1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GREEN DOT FOR 20 GAUGE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

ISEEN SOME LOADS LISTED FOR GREEN DOT AND WINCHESTER AND FEDERAL HULLS USING 7/8
    IN 2O GAUGE.

HAS ANYONE EVER USED THIS POWDER FOR 2O AND IF SO HOW WELL DID IT WORK FOR YOU.

IHAVE SOME SO I WOULD LIKE TO USE IT UP...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It works just fine. I use from 13 to 14.5 grains in my O/U. HMB

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Green Dot is no longer recommended by Alliant for 7/8 oz loads in Winchester and Remington hulls, but there are some for the Federal hulls. Alliant limits their Green Dot - Winchester hull load recommendations to 3/4 oz. See the url for Alliant reloads.

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Green Dot is really a 12 gauge powder, though in the past some considered it sutiable for 20 target loads. Starting several years ago Alliant began stepping down their recommended Green Dot loads for 20 gauge. Improved pressure testing methods showed that the old 14 gr. load behind 7/8 oz of shot was generating excesive pressure. Alliant considers Green Dot in any charge weight unsafe in 20 gas except behind 3/4 oz in 20 ga., and that generates a good amount of pressure. A lot of recipes that we have used for years have changed in recent times and it pays to get current with all the powders you have in inventory.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Use it for 12/16 ga or trade it for something more suitable for the 20 ga. This question comes up often enough, since there "used" to be 20ga data listed for Green Dot. The newer pressure testing methods have prompted many component manufacturers to revise their loading tables from time to time. I believe that this was one of those times. You might "Get Away" with it, but why take the risk for the cost of a little powder? Trade it, gift it, or use it for fertilizer. It's not worth the risk of injury or damage to your firearm.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I heard Briley and/or Kolar asked Alliant/Hercules to reevaluate Green dot in 20 gauge because of he high nmuber of split tubes with Green Dot.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There are better powders for 20 gauge, such as Hodgdon Universal Clays, Alliant Unique, and others.

8. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I think I will just save the green dot for my 12.....

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

dolphin62

Good choice! If you shoot a 12, Green Dot is a great powder for target loads. I use it for a LOT of my handicap loads.

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Flincher....you are right about GD not working in a gas gun.

I was shooting GD in the 20 O/U and getting along just fine, but when I tried it in the 1100, it was no dice. It burns clean in a 20ga., and with a 1150 fps load, the pressure is OK, but if you wanna shoot the same shells in a gas gun, you will be better served with something a little slower in burning rate.

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Green dot does burn slow.

12. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Remstar...Green Dot burns slowER than some others, such as bullseye or Red
    dot, but it is a little on the fast side when used in the 20 ga.

For most loads in the 20 a slowER propellant than GD is to be preferred. Something on the order of Longshot or Unique for example(s).

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Remstar311

Green Dot burns "slow" compared to powders like Clays, Red Dot, Solo 1000, Nitro 100, Titewad, and Promo which are all ideal for light 12 gauge loads.

Green Dot burns "fast" compared to Unique, Herco, 20/28, Universal Clays, WSF, SR 7625, 800X, Longshot, and SR 4756 which are the powders Hodgdon and Alliant list for 7/8 oz. 20 gauge target loads.

sissy

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Got it. I was thinking in 12ga terms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 gauge green dot loads

20 gauge loads green dot
20ga light target loads green dot
alliant powder green dot 20 gauage
green dot 20 ga loads