1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot Loads - Any Suggestions for Hndcp?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steven R. Scheib, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

Just bought some Green Dot and thought about loads for Handicap. Any ideas? I appreciate it. Steve

2. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

I load 1 1/8 cap loads with Gdot. I use 21.5 gr of powder with a win WT12 (orange) wad. Win primers with AA gray hulls. This works well for me. They shoot soft and hit hard. GL, Big Al

3. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

Steve, Consult the Alliant reloading guide (paper on online) and load up some 1200 fps. 1 1/8 oz. shells with your favorite wad/primer/hull and start smashing targets. Have fun.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

This is a great powder for handi-cap and game shooting. I use 22.5 grains in a Paper Federal with a 12c1 or the claybuster red 8. I use Federal primers. the same load can be loaded in a plastic with a 12s3 in either the top gun hull or the Gold meadl. As has been said... the Allient web site will give you all the combinations and you can print off what you would like to try. Jeff

5. easy100

easy100 TS Member

In ww case use 19.5 gr in 1 1-8 oz great load.

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

AA hull

winchester primer

1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2

blue duster

20 grains green dot

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

handlepuller+: Is right on. That's the load I use from the 27.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Recipe(s) for...
    Shotshell Shotshell 12 Gauge
    • 2 3/4-in. Rem. Premier, STS Plastic Target Shells
    • 1 1/8 shot wt.
    • Rem. 209P
    • Rem. Fig. 8

Dram Equiv. Shot Wt.
    (ounces) Velocity
    (fps) Primer Powder Wad Grains Approx. psi
    3 1/4 1 1/8 1,250 Rem. 209P Green Dot Rem. Fig. 8 21.5 10,700

I shot this recipe for a little while, from 16yards. just used up powder and wads.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Never prints out the same as copied? Alliant web site load data best shot

10. gslam

gslam TS Member

19.6 grains with a figure 8 wad 1 1/8oz. Win or Fiocchi primer, in any Win or Rem hull will duplicate the Win 1250fps handicap load exactly. I use it for everything in handicap and second shot of doubles and it can't be improved on. It is about 1260fps. as soft as a handicap load can be and still do the job at long range.

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Gold Medal plastic

Fed. 209A

19.5 GD

12S3

1 1/8 oz

Gold Medal plastic

Win. 209

20.5 GD

12S3

1/1/8 oz

A light and a heavy for you Steve. I will always have these with me if you'd like to try a few.

12. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

STS or AA Hulls

19.5 gr. GD using WW primers
    20.0 gr. GD using Rem primers

DownRange Versalite wad

This is an outstanding hcp load for 1 1/8 Oz loads. It patterns very well and will give you 1200 FPS speed.

13. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

The recipe below is from the Alliant reloading guide.

3---1 1/8---1,200---Rem. 209P---Green Dot---Windjammer---20.5---8,200

I have made it slightly hotter by using the Winchester 209 primer.

I haven’t reloaded for handicap lately but when I do this reload has been quite good.

I strongly encourage you to use the reloading guide offered to us on line. You can find it by clicking on the above address.

Dale,

[​IMG]

14. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

Martin, You mention a light load at 19.5 and a heavy load at 20.5 How do you differentiate when you will use one or the other? I'm loading old AA hulls that I have stored away, with Winchester primers and 1 1/8 white wads. Kay told me he used 19.2 for a singles & doubles load, and a 20.5 for handicap. Not sure if he is still shooting reloads but all he ever used was Green Dot. Is there that much difference from 19.5 to 20.5? Another issue I have is, I have an adjustable charge bar. One morning it drops 19.2 or 19.3 and the next morning it drops over 20. What causes this change? Is it barometric pressure or humidity? Just curious. Thanks everyone for the advise. Right now I'm between 19.5 and 20.0 hoping my Mec drops the same on each downstroke. I really appreciate the feedback. Steve

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My all time favorite load for Green Dot was STS hull, STS209 primer, 19.1gr Green Dot, Fig-8 wad and 1 1/8 West Coast magnum shot. That load was very consistent and produced an average of 1170fps through a full choke.

Adding an extra grain of Green Dot will add approximately 50 fps to the load.

I don't get the large variations in drop weight day to day that you do using regular bushings, so I'd suspect the adjustable charge bar. Check yours. When you are setting up a new charge weight, turn the adjustment screw in past where you think you want to go. Then reverse your turning, take all the play out of the threads and move back to where you think you need to be. Adjust until you reach the desired throw weight, but always turn the screw in the same direction, the direction that enlarges the cavity. If you go too far an must reduce the opening, repeat the procedure above. Close the cavity more than needed, reverse, make sure all play is out of the threads, and move to the new position. Then lock the adjustment screw if your press has this feature.

The advantage of making sure all the play is out of the threads before you adjust is it puts pressure and friction on the threads and make the adjustment much less likely to move, especially if you can lock the adjustment screw. This is what I think causes your problem.

The advantage of always moving out is that if something comes loose and the size of the powder cavity changes, it gets smaller. That's safer than getting larger.

Most people use the slower shell for singles and the first shot of doubles, and the faster shell for handicap and the second shot of doubles. There is more than enough energy in both loads to break targets from the 27, but the faster shell seems more direct. Bang..Break instead of Bang....Break.

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I use the same recipe as handlepuller for 27 yard. Wayneo

17. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

For the 27 I use 20.5 gr of Green Dot in a Remington hull, Remington primer and Winchester WT12 wad. Of course 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s. This load is about equal to the factory Nitro 27 with less standard deviation.
    The FPS was about 1230.

This was tested over ZZT's chrono as were the factory Nitros. Interestingly the book lists this load as not even 1200 fps which makes me suspicious of all reloading data.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Steve, I really don't use the 20.5 gr load anymore and haven't for several years but usually still carry some along for the "what_ever_reason". It is the 1200 fps load. The other is my handicap shell and I have used it for atleast 5 years faithfully. I do not see the need for speed and thus over the years have gone to the 1150 fps design.

Yes Steve 1 gr makes a difference with GD. The 19.5 gr load at about 1150 fps turns into 1200 fps with just 1/2 gr more.

I was at quite a few shoots last year where Kay was and even shot with him some. I ever saw him using was factory loads.

As for the charge bar, do you check your jobs after you have started loading at intervals. Why I ask is I wonder if your adjustable bar is creeping slightly larger through the reloading process thus increasing cavity size. They will do this. I have not found GD to be sensitive to barometric and humidity changes, atleast not enough to notice much of a difference in drops. Do you throughly shake or tumble the powder inside a new keg prior to opening to get the heavier/lighter flakes mixed?

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Kay shoots New Remington STS ammo. I usd to but at near 80.00 per last I will be loading shells when mine run out. Jeff

20. IM390

IM390 Member

Here's a good one: Top Gun, Fed 209a, windjammer 1 1/8 oz shot and 19.5 GD will be 1160 fps.

Take that load in a AA with a win209 primer and you are now at 1200fps and then some.

My chronie shows on an average of 5 shots the top gun about 20 fps higher than the published 1145 and the AA load also about 20 fps higher.

Now, with that in mind shoot 27 with full choke and the AA AND
    shoot 16 with the top gun with IC.

You will not believe what the chokes can do for you until you pattern them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

21 grains of green dot in top gun shell

green dot handicap reload