1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

green dot load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgun1957, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

what bushing is the best with green dot powder i would like to use windjammer wad or spolar gold

2. cfchief

cfchief Member

the one that throws 20 grains

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Seriously, if you reload, you NEED a scale. What cfchief said is correct. Get a scale and use it. Use whatever bushing throws the weight of powder you want.

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

5. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

i don,t know why i bothered asking this ?

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

We don't either, because not only do you need a scale, in order for anyone to answer this question and give you any advice, you would need to mention the hull, primer, weight of shot, what muzzle velocity you are looking for, and the kind of reloader you are using.

And the right answer is still, the bushing that gives you the weight of powder you need for your load.

7. rayman

rayman Member

Mec 33 bushing should drop 20.2 grains, this will vary with the different lots of powder. sometimes you will need a 34 bushing. Good load with windjamer.
    Ray

8. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

thank you ray thats what i was looking for

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

shotgun1957--I think they are only looking out for your well being. Nobody wants a shooter to hurt themselves by a reloading mistake. I once asked a similar question here and got a similar answer. After some cool down period on my part, i realized the folks just didn't want me to get hurt. I have since made my reloading as safe as i can and that includes weighing and re-weighing to make sure everything is as it should be. I load alot of Green Dot and i'll tell you it varies from batch to batch so much that at times i'll have to go 2 to 3 bushing numbers different to get the same loads i'm use to.

10. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

ok and thanks again for all of all of your helpon here i will get me a set of scales so you would check what about every ten boxes or so, my recipe i would really like and i,m open to suggestions because i had a friend give me almost 8 pds of green dot i usually shoot red dot, i like the spolar gold wad and i have claybusters to and i have several thousand remington primers and i will use remington gold hulls/nitro 27,s so yes i was a little hasty in my remark and i apoligize to you all, and again thank you for your help and consideration this is a very helpful place to get any shooting related info.
    oh and 7.5 shot

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Honestly, i may be a little anal in my weighing but i'm not sure you can be too safe. I always weigh with a new batch of powder even if the machine was already set up for loading the same kind and the batch number on the jug is the same. Once i'm set up and loading, i'll weigh several of the first few powder drops and then again after say a couple boxes worth. Then i'll spot check once and awhile the whole time i'm loading. Its just a good habit to get into. I've caught my machine dropping heavy or light midway thru my loading session and it probably saved me from making a bunch of under and over loaded shells.

I actually have a Pacific Beam Scale but the one i use most is a $32 digital(MTM brand) from Gamaliel. It will weigh in ounces and grains both with just a push of the button making it east to check powder drops as well as your shot drops. It even comes with a calibration weight and instructions for easy recalibration to assure its reading right. It also came with the batteries and a hard plastic box to keep it in. I have checked it against my beam scale and it is very accurate. I just prefer it because its faster than the beam scale.

12. Supersport

Supersport Member

I use a #36 bushing which gives me abotu 21.5g. This is my all around load for game shooting. Should clock about 1250 or so.

I have weighed with a lot of different bushings and when going from one to another, I get very different differences. After weighing charge with a bunch of different bushings, I will NEVER go by what the charts say. They were extremely far off for my setup.

Good luck.

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

A hornady #471 throws 20.4 grains of green dot.......at least ours does.....

14. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Maybe I'm too conservative, but some of you guys are scaring me. I like green dot but it varies more from lot to lot than most any powder I've used. Bushings are never exactly alike, subject to manufacturing tolerances. Single stage versus progressive also intoduces variables. I consider bushing charts only a guide to get me close. My advice is stick to published data and use a scale.

15. bigben

bigben Active Member

Exactly what Mr. Smith says, I have 2 8 pounders of green dot, SAME lot numbers, 3 bushing sizes difference, should you use this powder without a scale, you are a fool! incinerate em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.