1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Has anyone had trouble with this powder in 1 oz loads when the temperature drops into the upper 30's? I use the AA hull and 19.5 grs with a jammer XL-1 wad and W209 primer. The load book states 1235 fps.I shot them in these conditions this weekend and they sounded like AA Featherlites.Thanks PJ

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

PJ.. It's been my experience that Green Dot is not very condusive to 1oz. loads, cold weather or not. It is a slow burning powder that is really more suited for faster, heavier 11/8oz loads. A better approach would be Red Dot or Promo. These 2 powders really shine with 1oz. loads, and you don't need to use nearly as much powder to get excellent results.... Dan Thome (trap2)

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Green dot works better in 1 1/8 ounce loads. It likes the "back pressure" required to start the lead moving. Use Solo 1000 or 700x if you want a cold weather 1 ounce load with some pep in it's step. Rick ~~~~Texas

4. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I had that problem also, I changed to an DRXL-1 and 20 grains and it shoots good very little residue and smacks em good.

Rick

5. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

I have found that Green Dot needs a hot primer, Federal or Rio, and the best wad for my needs is the green duster. I shoot this load winter & summer in Penna. Yes, 19 1/2 gr. is excellent with AA's or STS's. I have chronographed ( warm weather) these loads, and get consistant 1225 (+,- 10) F/S with 34" barrel.
    Sam

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I shoot Green Dot with 1 oz loads all the time and have had no problems even down to 10°. I have even shot it with 7/8 oz loads in cold wether with no problems.

Use a good hot primer (F209-A) with hulls in good condition and it'll be fine.

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My favorite load for long shots if AA hulls, 21.5 grains of green dot, 1 1/8 8 shot and WT12 equivalint in claybuster wad. The only thing I change for the 16 is 18.5 grains of green dot. It's hard to beat. I've used it quite a bit in cold weather(20's and 30's) The long bird load is used for dove shoots also. Jackie B.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm kinda like Southpaw Sam. I load 1-1/16, a fig 8, 19 gr GD, and any primer and essentilly get consistent 1225 FPS loads. Adn shoot in cold conditions in MN. My STS crimps are tight coming out of my PW.
    [​IMG]

Too, I will tel lyou that I do not leave my days bullets in the car. I use a insulated bullet cooler that I got from Whiz White. I like handling warm bullets. Easier on the index finger.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I did have some trouble with my GD loads this winter. I am using 20g GD, 1 1/8 Oz in a DR XL1 and WW209 primers in STS hulls. I was keeping my loaded ammo out in my shed where the av. temp was around 10F for about a few weeks. I was getting about 20% of the rounds sounding really weak and the others that sounded okay still left a lot of residue in the tube. (normally this is a really clean load)

The problem was solved by bringing the ammo into the house. It didn't really matter what the temp was while I was shooting the stuff, just how it was stored. Lesson learned, bring the shells in if you wanna win.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Green Dot is a slower burning powder than Red Dot. I like slow burning powders for my heavy handicap loads and a slightly faster powder for lighter loads. I do not expect one powder to be best for my different trap loads.

Pat Ireland

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've shot 21gr Green Dot, TGT wad and Win hull and primer for quite some time with no winter issues. It's 1250 FPS.

12. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I have noticed that in cold weather some loads "sound weak", yet broke targets and recoiled as normal and I wondered if it was a matter of atmospheric conditions affection the speed of sound.

The link seems to bear that out. Put in a temperature of -20C (-4F) and note the speed of sound. Then do it using 21C (69F) and you will see that sound travels significently faster on warm air than in cold air.

Do you suppose that this is any part of the reason that loads sound weak in cold weather?

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

How does GD compare with American Select? Do they burn at close to the same rate? The loading data seem to support their similarities.

I just bought my first batch of components and went with the AS planning to load mostly 1 1/8, but wanting to also experiment with 1oz loads so I got the appropriate wads and planned to use AS.

I am under the impression the two powders are close, with AS getting an edge in burn cleanliness.

Guy Babin

14. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I think MIA may have hit the nail on the head. While I don't keep my shells in an insulated pouch, they are in a warm building until I go out to shoot a round. I use Green Dot for my handicap loads in either a AA, Federal Gold Medal, or Activ hulls, and Clay Dot for 16's in Federal Paper Champion or Paper Premier hulls and I have never had a problem.

15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have shot the one oz load with 19.5 grsof GD for a long time and they work great.After reading your replies I think the warming of the shells will solve the problem.All I shoot is 1 oz loads so if this isn't the answer I will use red dot or 700X.Thanks for the help

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When PB was unavailable, I used Green Dot and International Clays for my one-ounce loads, both of which have similar burning rates to PB. I had some soft-sounding loads with all powders ONLY when I put them in the trunk of my car when I left my house on bitter cold days. Keeping my shell bags on the back seat en route to the club and in the clubhouse after I arrived solved the problem.

Unlike Pat, I do try to simplify my reloading by using one powder for everything and currently do so successfully with PB. But I'm toying with trying Green Dot for all three recipes I load when I use up the 16 pounds of PB I now have.

Ed

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- I do try to keep my component selection to a minimum. I load one type of hull, use only one kind of primer and two wads (1 oz and 1 1/8 oz), but I do use two powders. I use Green Dot for my heavier handicap loads and American Select for my singles and doubles load. A good friend of mine at the Alliant plant (Dick Q.) uses Green Dot for his one oz loads, but I am not convinced that I should use it for light loads.

Pat Ireland

18. crk

crk Member

Had the same issues on occasion with E3 and Winchester primers. Also saw the problem with Rem primers. No issue with Federal Primers though. Cold WX shooting as in 0-15 degrees is where I saw it. Ironically, did not happen last winter.

19. crk

crk Member

Had the same issues on occasion with E3 and Winchester primers. Also saw the problem with Rem primers. No issue with Federal Primers though. Cold WX shooting as in 0-15 degrees is where I saw it. Ironically, did not happen last winter.

20. Erik W

Erik W Member

Realize above relates to 12ga, but I can add that light 7/8 oz 16ga sporting clays loads using GD, that work wonderfully in warm weather, get irratic in cold MI weather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best green dot trap load
best trap load with green dot powder
green dot powder
green dot powder for shooting trap
green dot powder trap shooting

how clean is green dot powder