1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GREEN DOT OR 700X- Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by royboy, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royboy

royboy Member

I am just wondering which is the most consistent with drops, sofest recoil, cleanest, and produces the best pattern??

2. junior winner

junior winner TS Member

i have never used 700x but i used to shoot green dot it was a good powder but it was a little dirty and since it is slow burning it took more powder than per drop than others. currently i use american select with an rcbs grand and i have had zero problems and extremly clean i can shoot 1000 rounds and the barrel is just shiny with a little plastic residue

3. junior winner

junior winner TS Member

with rcbs grand i use a winchester 209, AA hull red or gray, 18.5 grns. am. sel. powder bushing #435 AA 12 claybuster replacement wad 1 1/8 oz #8 i shoot a browning xt 32" with a # 6 wrights compitition choke i shot last saturday at the MO sctp shoot and hit a 196 i have good luck with it and suggest trying it.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am using green dot for my 1 1/8 ounce loads and it seems to work fine. I load 1 ounce and 7/8 ounce and I use 700X. I have used 700X for 43 years and it really works good. I think I like PB even better than green dot for my 1 1/8 ounce loads, but it is kind of a pain to load as its pretty fine and makes a mess in my loader. It costs more than green dot too.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Never met a 700X load I liked and never have found a Green Dot that I don't like :)

7. gslam

gslam TS Member

I have shot both for several years and have decided that I only need green dot now. If you shoot 1 1/8oz loads over 1200fps, which I do, green dot is best. It kicks less, builds less presure on hot loads and patterns terrific. I shoot 1220fps on single loads with 18.8gr of green dot. A matching load of 700x is 18.3gr. which is sharper and not enouph powder difference to talk about. I shoot 21gr. of green dot at 1290fps for handicap and second shot of doubles and that is out of 700x country due to presure thus green dot again is the only one I need. They both shoot the same amount of dirt or dust but so does a factory load, that is why they invented solvent, so what. I have tried a lot of other powders which I won't mention since the question was about these two. Green Dot is the best trap powder there is in my book.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Clays and Clays International will meet your criteria. Fred

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have switched to Alliant powders for shot shell and am well pleased. I still use IMR powders for rifle, especially IMR 4895, as I have several loads that have shot well for me over the years and I am reluctant to change. Alliant is USA made and that is important to me.

I used to use IMR 700X in the Federal paper hull as it was more dense than Red Dot and gave a better crimp. I also used to use PB in the Federal Gold Medal plastic hull as the old Gold Medal plastics I cut open looked to be loaded with PB and they shot well for me, especially the Extra Lite.

I have now switched to Alliant E3 in the STS hull for 1 oz. and Alliant Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz. in the Federal Gold Medal plastic hull. I am well pleased with both Alliant E3 and Green Dot.

In particular, 19.3 grains of Green Dot, F209A primer, Federal 12S3 wad and 1 1/8 of hard 8's makes a really soft shooting load. It smashes targets all the way back to the 27 and beyond.

If I had to live with only one powder, it would be Alliant Green Dot.

Ed Ward

10. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

700x,clean burning,as far as recoil,as with any powder depends on the load,I load 7/8oz for 16 yd practice with great results.and also 1-1/8oz for 27yd could shoot all night and then some!(but deffenatly dont get enough )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester aa 1 oz 700x