1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcr1146, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of loading for the 27 yard line for the upcoming year! I follow the book and have loaded for the Gold Medal cases, new AA cases, and the recipes make sense! However, I am now in the process of loading new STS cases and Alliant's manuals don't compute?! I loaded 20 grains using the Fed cases and wads for 1200! I loaded 19.5 using AA cases. What has me confused is that they are calling for 21 grns using the STS case and WW wad?! In all my experience reloading, usually the Rem and AA recipes are very close. I am shocked that they call for 21 in the tapered STS case and only 20 in the Fed case which is strt walled?! Do not concern yourself with my primer! Anyone want to venture an opinion?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would say it is a misprint. I would call Alliant directly and confirm the data. Anything from here will be second hand.

ss

3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I see what you're saying and I would question that myself. In my older book they have listings for target loads and a subsection for field loads above 1200fps (3 1/4dr.) Try giving them a call to confirm their position. Regards,The TinMan

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Tom are the pressures the same/similar?

If so I see no need to worry it will be a very slight increase in powder costs per pound.

Not criticizing just wondering why it would be of concern if you investigate a little further you will see that all loads with similar spec. are very close in powder amounts. Almost all the drops for Federal Gold Medals are around 20 GR. plus or minus 1/2 to 1 GR. I also noticed that the pressures for the STS seem to be less even though they require more powder.

The same for STS hulls providing we are talking staying at 1200 fps. I don't believe I would worry about it Tom to me it would appear to be just the "nature of the beast"

Bob Lawless

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Tom I,m loading GD in AA,s and STS hulls . My books call for 19.6 in both for a 1200 fps load . I also am useing the claybuster wad . The psi in both hulls is around 9500 .

So your not useing a primer ? You may need to rethink that alittle .

ALF-99

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Unless you use a Figure 8 Wad, there is no load in the book that allows the use of a Win.AA primer in an STS hull with Green Dot. I have used a Win.AA primer and Windjammer wad, STS Hull, and 21 grains Green Dot for years for handicap loads, but it was listed in the windjammer load data.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This was covered here a couple of years ago, Alliant told me it should be 20 grains, 1/2 grain more with the STS hull vs, the AA. Using a Win primer, and Win wad. I usually load 21 grains in a GM hull to get 1200 fps. Wayne

8. tcr1146

You guys are right! I just pulled my hard copy 2004 edition and it called for 21 grns of G.D. using CCI209M primer and WAA12 wad or 21 grns using Rem 209! When I pulled up their website, it no longer lists any combo using the WWAA12 wad. I either dimantle several flats or call them to see if okay! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

9. tcr1146

Whoops! I was wrong again! I just went back in and selected all primers, Green dot powder and all wads, and sure enough, they list 21 grn of G.D. using either the cci209M or the rem 209 using the WAA12 wad. Oh well, I will shoot the damn things! Tom Rhoads

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am using 20 g Green Dot in STS/N27 hulls, 1 1/8 Oz shot, DRXL blue wad and winchester primers. This combo is a fairly mild HC load, 21g is still reasonable with most primers. I don't think you need to scrap what you have loaded.

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Tom: Chronograph your shells. I load 19.7 GD in STS Hull with a Spolar Wad, 1 1/8 shot, with a Chedite Primer and get well over 1250 ft./sec. More than fast enough. I saw the same thing in the newest Alliant Manual and think it is wrong... way too fast. Fred

12. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think you should consider what primer you are using and/or have used.

A quick look at Alliant's 2007?8 Guide shows 21 grs with Rem STS hull, Rem 209P primer and Win WAA12 wad. 20 gr with Fed GM hull, Fed 209A, Win WAA12 wad.

Jason

13. crustygalloot

crustygalloot TS Member

imho i think you should not shoot these loads. you should send them to some of us old copley shooters & we will try them out and report back to you. what you think! robin & friends

14. tractordoc

tractordoc TS Member

I have been shooting STS hulls with a Win. primer, 19.5 grains of Green Dot, Down Range wad, 1 1/8 oz. shot for handicap. It chronos at 1200 fps. It also makes a difference what length of barrel you're using. I shoot a 34" and speeds are higher than a shorter barrel. I was clued into this by the guy who does chronograph tests for Hogdon powder. Their test data is done on a 26 or 28 inch barrel.

15. FLIP

FLIP Member

check on line with green dot and a versalite wad 1 1/8 with AA hull

16. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

TCR1146, I checked the Alliant printed data book and they did list certain combinations as high as 22gr. This was for 3 1/4 dram EQ. Most wad selections listed RXP 12. PM me if you have other questions. TM

17. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I use 19.5 grains of GD in Federals and 18.5 grains in AA and remingtons. I use Windjammer wads in all three and any kind of primer that will fit in the hole. There is no rocket science here....it's just a shotgun....not a rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

21 grains greendot