1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Green dot for 1 oz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've got some green dot powder and have been looking at the loads in several manuals. Is it a good choice for a 1200 fps 1oz load? How does it do in the cold weather @30 degrees? Better to use it for 1 1/8oz? Thanks JW

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I used WW209, sub. for Rem 209, 20 gr. Green Dot, 1 oz. lead, and TGT-12 wad in a STS. Fired fine with no problems. Found that it leaves your barrels pretty dirty. Red Dot, 1 oz. load was much cleaner. Temperature was right at 30 degrees, and the shells where in the truck for an hour before shooting. Jon

Update: It is the bottom load of the 12 ga., 1 oz., STS hulls, in the Alliant Reloaders Guide. Just so you can do the discount double check.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've not used either but I would assume that Red Dot would be a better choice for 12 guage 1200 fps 1 oz loads than Green Dot.

John C. Saubak

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I wouldn't recommend green dot for 1oz loads especially in cold weather. I tried 19gr in a premier sts, fio primer, fig 8 wad, 1oz of 7.5. I had 10 out of the 25 cough and sound very light. I would use green dot with 1 1/8 and red dot for 1oz. BYG

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I try to load only published loads, and not ones published in forums. It's too easy to type something wronp. :) Mark (see link above)

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Do a search on older threads. This exact same topic came up about a month ago and got some pretty good discussion.

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Forget Green Dot for cold weather, and there are much better powders for 1oz loads. Best bet is to get some Extra Light for your 1oz loads and save the Green Dot for 1 1/8oz loads for this summer. Another choice for the 1oz is Clay Dot but I found it to be just as filthy as Green Dot. Again, I think Alliant hit a home run with the new Extra Light.

best...mike

8. A CHANCE

A CHANCE TS Member

Shot 100 rounds all Green Dot kept in garage night before temperature was 20 below zero they shot just fine the next morning temp. 11 degrees if they dont fire I tend to beleive it "the indian not the arrow"

9. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I use Green Dot for both 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads. I use a magnum primer(Federal 209A or CCI 209M) and have had zero problems. The hotter primers make the powder burn a little cleaner too.

10. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Have started useing 19gr. in a Rem. hull with a TGT or pink AA claybuster clones for midyardage handicap.
    Seems to be a close copy of the factory 1oz. Rem. gun club load.
    Seems to hold a tighter pattern at distance but it may be all in my head.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 oz green dot loads

green dot 1oz loads

sts green dot 1oz