1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

green dot for 10z loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Any one using green dot for 1 oz loads. From the loading guide it states 18gr with a TGT12 wad rem primer 1150 fps with a pressure of 6.6psi in a STS hull. Now I know from reading that chamber pressure is suspose to have nothing to do with felt recoil. But I can't help but think these would be very soft to shoot. Any one using something like this? and what are your thoughts? Thanks mike t

2. mike T

mike T Member

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Green Dot is waaaay too slow for 1 oz loads @ 1150fps. If you want to stay with Alliant powders, e3 and Clay Dot, in that order, are excellent for that load. So is Red Dot, but it works a little better if you push the velocity to around 1175fps in winter.

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I use GD with 1-1/8 oz and loaded to 1250 fps. They are noticeably less recoil than slower loads using Clays or 700X, both powders which I really like, but they do kick a bit more.

The only concern with Green Dot that slow and light might be excessive powder residue from very low pressure, but heck, you got to clean your gun anyway, so should not be a big deal.

If you load some up, I would be interested in your perception of them. I use Clays for 1 oz loads right now and have been happy with them. Green Dot is my choice for hotter 1-1/8 loads just due to pressure.

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

When I shot skeet and trap both, I used Green Dot because you can use it in all guages except the 410. I used 18.5 grs with 1 oz loads. The load seemed to do better with the hotter primers. It patterned beautifully and was easy on the shoulder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.