1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green dot loading heavy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jason Hassler, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Trying out a load for 11/8 handicap loads and it calls for 20 grains of green dot. The bushing called for in the chart is suppose to load exactly 20 but is consistently dropping over 22. Had to drop down two bushing sizes to meet the weight. Also got very inconsistent drops with this powder as compared to clay dot. We confirmed the results with two different scales. Anyone else have problems with this powder doing this? I know powder lots vary but two grains?

2. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Jason, We use lots of green dot. Every jug has to be recalibrated. When we do get drops that are (as any powder) heavy and inconsistent or light we find that it is from some place besides the powder.All and all we get real consistent drop.

Mark

3. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Unless you know that bushing has dropped 20 grains in the past, and now drops 22 grains, why would you question the powder? Bushing charts are just a guide. I can't remember a MEC bushing ever dropping exactly what the chart suggested and I often end up 2 bushings off. That said, powder densities do change lot to lot and I've often seen average drops vary by as much as 0.5 grain by lot, but not more.

So I don't see that you have a problem unless you don't like the variability of the drops. I've burned over 200 lbs of Green Dot in 3 gauges and the variability has always been +/- 0.15 grains. Other powders may meter more consistently, but the proof is in the pudding....despite an extreme spread of 0.3 grains, the the ballistics are very consistent, so that's close enough for my G. Dot loads.

4. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I've never used green dot before so I'm gathering information. I purchased a pound to try it out and was curious if anyone has had any issues with it. My bushing charts have been pretty accurate with my other loads and this is the first time I've had to drop down two bushing sizes to get the drop I want.

5. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

The bushing I'm using is suppose to drop 17.9 but is yielding 20.1-20.5. Haven't had that much variance from the charts to the actual data with clays or clay dot.

6. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Have you measured the bushing?

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

That's interesting, Jason, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, all that's important is that you wind up dropping what you want. Sounds like you found a bushing that works. I have charts but seldom use them except as a starting point the first time I try a new combination. They're all scribbled up with red ink indicating what they REALLY drop. Each powder bottle gets a label on the outside of it with MY results for various bushings.

If you're getting 20.3 +/- .2 I'd say you're good to go.

8. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

No I haven't measured. The original bushing I purchased for the load was dropping over 22 and I was wanting 20. So I had to drop down two sizes to get a 20ish load. The bushing I ended up with is listed as 17.9 but is giving me 20.1-20.5

9. fishguts

fishguts Member

Jason, sounds like what is really wrong is that you are questioning the process and that being 2 bushings off from the MEC chart is whats really concerning you. As long as you have a scale and use it properly go with the weights that you get from your scale and NOT from the charts...2 bushings lower is not uncommon.

Wayne

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

One thing you might try is loading 5 shells and cutting them up to weigh them. You may get a different result than if you put a hopper under your powder drop. Same is true with your shot.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of the things that I liked about Green Dot was that the density was very similar jug to jug. Rarely did I have to switch out bushings. But like another poster said, bushing charts just get you in the ball park - the scale tells the truth. Use the bushing that give the desired result.

12. DC

DC TS Member

Just had the same thing happen with Red Dot dropping 1 gr. more out of a bushing PW K or .454 contacted alliant and was told no big deal change to a smaller bushing.

13. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I have 3 #33 bushings and all 3 drop a little different wieght. I just mark the one I need on each jug of powder I use. New jug, just start all over again. Green dot or Red dot. The chart just gets you close.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

My drops with Green Dot only vary 1 to 2 TENTHS of a grain. My loader is bolted down solid to the work bench, and I don't let the handle slam back up. Once a flake powder settles in the bottle it should be pretty consistent.

Wayne

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a universal charge bar or a Dillon 900SL. No need of bushings. Also humidly will change the weight */- a grain or more. Keep your caps tight and remove the powder from the reloader if you have a lot of variance in heat and humidly.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It should not be off that much, something is not right. HMB

17. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

HMB- mec bushings are always off. Everyone reloading should have a scale,and weigh the drops. I use an empty shell to check,instead of using the pan. I just zero the scale with the empty on it. Green dot has a very consistent velocity.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Not that much. HMB

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have used Green Dot for 12 Ga.and 20 Ga. for years. I have never had a problem of any kind in any weather; very hot to very cold.

I have heard that it is good practice in general to shake up the powder cannister before filling the powder bottle of your reloader. Sounds reasonable. Double based powders have components of different specific gravities and perhaps sizes and shapes so it may settle a bit. A good shake to mix it up couldn't hurt.

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jason, first stupid question on my part for you. Was the cansister sealed that your one pound came in?

Second, Does the powder have green identifying flakes in it?

Third, what is the specific bushing number and was it bought new or second hand?

Fourth, how old and where did you get the referrence number for said bushing to drop amount stated?

Now everyone assumes your loading on a Mec. If so, an Alliant manual I have handy on my desk states a #33 will drop 20.3 gr of Green Dot. It is the newest I believe and its the one with a bench rest shooter on the cover. In a Lyman fourth edition manual I also have here it states that a #33 will drop 19.0 gr. of Green Dot and that it takes a #35 to drop 20.3 gr. Point being is that never trust printed data. Only trust a scale and two scales is not unreasonable until you become accustomed to specific drop amounts of bushings related to that powder.

For referrence, the last several kegs of Green Dot I've used have required #34 to get in that 20.3gr range.