1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GREEN DOT or RED DOT ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

I use Green Dot or PB for all of my 1-1/8oz loads, they just produce less felt/perceived recoil for a given velocity than any of the faster burning powders. For 1oz loads Red Dot, 700X or Clay Dot work fine for me.

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

For 1150 fps Red Dot is all you need. Green Dot will not have less recoil at the same velocity. 700x is a good powder, similar to Red Dot. Both relativly fast powders good for moderate to light loads. For 1150 fps you have what you need.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I thought this was going to be about the color of the bead LOL.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Both are very good powders!!! Red Dot is cheaper to use in the 1150 fps range. It starts to get hight pressures at 1200 fps and you have to really watch what components you have to be safe, it is also a better powder in one oz. loads. Green Dot is a better powder of loads of 1200 fps to 1250 fps "l l/8 oz.". As Said above there is no difference in recoil between the powders at 1150 fps. Faster burning powders are cheaper to use in the ll50 range than slower burning powders as they require less powder to perform their task. 700X, Claydot, Clays, Red Dot are the biggest sellers. Break-em all. Jeff

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like Red Dot for 1 oz. loads and Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz. loads and I load to around 1125-1150 fps.

The burning rate of the powder IMO does not appreciably change the recoil sensation as the burn time is so fast. The burn rate may affect the amount of distortion of the shot pellets.

From what I have read from many previous posts on this subject, in the 1150 fps range, is that Green Dot will produce a slightly denser (more pellets) pattern in the 10" center of the pattern than Red Dot.

Years ago, one of the major gun writers claimed that 19.5 grains of Green Dot, a Rem 209P primer, a TGT12 or Fig8 wad and 1 1/8 oz of magnum shot in a STS hull produced the tightest patterns of any load that he had yet tried. He claimed ultra tight patterns even with plain chilled shot.

What is nice about each powder is that it is made in the USA, is widely available and there is an abundance of load data for each powder.

Ed Ward

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

He asked a question, then deletes his post?

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm currently using Red dot in a 1.1/8oz load can I interchange PB powder for the red dot safely. I've got about 5 lbs of it that I'd like to use up.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X for both...

Use the "KISS" principle.

Curt

9. John55

John55 Active Member

You can't substitute PB for Red Dot and get the same velocity, grain for grain. Look up some loading data and find a load using PB that will duplicate your Red Dot load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you use red dot powder and green dot interchange

difference between green dot and red dot powder

do green dot loads have less recoil than red dot

powder that is similar to red dot

recoil with red dot or green dot

unique vs green dot

when to use red dot and green dot

which powder bun faster red dot or green dot