1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot Powder in a Rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skip, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Is there any reason Green Dot powder cannot be used in a 45-70 rifle cartridge?

Experimenting with 13 grains of green dot with a 405 grain bullet in a 45-70 rifle, the load chroned at 1350 FPS. The recoil was minimal and the shell showed no distortion.

Chamber pressure is the unknown?

Any thoughts please?

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Experimenting with a gun and gunpowder is not a good idea. You normally don't get a second chance to tell when something was to much.

Corey

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

45-70 was originally a black powder cartridge. There are som Blue dot loads for 221 fireball, and a few other anomalies but Green Dot is way too fast for most metallic use.

Maybe some very slow speed cast bullet loads, but why tempt fate?

I have it on good authority that Tim Allen of Tool Time is experimenting with Green Dot in the 300 Win Mag.

HM

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Are there any signs of excess pressure? Flattened primer, dimpled firing pin dent on primer, hard extraction of fired round could all be signs of excess pressure. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

skip- I like to experiment with different things. But, if I were inclined to experiment with different gun powders I would first get the equipment necessary to do reasonable experiment ion. You need to stick with either a good reloading manual or a good pressure gun. Both very low and very high pressure can be dangerous in a rifle.

Pat Ireland

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Unique may be a better choice as there are any number of lead bullet loads listed for it.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Skip:

You may want to check out SR 4759 from IMR. This powder is bulky and is intended for reduced and/or cast bullet loads in large capacity cases like the 45-70.

Another powder option is Accurate XMP 5744. I used to use this powder in the .223 to make a .223 shoot like a .22 Hornet in velocity and noise level.

There are published loads for both SR 4759 and XMP 5744 for the 45-70 in the Speer reloading manual.

Green Dot in a rifle would scare me, especially with heavy bullets. Fast powder plus heavy bullets and a weak action (i.e., a trapdoor Springfield) may add up to a bad day at the range.

Ed Ward

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Give Trail Boss a try. You will get mild velocities and minimal recoil without the possibility of an overcharge. Stay away from the fast shotgun/pistol powders in this big case, that is a disaster in the making.

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

"Is there any reason Green Dot powder cannot be used in a 45-70 rifle cartridge?" Other than risking injury to yourself (I don't care) or others (think of your family and friends) along with possibly destroying your gun, I really can't think of any. C'mon, experimenting is one thing, but don't get carried away (pun intended).

10. skip

skip Member

Thanks for the comments everyone, guess the best thing to do is use a receipe.

I reload right at the shooting bench and enjoy experimenting.

Thanks again!

11. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

Quote:
    "I reload right at the shooting bench and enjoy experimenting."

Please...let me (and the rest of us) know your state and the range you shoot at so I can plan to be no where near you when you "experiment".

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have reloading equipment...sorry.

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Remind me not to loan my Shiloh Sharps to this guy!!!!

Ken

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

at_trap_89- I see nothing wrong with reloading on a bench rest at the range. When I was shooting competition rifle, I did a lot of that.

Pat Ireland

14. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

Pat:

I see nothing wrong with exactly what you describe either...provided safe reloading practices (like following published data) are followed. I didn't realize I wasn't clear the problem is the whole "I enjoy experimenting but guess the best thing to do is use a receipe." thing. There is no guessing about it - if someone is not following data, rather cramming all sorts of powders in all sorts of loads/calibers then I stand by my statements that A) I don't want to be on the range with them; B) they shouldn't have reloading equipment.

Would I be correct to believe that you at least followed published reloading data when tailoring these custom loads at the range?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can i reload rifle ammo with green dot
green dot 223 loads
green dot 45-70 reload
green dot load data 45-70
green dot powder for 223
green dot powder in low pressure handgun loads

greendot gun powder

using green dot powder in rifle loads