1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

green dot powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Anyone use Green Dot and if so any good loads for 1 ounce? under 1200 fps. Rem hulls, Cheditte, downrange wads. Handicap loads? Same components
  2. stokinpls

stokinpls Active Member

It's a little slow for 1 oz. 'ers, but if you don't mind a bit of soot, you should get along okay. Green Dot is one of the better powders for handicap loads using 1 1/8 oz. of shot. If your wad set up allows only 1 oz., I think I'd pick a little faster burning powder like Clays or 700X/RedDot. Good luck.
  3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Active Member

knutershooter:

Yesterday you mentioned you have International Clays on hand. Green Dot fills the exact same reloading niche as International Clays. Both make dandy 1 1/8 ounce handicap loads. Neither is ideal for one ounce loads.

If you're serious about one ouncers, faster burning powders are the way to go. The following are all good: Clays, Tightwad, Red Dot, Promo, Solo 1000, and Nitro 100.

sissy

PS: Check your private messages.
  4. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

ya that is true, plan to get some red dot and try that as well, but this was a free pound to try out and just inquiring really at this point, but also looking for handicap load info as well. Thanks and I did reply to PM
  5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I use a modified trap barrel which has 0.022 choke. I use 18 grains of green dot in a Federal Hull, a 12s3 wad, hard shot, and Federal primers. The load is very comfortable to shoot, and it places a tremendous amount of shot withing a 30inch circle. It hits targets with absolute authority. I use this same load from the 16 yard line all the way back to 24yds.

A friend of mine tried the load from the 27 yard line. He hit targets so hard it scared him. He did say he would raise the powder charge to 18.5 for 27yard shooting as he said he needed a bus transfer to catch up to the hard lefts and rights from position #1 and 5.
    Steve Balistreri
  6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

The best powder in my view for your application is Alliant's new Extra-Light. That, with DR's new Purple Windjammer is a very nice 1oz load. Price is a couple of bucks more than Green Dot, but a lot less than Hodgen's Clays by about $20+ for an #8 jug. I believe it to be far superior to Red Dot, and Clay Dot, if, for no other reason, that it's so much cleaner burning.

best...mike
  7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Green Dot makes an excellent 1 oz. load. In fact there are just as many recipes for 1 oz. Green Dot as there is Red Dot on Alliant's web site.

Type in Green Dot on the SEARCH feature and you'll find all kinds of 1 oz. info.

Wayne
  8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I use Green Dot for my handicap load (GD,Versalite, Win209) but for 1oz. I like Claydot for singles. If your looking for a super tight pattering, 16 yd target smasher that saves a tiny bit of $$ over Green Dot...try this combo.

mark425_2008_030360.jpg

Shot out of a CG Summit Unsingle at 33 yards with factory Mod choke (measured at .022). I have shot 1000's of these from the 25 yard line at practice with the same results as 1 1/8 Nitros or my GD reload. Dont know why I don't shoot them at registered targets...one of the "between the ears" things.

Mark

p.s. Tried 1 oz Green Dot before and got inconsistent speeds unless you load it up to 1290 or better. Dont recommend it unless you want a fast load.
  9. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I have been loading Green Dot powder for 1 ounce loads for the past few years. I use a Remington Premier or STS hull, Rem 209P, TGT or Downrange equivalent wad and 18.5 grains of Green Dot. Use this load for both shots in Doubles and it works extremely well.

Actually I use the same bushing and amount of powder for my 1 and 1/8 ounce loads using Green Dot and employ a Rem. Fig 8 or Downrange Fig 8 equivalent wad for an excellent light singles load. (I highly recommend this load, especially if you like to smoke targets).

I have never used a Cheddite primer.

Recently I have switched to Red Dot for 1 ounce loads because they are slightly more economical and work just as well for my Doubles shooting. I am dropping about 17.8 grains of Red Dot for these one ounce loads and keeping all of the other components the same. Broke my first 50 and tied my high score (97 x 100) in doubles with this load. 1 ounce shells for both shots.

To me Green Dot is a good as any ...and better than most shotshell powders.

Play Dead
  10. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

I have been loading Green Dot 1oz loads for maybe 6 years now, for back fence handicap. 20.5 grains, Cheddite primer, AA12SL wad in a AA hull. They work great and low recoil. I'm very recoil sensitive, so I use a Ljutic with release trigger, and a PFS. If I didn't use this combination of gun and shell, I wouldn't be shooting. Oh, and it's fast and patterns great with #8's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.