1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green dot metering?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybuster1187, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybuster1187

claybuster1187 Member

Hi,
    I am having a real hard time getting a consitent load out of green dot. I will get it set, then it will jump up or down .4 to .6 grains. What should I do?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I've had the same issue and had an all American tell me the same thing. I noticed if I keep the loader topped off with powder it stays more consistent.

3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Fill the hopper.

Throw about 20 or so charges. Then see if it is fairly stable.

I can get +/- 0.1 gr on my Dillon with just about any flake powder.

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Some experts on here will tell you how they drop + or - .1 grn on green dot! Will call bullshit on that one! I can make a lot of money wagering with them! However, it is a damn good powder. Just run it to the heavy side and you will be fine! Tom Rhoads

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Get the Downrange Manufacturing's red *plastic* powder baffle and you drop range will shrink considerable.

Use the same stroke and rhythm, keep tube at least half full and fill them up.

Bob

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As Bob said, the key to consistent charges with any powder is a consistent loader operating cycle. Cut open some factory shells and weigh the charges - you won't worry about yours nearly as much!

Ed

7. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Ed, since I can't afford to buy and shoot new shells much less cut them apart to weigh powder drops perhaps you can share your results with us. How much variance did you find in factory loads?

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Depending upon brand, I found as much as eight-tenths of a grain variation over 10 shells.

Ed

9. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I use the red powder baffle on my 9000 and every time I measure I am within .1 grains with Green Dot.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Green Dot is the most consistent powder I've ever chronographed. My drops are 19.9 to 20.2 with a Mec Jr. 10 shots will chrono with a standard deviation of 8.9 feet per second. No factory load can come close to that. In fact gun Clubs have a S/D of 29.2.

Wayne

11. claybuster1187

claybuster1187 Member

Thank you, for your help. I have a pw so I can't use the red baffle. We are still having trouble with it. We just got about 4 in a row that were 20.8, then we did 4 more and got between 21.7 and 21.3. I'm out of ideas. Any other advice?
    Thanks,
    Jason

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jason... Don't worry about it, just load them and shoot them. This is one of the "trivia" things that the late Frank Little discussed in his clinics that make no difference in your shooting. It will only matter if you let it matter. I load 22 grains Green Dot in my 27yd. handicap loads and it's not uncommon to get about 1 grain less on occassion (very rare for it to weigh more). Trust me, you will never notice the difference, and neither will the target... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I'm reclose to beliefs similar to tcr1146 with my beliefs. I am an avid user but have never not ever had the results many attest to. I have primarily loaded on mecs for a number of years and have a drawer full of plastic and metal baffles. I acheived as consistent if not more so results with no baffles. Powder has been used through a host of loaders but rather limited on pw's. I've never been able to load say 100 shells and get plus or minus. 2 grains on any of them including the Spolar which is presently used.I've built some darn stable/sturdy tables, used from delicate to slam dunk operation and everything inbetween. A variance of t/- of..5 grains wouldn' t be uncommon I don' t believe if 50 consecutive charges were weighed. Load a few more and it will be back to the 20.8 area.

I would say the 21.7 gr and a drop with grains or a piece of denser material such as a piece of lead was involved with charge.

14. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Jason, I'm loading on a PW as well and I've noticed the same thing. Especially when you first begin the loading session and must cycle the machine several times to load shells in the machine before dropping the first load. The extra settling in the bushing will cause the first load to drop quite heavy. I will add that if you knock on the powder hopper a little to settle the powder after its first poured in prior to beginning the loading process your results will be more consistent at the beginning. Otherwise it takes quite a few cycles to settle it and you will see more inconsistent drops on at least your first 25 shells until the vibration of working the machine compacts the powder. Once its settled you should be more consistant I get pretty consistent 19.9-20.2 drops with this technique until the powder gets down to about 1/4 of the hopper, then I begin getting around 19.3. So keep the hopper topped off and make sure you are consistent with your speed and force on each cycle. I've loaded clays, claydot and extra lite and those powders metered better than green dot at least for me. I loaded several hundred for handicap last week-when I began it was dropping 20.2 or so but once my hopper got down to 1/4 it dropped to 19.3-19.4 and I loaded many shells in between. All that said, I really didn't notice very much difference between shells when I shot them. So I think there has to be a large difference in weights before you'll notice a decrease or increase in performance. Of course I didn't chrono the shells either so I am just saying by how they shot.

15. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

One more thing you could try is to very lightly tumble the powder container to remix it before dumping it in the loader. If it took heavy vibration in shipping some of the powder flakes broke up into smaller pieces and will drop more heavily if there is enough of it. Gently mixing the powder should help with that. I know lots of people use this powder and swear it meters well but I haven't had that experience with it. I don't know if the chemicals they treat it with to slow down the burn rate affect the way it flows through the machine or what. Please keep me posted as I am interested in figuring this out too.

16. claybuster1187

claybuster1187 Member

Jason,
    That is exactly what happened when I startednloading the first few were off, then it got more consistent. It seemed to change depending on how high I filled the powder. I just finished loading 3 cases and they satued a consistent 20.7 - 20.9. I already shake the keg, but that definitely helps.
    Thanks,
    Jason

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If you have a Mec, the powder baffle is a great idea. The baffle goes between the bottle and loader. It keeps the charges more even.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm always surprised how powders like PB and Clays seem to drop consistently within .1/grain regardless of how I jiggle the handle or lack a powder baffle (Spolar). Not so with Green or Red Dot with any of my former reloaders (PW) or my current one (Spolar). Probably just a head game as the reloads with varying amounts of powder still break targets.

Anyway, PB and it's superior drops eliminates one more monkey on my shoulder and I'm willing to eat the additional expense-except for the old standby-Red Dot in Federal papers!!

19. C-Money

C-Money Member

I agree with not letting it get to you. I just had this conversation with my Dad concerning Clay Dot. I was getting 17.8 to 18.6, found this was when the powder hopper was getting low. Now I just fill it up a little more often and problem solved. I could not tell a difference in my shooting after I found this, and shot thousands of shells before I knew of the variation in load drops, with out a problem.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Wow, if a couple ot tenths of grain drop variance is bothering you, how much does the wind, rain, amount of light, chokes used, pitch of the stock, height of the comb, rib, etc., type of hulls, wads, primers, etc., length of forcing cones, backboring, recoil reduction systems, and all including last but not least, not wearing the same color underwear you had on when you shot your best round, cast doubt in your mind?

Sometimes I think us trapshooters should spend more money on a shrink, than on shells, and guns. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.