1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot hunting load

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by vmthtr in green bay, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

I want to use Green Dot and AA's with a 1 1/4 load. Can't find any data anywhere. Google is not my friend today. Anyone have any data for this??

Mike

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You'd be better off to use IMR 4756 powder for hunting loads..

Curt

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've never heard of a 1 1/4 oz Green Dot load. I'd buy a little bit of Herco or Blue Dot for this situation.

ss

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

vmthtr:

There's an inverse relationship between speed of powder burn and weight of the payload. As the weight of payloads increase, the burn rate for appropriate powders goes down. Otherwise, chamber pressures would spike dangerously (maybe catastrophically) high.

The bottom line?? The burn rate for Green Dot is simply too fast for an ounce and a quarter of shot. As others have noted, you'll have to use a slower burning powder.

sissy

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Sissy gives you the very best advice. Don't try it on the 1 1/4 loads. There are many powders out there that are designed for that load and green dot is not one of them. To say it would be dangerous is an understatement. Jackie B.

6. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

OK. I just have a bunch of it and thought I would try to use it. Thanks. Maybe that is why I can't find any data for it???

7. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

You can make a very nice load at 1 1/8 oz. Try 21 grains it is great on upland game birds

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

vmthtr:

That is indeed why you can't find data for it : )

Bob makes a pretty good point if you're hunting upland birds like pheasants. Unless the birds are flushing wild and long, an ounce and an eighth of 5's, 6's, or 7 1/2's running at 1200 to 1250 fps is a good choice.

sissy

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I used to use regular trap loads with 1 1/8 oz shot and Green Dot powder. I now use 16.8 grs. Green Dot with 1 oz. shot. Have never needed more.

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The Lyman reloading books, number 4 and 5 list two loads with Green Dot for a 1-1/4 field load. The pressure is high and I would suggest you find a slower powder. There are better powders that will handle the loads you want with less pressure and wear on the gun.

Ajax

11. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

What RecoilSissy said. GD is too fast to get 1 1/4oz. weight moving. Try a rem rxp12 wad with 1 1/8oz. & rem hull. 22gr.Greendot @1250fps. =9400pressure. (Alliant.com)

12. Beni

Beni Member

If shot plenty of game with green dot oz.quater loads,everything from crows to pheasants. I used to load green dot for trap so I had plenty. Look in the lyman 4th. edtion pg 207,see both loads 21.5 and 21 grns. Both loads are highly effective for birds and wont wear your gun out. These loads have been tested by the experts at lyman therefore should be safe. Ive never wore out a gun or really felt any recoil when Im shooting at wild game anyways,,get a hold of some of those lyman books full of data. If you can get a hold of some of Don Zutz articals also good reading and solid load data good luck beni

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you decide against the green dot loads (good advice) consider Win Superfield. It'll get you where you want to be and is also a good load for games with lots of loading data.

Bob

14. johnpe

johnpe Member

When Green Dot originally was put on the market, it was touted and advertised as suitable for 1 1/4 ounces of shot in the 12 gauge. That's obviously no longer true because of high pressure. Since then, hulls, wads, etc. have changed and the old loads are no longer appropriate and in most cases, not safe. I'm sure you can find the old loads in the old reloading manuals, and if you follow them to the "T" they will be OK, but it's much safer to go to a slower burning powder for both of these types of loads. Why take the chance? It's not worth it!!! Unique and similar to slower burning range powders will work well. If you read the Lyman reloading manuals they have some examples of making slight changes in various components. These examples show that even supposedly small changes can result in large changes in pressure. My recommendation is to follow the current reloading information that you can easily find on the internet. Alliant and Hodgdon are two that list a wealth of information on their web sites.

Johnpe

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I used to load 20.5 Grs of Greendot w/1 1/4 oz for buddy shoots and calcuttas in the 70s, broke a lot of 50s w/that load 7.5 shot, AA/hull, Remington 1 1/4 oz wad. pressures and recoil no problem.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

You can get a nice 1 1/4 loads in a AA hull if you swith to blue dot.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

7625, Federal hulls, 1450 FPS.

I'll give you a few to try.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green dot power in hunting loads