1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot for light 1 1/8 oz loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ahab, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yup! Nice soft shooting load!

Be prepared for some to just barely reach the trap house!

Had a friend that loved that load, but had many semi-bloopers! Green Dot does not develop enough pressure for reliable burning , when you go that light!

Either speed up that load ...or...trade for some Clays or Red Dot, with someone that likes fast Handicap loads.

2. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Hi John i use green dot in a gold medal hull for all events. my 16 and both shots in doubles load is 19.5 grains of powder 209a primer DRF3 wad with #8s, hcp load is 21.5 grains #7.5. soft shoting loads and they do clear the trap house very well. my averages may not be as great as ahab but i made 27yds and broke 200 with those loads and carry a AA-AAA doubles avg with them. Steve Wolf 9910232

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Green Dot should work well for 1145 fps loads with 1 1/8 oz of shot. I would not hesitate to select and use a load in that velocity range.

4. snkypete

snkypete Member

Here's one I like.

22.5 gr Green Dot, Win. AA hull, CCI primer, Windjammer wad, 1 1/8 oz 7.5

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My handicap load for years was using Green Dot with 1 1/8oz shot for a nominal 1145fps. It consistently gave me SDs in the single digits. I never had a blooper. It was, and is, one of the most consistently performing loads I use.

6. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I have a handicap load that consists of the following

GM plastic

Fed.209A

19.5gr Green Dot

real Fed. 12S3

1.125 oz

Have used this load in sub zero weather without hitch

Ahab, if your friend had those kind of problems he needs to use proper components that as with any powder. It was not green dot that was the problem!

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

good 16 yard 1 1/8oz load:
    19.2 green dot, WAA wad, WAA primer, WAA hull. 1160-1170fps. No bloopers...ever.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I just drop the bushing a couple of numbers from my handicap load and it works fine, never a problem. I can also change the bar to one ounce and keep the bushing, likewise never a problem. Of course, I can do the same with Red Dot, but I have to be a bit more careful with the high-end powder weights, that is, at least weigh them.

Neil

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

John: don't be a wussy. 19.5 Green Dot, AA hull or Remington, AA primer, windjammer or Spolar wad, with 1 1/8 oz. of shot = 1200 ft./sec. The book has various wad and primer configurations, but not what you use. But weigh your powder drops and then chronograph the shells and they will be faster... about 1250+. I am using a similar load at 19.7 of Green Dot. The book does have a 1 oz. load with the same powder drop and a Green Duster wad. Fred

10. grouse 1970

grouse 1970 Member

19.6 green dot 1 oz. 8.5 shot rio primer birds are smoke and no signs of high pressure also works well with same powder charge and 1 1/8 oz.and this is out of sts hulls gun club and aa

11. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Green dot at 1145 fps makes a nice load. It patterns very tightly for me, so you may want to go to a modified. Never had a blooper.

12. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Either Rem RXP or Win AA use the factory primer & wad for the hull and 19 gr.s GD

13. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

despite what some have said here, Green Dot works very well for light target loads. I am quite old and I prefer to shoot more and not get the snot kicked out of me.

For lite loads to 22 yards I load, STS hull, 19gr Green Dot, STS primer, WAA12 OR Reproduction wad, 1-1/8oz #8 1200 fps

For 23-27 (and even farther) Nitro 27 hull, 21.7gr Green Dot, STS primer, Versalite wad, 1-1/8oz #7.5 1250 fps

Both are gentle loads gentle and perform flawlessly. The only note I would make on them is that as the temperature begins to get up above 80 degrees and hotter you might adjust down the powder charge or the load will speed up on you, seldom a bad thing!

J.F.

14. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

For 1 1/8 oz. Loads in light, heavy or handicap flavors, I have found that Green Dot is as good as any, and better than most for soft shooting, target crunching loads.

Equivalent powders that I have tried are all more expensive, some arguably equal to Green Dot, but none better. I've been shooting this powder since 1980 and have never had a blooper from the hottest days of summer to the coldest days of winter. My favorite recipes are in a Winchester AA hull, Win 209 primer, WinAA12 wad, 18.7 gr. Green Dot for an 1150 load. In a Remington premier or STS, Rem 209 Primer, Fig8 or RXP wad, 19 gr. of Green Dot. For 16 yard soft shooting shells, these loads will deystroy targets if you do your part. Great Powder!

Play Dead

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

just shot my first reloads. 19.2g green dot,tgt12 wad,1 1/8 oz #8,gun club hulls,fiocchi primer. worked flawlessly

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 ounce green dot recipes
green dot powder loads for aa shells

green dot waa12 recipes

greendot premier
gun club hull green dot
is green dot fast enough for 16 yard loads

niel winston green dot recipe

remington premier hull green dot