favorite load with Green Dot is 20g GD, 1 1/8 Oz shot, DR XL Blue wad and a W209 primer. I did have some problems with GD this winter when I was storing my loaded ammo in an unheated shed ... lots of residue and a couple of bloopers. Storing the ammo in the house solved that problem.

So if you are after a do it all powder, then Green Dot is probably not the best choice but it is very good for the 1,200 FpS (+) 1 1/8 Oz target loads. What kind of loads do you shoot the most of Sky?

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've only used Green Dot for 'caps reloads and find it very clean burning. The shells I used were shot in the cold and heat with no ill effects either way.

ss

15. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like Alliant E3 for 1 ounce loads in STS hulls with the Remington TGT12 wad. I like Alliant Green Dot in Federal Gold Medal hulls with the Federal 12S3 wad and Federal primers.

My experience is that Green Dot is a suburb powder for 1 1/8 oz loads. Keep your pressure above 9000 PSI and light it with a hot primer.

Green Dot, from what I have read, gives a more dense core. It really seems to keep the pattern together for me at longer ranges in games.

I used to load IMR PB in the old Federal ribbed Gold Medal hull and it was very, very good. I switched to Green Dot because of PB's cost and availability.

Ed Ward

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Wasn't Sky dog Duane Allman's nick-name?

I've used Green Dot for handicap loads for years with no issues. I'm using PB right now because I got it cheap. I do like PB better, but will go back to GD when I run out.

Wayne

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"My experience is that Green Dot is a suburb powder for 1 1/8 oz loads."

I've found it pretty good out in the country too! ;-)

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

American Select and Clay Dot

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use Green Dot in my 20 guage for skeet. Burns clean behind 7/8 oz of shot. HMB

20. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

You have a good chance of cracking your sub-guage tubes if you load the new green dot using the old green dot data. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.