1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Dot for 16 & Hdcp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by michshooter, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I am considering switching from Titewad to Green Dot for all my trap shooting. It looks like I can get good 1 oz loads for practice, and good 1145 - 1200 1 1/8 oz loads for competition. Is anyone else using Green Dot for everything or are you sticking with Red Dot and Green Dot?

Thanks for the help.

....Paul

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Paul.... I am using Promo for my 1oz 16 yard loads, and for my first shot on doubles. I use Green Dot, with 11/80z, for Handicap and second shot on doubles only. My reasoning is that green dot throws a very tight pattern, and from the 16, that can be a bad thing. The second thing is that Green Dot really doesn't perform to it's best at lower pressures, especially with 1oz. loads. Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I just ran out of Clays and am switching to Green Dot for everything.

tony

4. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

If you are looking for a single powder that excels in the 1145-1200 fps ,
    1 1/8th oz loads, that is the ideal range for Clays...and perhaps Clay Dot and Red Dot. Not the ideal application for Green Dot. Green Dot would be an excellent powder for a 1250 fps 1 1/8th oz load.

WNCRob

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Clays tends to be red lined at normal velocities, and cannot safely generate HCP speeds.

Green Dot will work for your 1 oz loads, but speed will need to be around 1300 fps for reliable, consistent performance. Needless to say, this will BOIL a 16 yard target! This will also be a tremendous Dubs load.

I am going to try Intl' Clays for every thing just to see how one powder can work. Presently I use REX I for Bunker, Skeet, 16's, and Dubs, and Unique for HCP.

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I switched to Green Dot when PB got scarce 15-20 years ago. Low felt recoil and patterns are usually tight. I have always stuck with the primer and wad for the case I load. I have many good scores using 19.5 gr. & 1 1/8 shot. 97 & 98s from 27. Numerous 100 & 200 from 16s. Currently change the shot bushing for first shot in dbl.s to one ounce, everything else the same, low recoil and good breaks.

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

If I was only going to have one powder for 12 ga target loads, it would be Green Dot. I'd prefer something faster (like e3) for 7/8 oz, 1 oz and light 1 1/8 oz loads, simply because you'll use a heckuva lot less powder per shell. But if I could only have one, it would be Green Dot.

~Michael

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

MICHSHOOTER: If I just used one powder, you guessed it, Green Dot. I also use Green Dot for .45 acp loads and all of my 12 ga. shells. Can also use it for .38 Special with good results. I got rid of my one pound cans of numerous powders for my pistol loading and switch over to Green Dot with excellent results. Don't get me wrong, there's hundreds of good powders out there but if you're looking for one powder Green Dot is a fine choice. Used this powder for over 30 years even when Hercules manufactured it. Some people say it's dirty but whether it is or not I clean my guns after firing so that issue is taken away. Darrell

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If I was seriously wanting to use one powder for all, I would use International. NOw that I can't afford PB, that is.

Same burn rate as GD, but cleaner.

That said, I use Titewad for singles and skeet, and Titegroup Nitro clone loads for handicap.

Having another powder doesn't bother me, I have more than 9 or 10 laying around anyway if you count the one pound rifle cans.

HM

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Clays for 1 ounce loads.

Titegroup for handicap.

Why are you switching away from Titewad?

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I just switched to Green Dot from Clays/Clay Dot, because I felt Clays was the reason for the melted plastic lining my bore, and scorching the inside of the STS hulls, thus shortening the reloading life of them. Hopefully the lower pressure = heat will result in better performance and longer hull life.

FWIW.....mike

12. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Michshooter: I have been using Titegroup for everything if you look into the Hodgdon data it works great for 1oz and 1 1/8 oz loads the Nitro 27 1235fps is loaded with Titegroup Look in the book and you can see all the formulas. It also cuts down on you're cost because the charge weight is alot lower than the slower burning powder. I use to use Universal clays but it started costing tomuch using 24.4grains to roughly 17.0 to 17.9 of titegroup try it I like it well I use a Remington primer and Tgt-12 green wad it covers all the loads instead of buying two different wads. Pat.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Green Dot will work for the 1 1/8 oz loads up to around 1250fps, if the selected components allow reasonable pressures. 1oz at around 1200 or higher is OK, provided a decent primer is used for cold weather. Some primers do not give good consistency in colder temperatures. The primers I use for Green Dot in cold weather include the Winchester W209 and the Federal 209A. They seem to give consistent results and I've never had even one off sounding load.

Clays is too fast for reasonable pressures with most 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads. It's a good powder for 1oz loads at reasonable velocities. Clay Dot is similar. Titegroup seems to run pressures up quite a bit in most popular loads. It's a great pistol powder and that is what I use it for.

The two powders I use the most would be Promo and Green Dot. Promo for the lighter stuff and Green Dot for my handicap loads. Green Dot would work for my 1oz loads, but it's not as economical as Promo. 700-X would be a contender if it weren't priced so high.

14. gslam

gslam TS Member

I use Green Dot for both but it is more of a 1 1/8 oz. powder in singles. 18.8 is a good singles load. 22.0 a good start for handicap

15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I have had some recent experience with Green Dot and 7/8 oz loads. I agree with those who said Green Dot works better and burns cleanly with 1 1/8 oz loads. Also works very well with 1 oz loads if you keep the speed up to 1250-1300 fps. Seems like Green Dot likes the additional chamber pressures that 7/8 oz loads just will not generate with a reasonable grain drop of powder. Red Dot seems to work much better in my 7/8 oz loads.

Promo powder, just because of the price, sounds like the powder I’d like to try for my 7/8 oz loads, but haven't yet. After all, isn’t that the main reason that someone would go to 7/8 oz load is to save a little money on reloading cost.

And yes, I am an Alliant “American Made” powder fan, but would consider Hodgdon INTERNATIONAL instead of Green Dot if the price was right.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I try to load the best shells I can. To achieve this, more than one powder must be used. A fast burning powder (Red Dot, American Select, e3) is best for lighter loads (1 oz to light 1 1/8 oz). A slower powder, like Green Dot is best for heavier loads. I use American Select for singles and doubles loads and Green Dot for handicap loads. I believe these two powders will cover any load I would want to use.

I would be convenient to only use one powder, but I will sacrifice convenience for producing the best shell I can.

Pat Ireland

17. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

My pick for a single powder for Trap is Nitro100. I don't need or want to shoot 1 1/8oz loads at more than 1175 fps, and mostly shoot 7/8s and 1oz loads for this discipline. 16 to 17 grains is all you need for any load. Nitro100 is economical, has near perfect volume for making great crimps, burns clean (I don't really care about this) and goes BANG with a unique smell. Makes me happy!

AndyH

18. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

Thanks for all the advice and comments. After thinking about it some more, I have decided to stay with Titewad for my 1150 - 1200 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads and go to either Green Dot or International Clays for my handicap loads. With the price of lead dropping, I probably won't shoot very many 7/8 oz loads, a type of load Titewad doesn't do well unless the velocity is 1300+.

....Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is green dot fast enough for 16 yard loads